• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] New Zealand Squads/Pre-season Discussion

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
I figure all the news can be amalgamated into one thread...

Blues
Josh Bekhuis (Southland)
Jimmy Cowan (Tasman)
Daniel Bowden (Unattached)
Hamish Northcott (Manawatu)

Chiefs
Quentin MacDonald (Tasman)
Mitchell Graham (Taranaki)
Siate Tokolahi (Canterbury)
Michael Allardice (Hawke's Bay)
Sean Polwart (Auckland)
Brad Weber (Waikato)
Jamison Gibson-Park (Taranaki)
Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau)
Seta Tamanivalu (Taranaki)
Hosea Gear (Unattached)
Bryce Heem (Tasman)
Damian McKenzie (Waikato)
Michael Leitch (Unattached) - WTS

Hurricanes
Geoff Cridge (Hawke's Bay)
Iopu Iopu-Aso (Taranaki)
Callum Gibbins (Manawatu)
Ma'a Nonu (Wellington)
Rey Lee-Lo (Counties Manukau)
Willis Halaholo (Southland)
Vince Aso (Auckland)
Ambrose Curtis (Wellington)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu)
Jason Woodward (Wellington)
Otere Black (Manawatu) - WTS
Jade Te Rure (Manawatu) - WTS

Crusaders
Ged Robinson (Hawke's Bay)
Robbie Fruean (Hawke's Bay)

Highlanders
Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay)
Brendan Edmonds (Hawke's Bay)
Ross Geldenhuys (Tasman)
Josh Hohneck (Waikato)
Pingi Tala'apitaga (Bay of Plenty)
Alex Ainley (Tasman)
Mark Reddish (Wellington)
Dan Pryor (Northland)
Fumiaki Tanaka (Unattached)
Marty Banks (Tasman)
Waisake Naholo (Taranaki)
Ryan Tongia (Hawke's Bay)

Italics = not yet confirmed

Last edited:
Graham is an excellent pick-up - from what I've seen he's been as good as any LH in the ITM Cup this season. If he continues his strong form he could well push for a starting spot in the Chiefs, as while Manu and MackIntosh are solid they aren't standouts at Super Rugby level. Can't say Tokolahi has really impressed me, but to be fair I haven't seen a lot of him (but who has?).

I see the signing of Allardice has been confirmed too. He's a good solid lock who does the basics well - exactly what the Chiefs selectors look for in their locks. Tamanivula has also been signed by the Chiefs. He may still be a little raw, but more than warrants a Super Rugby contract given his potential and versatility.

I see Kerr-Barlow is in doubt for the entire Super Rugby season, with the Chiefs seeking dispensation to include another halfback. That must be a slight blow for Kerr-Barlow's RWC aspirations, and certainly opens the door slightly for another halfback if they have a very strong Super Rugby season.

It has also been confirmed that Leila Masaga will not be returning from Japan and that the Chiefs have not signed Fruean for 2015. I'd imagine the Crusaders will try snap him back up.

I'm not so sure Fruean will get snapped up...he's been pretty unimpressive in the ITM Cup IMHO. He looks like half the player he was in 2011 or so. That said I wouldn't be destroyed if the Canes ended up offering him a life line (and if he does recover some form, Fruean and Nadolo could be pretty damn destructive). Actually I'm talking myself around, he looked at his best running hard outside SBW...

It will be interesting to see whether anyone picks up Fruean. He's been ok for Hawke's Bay, but is he worth the risk?

All the talk for the Chiefs seems to be about them signing one last outside back, but between Gear, Lowe, Nanai-Williams, Marshall, Horrell, Tamanivalu and McKenzie, I don't really see any need for another back (though Robinson could return). Where the Chiefs need cover is in the loose forwards where they only have Messam, Cane, Koloamatangi and Squire. Fitzgerald can cover flanker at a pinch, but we desperately need another loosie (potentially someone like George Whitelock would be ideal). Sean Polwart and Carl Axtens spent time with the squad last year, maybe one of those two will get the call up?

Last edited:
I just read Ambrose Curtis got a full Hurricanes contract. The Wellington eyepatch must have firmy affixed when that decision was made, he is pretty darn average, didn't impress at all this season.

I just read Ambrose Curtis got a full Hurricanes contract. The Wellington eyepatch must have firmy affixed when that decision was made, he is pretty darn average, didn't impress at all this season.

Wow, that is disappointing for Canes fans. Curtis is a big strong wing (though there are plenty of player his size or larger playing on the wing these days), but lacks any genuine pace, and is a complete liability on defense. If he receives a contract ahead of someone like Milner-Skudder, who is a substantially better both in attack and defense (and can cover both wing and fullback), it would a travesty.

All the talk for the Chiefs seems to be about them signing one last outside back, but between Gear, Lowe, Nanai-Williams, Marshall, Horrell, Tamanivalu and McKenzie, I don't really see any need for another back (though Robinson could return). Where the Chiefs need cover is in the loose forwards where they only have Messam, Cane, Koloamatangi and Squire. Fitzgerald can cover flanker at a pinch, but we desperately need another loosie (potentially someone like George Whitelock would be ideal). Sean Polwart and Carl Axtens spent time with the squad last year, maybe one of those two will get the call up?

From what I've heard Polwart is in line for a full Chiefs contract this season. He perhaps lacks a bit of size, but he certainly plays hard, and I've been impressed with the fact he has cut out many of the unnecessary penalties that plagued his game in the past. Axtens is an option too, and I wonder whether they will look at giving Nick Crosswell another shot? He's not the most exciting player, but he is versatile and can do solid job if required.

Last edited:
Very pleased with the Canes signing Nehe Milner-Skudder!! (as I mentioned in my ITM prospects thread). He's a very interesting pick up. He's been around a wee while, but he has some very nice skills and a good eye for the gap. Wouldn't mind seeing us get Otere Black either (although he has a lot of competition in NZ atm).

Very pleased with the Canes signing Nehe Milner-Skudder!! (as I mentioned in my ITM prospects thread). He's a very interesting pick up. He's been around a wee while, but he has some very nice skills and a good eye for the gap. Wouldn't mind seeing us get Otere Black either (although he has a lot of competition in NZ atm).

It sounds like Black will be in the WTG for the Hurricanes with Te Rure being a member of a new developmental group.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/10615952/Super-production-line-coming-from-Taranaki

Sounds like Naholo will be heading to the Highlanders.

Rumours are that Gibson-Park will also transfer to the Chiefs because he doesn't want to be playing third fiddle to Hall and Cowan. Evidently he'd rather be playing third fiddle to Pulu and Weber ;)

And Kerr-Barlow if he is fit enough..

Surely the Hurricanes could have used him - considering we have TJP and then...maybe Chris Smylie?

Was kind of hoping Hurricanes would get Naholo, but not too disappointed. Highlanders probably need a decent winger more.

The Chiefs have all but finalised their squad with the inclusion of Bryce Heem and Sean Polwart.

Given injuries to Ben Afeaki and TKB we will probably see two more players brought in, a halfback and either a prop or a loose forward.

Of course WTG members tend to get quite a bit of game time, so that's equally as important.

Heem is a good pick up, but may struggle to get game-time. Polwart should be Cane's primary backup at 7 - they do have Kolomatangi too, but he's never really impressed me to be honest (he's solid and can cover 6 & 7, but is he really a starter at Super Rugby level?).

There are a few rumors that BOP blindside Johan Bardoul will be involved with the Chiefs this season, but perhaps it will only be in the WTG? He's certainly looks good with ball in hand, but will need to lower his error-rate....

Rumour has it Marty Banks may be heading south ([url]http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/320433/rugby-tasman-pair-sights)[/URL]. This would good news for the Highlanders if true, as he's a pretty handy player (though it would be pretty stupid of the Canes not to secure his signature..... though pretty stupid can be an apt description of some of the Canes signings - or non-singings - in recent seasons). Alex Ainley is rumored to be heading to the Highlanders too, which I'm less excited about. He's a solid player - exactly what Joseph looks for in a tight-forward - but perhaps lacks a bit in terms of size, and given his age (33) he would hardly be a long term investment....

Latest posts