• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: France vs. England (19/03/2016)

Congratulations England, this is a deserved grand slam.

The last match was entertaining and I think France could have won it. They started strong but their attacking flair vanished once Trinh-Duc walked off injured.

I hope Hartley is ok, it looked really ugly. It was a mighty struggle overall, blood and nasty bruises everywhere. The French couldn't stop the Grand Slam but they did fight ferociously to prevent it.

Ha ha. I'd be inclined to drop the Grand from that. But yeah England you deserved it in this mediocre year.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never said England didn't deserve it. They did. Its just that now, the same old pattern will emerge about how England will win everything going and probably, they won't. That's all. But yeah well done - and I wone a few quid :)

Oh how dare we watch our team beat everyone in Europe and then dare to believe we can do great things . Just get lost . You're just a bitter little man . In 2008 Wales won the grand slam and the standard was poor but it didn't take anything away, it was a fantastic achievement

Oh how dare we watch our team beat everyone in Europe and then dare to believe we can do great things . Just get lost . You're just a bitter little man . In 2008 Wales won the grand slam and the standard was poor but it didn't take anything away, it was a fantastic achievement

And so the insults begin "bitter little man". Give me one example of me being bitter in what you have quoted? I just said probably what a thousand english men said in 2008 - it wasn't that grand. And yet I still said that england deserved it. Ha ha - you get lost you bitter old man lol.

Yawwwwwnnn.

England deserved to win by a country mile. Listen to the words of the second verse of our anthem

You must be very tired; you keep yawning. Suggest you get an early night tonight.

And so the insults begin "bitter little man". Give me one example of me being bitter in what you have quoted? I just said probably what a thousand english men said in 2008 - it wasn't that grand. And yet I still said that england deserved it. Ha ha - you get lost you bitter old man lol.

Its just that now, the same old pattern will emerge about how England will win everything going and probably, they won't.

If that isn't the tired old "England have won one thing and now think they are world beaters, such arrogance" comment then just what is it? That is very bitter.

If that isn't the tired old "England have won one thing and now think they are world beaters, such arrogance" comment then just what is it? That is very bitter.
bbbuttt last time we won a grand slam we did win everything.

Well it is a tad bitter, but there is a ring of truth to it :). At the end of the day, England won a Grand Slam in what was probably a forgettable 6N, not much quality rugby about and none of teams participating made it past the quarters at the 2015 World Cup. I think they a good team in the making, but feet on the ground and all that stuff....

Last 6 Grand slams:
2005 - Wales
Score a penalty in the 77th minute to win against England, slaughter Italy, come back in the last 10 minutes to beat France, hammer Scotland and Ireland.
2008 - Wales
Score a 70th minute try to put them 7 points ahead against England, handily beat Scotland and Italy, scrape past Ireland and beat France.
2009 - Ireland
Play well against France, hammer Italy, 1 point close win over England, limp past Scotland and Steven Jones' last minute miss gave us a 2 point win.
2010 - France
Beat Scotland but not so convincingly, close enough against Ireland for the first 50 until they pulled away, strong against Wales, hammer Italy and barely get past England.
2012 - Wales
Last minute controversial winning penalty over Ireland, comfortably beat Scotland, scrape past England in a tight game, weren't great against Italy and played well against France in a nervy game.
2016 - England
Never seemed under pressure against Scotland but weren't amazing, were put under a lot of pressure by Italy for the first 50 but upped the tempo and ran away with it, played well against an injured Ireland, dominated Wales for the 60 odd minutes and almost let it slip in the last 10, played well against an average France team.

The last 6 grand slams have shown that no grand slam winning team has gone on to completely dominate every match of the tournament. Wales in '08, Ireland in '09 and England in '16 have all had new managers in their first 6 nations and came off the back of a bad RWC where Wales, England and Ireland all went out before the quarter finals. Without a doubt, England fully deserve this grand slam and I can't understand why people are even debating this.

Well it is a tad bitter, but there is a ring of truth to it :). At the end of the day, England won a Grand Slam in what was probably a forgettable 6N, not much quality rugby about and none of teams participating made it past the quarters at the 2015 World Cup. I think they a good team in the making, but feet on the ground and all that stuff....

No it wasn't a vintage 6Ns but you got to take into account that this is in a year when players have been training since early July, then played RWC, back to club matches and then playing 6Ns. SH will be saying that this was the play off for the 5th place for the RWC:).. Now players are going back to club rugby until end of May and then off to play Wallabies, NZ, SA, Arg in June. Non-stop rugby and this is why a global season needs to be put in place, as argued in the other thread. It's just too much rugby and the quality deteriorates as a result. NH will always be at a disadvatantage until this changes.

As much as it pains me to say it, congrats on the 'Slam England ;)

Not been vintage 6 Nations overall (last two round have been much improved though), but that takes absolutely nothing away from the achievement of winning the Grandslam. So anyone chatting rubbish about it not being deserved needs to grow up and stop being so bloody childish.

England still have a hell of a lot to work on before they take on Australia in the summer. Still seem to be conceding a lot of penalties (kept France in the game with that), and they have to make sure they don't give Aus the same opportunities they gave France. Vakatawa (who I thought was excellent) showed Nowell a clean pair of heels a few times down that wing. In Nowell's defence though, I thought he looked very good in attack when he came off his wing, attacking essentially as a 13 at times.

Was again really impressed by Itoje. Clearly is the real deal!

Overall, England were the better team last, and over the course of the tournament so were well worth the win.

We'll have ewe next year! ;)

Last edited:
Just brought the England triples crown winners Tee, the England Six nations champions tee and the England Grand slam winners tee form the RFU store going to wear all 3 to the gym like a boss.

Just brought the England triples crown winners Tee, the England Six nations champions tee and the England Grand slam winners tee form the RFU store going to wear all 3 to the gym like a boss.

Let us know how much weight you lose by sweating. 3 layers may be excessive ;)

No it wasn't a vintage 6Ns but you got to take into account that this is in a year when players have been training since early July, then played RWC, back to club matches and then playing 6Ns. SH will be saying that this was the play off for the 5th place for the RWC:).. Now players are going back to club rugby until end of May and then off to play Wallabies, NZ, SA, Arg in June. Non-stop rugby and this is why a global season needs to be put in place, as argued in the other thread. It's just too much rugby and the quality deteriorates as a result. NH will always be at a disadvatantage until this changes.

The English season is pretty insane, even with clubs below the premiership. When I played over there, pre-season started mid june, pre-season games August and the season ran sep - april. Then we would play in 4 or 5 7s tournaments during may. 4 weeks off and back into it! In Australia our season runs april - august and thats it, 4 months off! I'm surprised professional/international players in the NH don't burn out. I can't imagine anything worse than having to go on a tour to NZ or South Africa at the end of a long season, when your body is already completely wrecked and in dire need of a rest.

I'm surprised professional/international players in the NH don't burn out. I can't imagine anything worse than having to go on a tour to NZ or South Africa at the end of a long season, when your body is already completely wrecked and in dire need of a rest.
They do, 99% of our summer tours are disastrous because from February onwards are players are playing test matches, European matches or domestic playoff matches more than every other week. We need to get rid of our playoff matches and get our European group stage matches done before Christmas every year at the very minimum to allow us to be halfway competetive in Summer.

Sun is shining, roasts in the oven and England have won the grand Slam. Carlsberg don't do Sunday's etc etc

Me personally having a Erdinger wheat beer and just had a nice fry up, but agree with your sentiments.:).

Me personally having a Erdinger wheat beer and just had a nice fry up, but agree with your sentiments.:).

Breakfast of Kings that mate. Although I'd recommend trying some of the other German wheat beers out there! Erdinger is pretty good and the most widely available over here, but definitely not the best.

Breakfast of Kings that mate. Although I'd recommend trying some of the other German wheat beers out there! Erdinger is pretty good and the most widely available over here, but definitely not the best.

Coop's own wheat beer isn't bad and at 1.69 a bottle doesn't break the bank.

Latest posts