• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Hurricanes vs. Stormers (Round 8) 03/04/2015

This ref is terrible for both teams. And I hate Justin Marshall.

And the Canes have done their best to undo the good work in the first half.

And yes Im in a bad mood now..

Who? When?

First half. I think it could have been a winger. Pretty sure Smith would have got him a few years ago. It just reminded me of the Johnny May thing last year against England, although I'm sure someone will correct me no doubt. If I'm wrong that's fine.

Tale of two halves! Stormers deserve credit for coming back so strongly. To be fair to them, they had some unlucky calls. But then again, I don't think the Hurricanes should have been slapped with a penalty try either. They were getting monstered in that scrum but you can't say they definitely would have ended up over the line touching grass imo. Plenty of encouraging signs for the Canes attack wise. That was just classic Stormers in the second half - reminded me of a few years ago when they came out here and did it.

That last one has to be try of the season! Great match to watch!!!

The commentators were all talking about the later offloads and passes in that try but for me, Cory Jane's inside ball around a Stormers defender was the money ball... just pure class. Cory has one helluva skillset.

Also, I hope that when Rugby Nation do their analysis on Sunday evening, they use one of those circle-graphic thingies to show the line that Beauden Barrett ran to get the final pass; he seemed to appear from nowhere.

I'll be honest I feel a bit salty about the loss, it's tough to lose when you dominate in so many areas of the game and I did feel the calls went against us, I'm not saying the refs a cheat, I'm just saying he was bad and some of the bad calls cost us a lot of points. That said, I know you can't say that if the calls went our way we would have won because no one knows what would have happened in that case. We may have lost by a worse margin :p .

Fair play to the Canes though there counterattacking play is phenomenal and they easily have the best outside backs in the competition, it's hard to beat a team with such great defense and the ability to score from anywhere on the park and they fully deserve their log position. Milner-Skudder is incredible.

From the Stormers side I'm happy with the way things are going, I thought de Allende was an absolute monster and all our young outside backs performed well. Eben is also looking strong again particularly with his ball carrying and Schalk was massive. Our scrum continues to be positive and the line-outs are getting better and better. On a general note it's nice to see us trying to offload a bit more and although it's certainly not New Zealand levels of accuracy it does add that extra bit of penetration to our attack.

If we manage to win the next two I'll accept a 2/4 tour record.

Hard break, SomeOke. If it's any consolation, my Crusaders are in a similar position. I knew they'd have a loss on this tour, and in reality I know they could well suffer another this weekend. I just want one damn it, one win. And against the SA conference leaders will do nicely :p I thought de Allende went very well. Kept slipping away and very hard to put away.

The commentators were all talking about the later offloads and passes in that try but for me, Cory Jane's inside ball around a Stormers defender was the money ball... just pure class. Cory has one helluva skillset.

Agreed. Which is why for me he has got to be the incumbent in the 14 jersey for the All Blacks. Ahead of Piutau, even ahead of Ben Smith at 14. Arguably the best ariel-skills in the world for a winger, and his chip kicks when he runs out of space almost always lead to a try or something exciting. And as you say, the passes. I'm not sure if he would win a statistics war versus our other backline players, but he has the ability to make things happen, as well as doing it himself. Like a winger / playmaker.

Three tries from 90 meters while the Stormers had bruised about 50 yards up the park was the difference in the match. Reminded me of a recent Highlanders game in SA that they won without winning a single scrum in the first hour of the match. How is that possible?

Counter attack tries, and some pretty average officiating at key times sorted out an escape for the Canes, IMHO. What's with that rolling maul the ref called back? Berger's face said it all. Idiot ref! I'm not even a fan of SA teams at the best of times, but I'd sooner see reward for 75% of territorial possession, and dominating rugby. It was an enthralling display of graft versus guile. Can't believe the Canes are 6-0. I think they'll be found out. They got battered today. Pleasure to watch the Stormers pound and pound away, but come up short. In the end, it's all about tries, and convincing the ref helps too.

The Canes game plan appears to be get pounded into submission on our goal line and hope they cough it up so we can stick in 3 tries from inside our 22. Somehow think this is not going to work every week. Been OK so far :)

Only 13k at the Westpac Stadium?? Where are the Canes supporters??

Three tries from 90 meters while the Stormers had bruised about 50 yards up the park was the difference in the match. Reminded me of a recent Highlanders game in SA that they won without winning a single scrum in the first hour of the match. How is that possible?

Counter attack tries, and some pretty average officiating at key times sorted out an escape for the Canes, IMHO. What's with that rolling maul the ref called back? Berger's face said it all. Idiot ref! I'm not even a fan of SA teams at the best of times, but I'd sooner see reward for 75% of territorial possession, and dominating rugby. It was an enthralling display of graft versus guile. Can't believe the Canes are 6-0. I think they'll be found out. They got battered today. Pleasure to watch the Stormers pound and pound away, but come up short. In the end, it's all about tries, and convincing the ref helps too.

The Canes game plan appears to be get pounded into submission on our goal line and hope they cough it up so we can stick in 3 tries from inside our 22. Somehow think this is not going to work every week. Been OK so far :)

7-7 thank you. Stomers had a lot of suspect calls go their way as well (although Burger and Vermeulen certainly complained enough). I agree the refereeing was bad, but it certainly didnt all go the canes way. The ref seemed to realize his mistakes and tried to even it up with even more suspect refereeing.

Only 13k at the Westpac Stadium?? Where are the Canes supporters??

That's just Wellington mate, and always has been. A cricket semi final, or an All Blacks game, yeah they'll come along. Anything else, not really. Don't really get it, because it's the first time in forever the Hurricanes have been not just good, but consistently good.

I was at the last two games. I do understand it though - Westpac standium isn't ideal to watch a rugby game at just because it's a big as circle, so you're quite far away from the action. I have to rewatch games when I get home as my eye sight isn't good enough at times. Prices have become more reasonable, but the steep hike that they were at just killed any atmosphere. It's terribly promoted within Wellington. And the Canes have a horrible history of disappointment.

It'd be nice to have more full stadiums (and the bright yellow seats make it look very empty) - but I think it would take winning the comp or at least making some finals before people start to pay the money out. When I was younger we used to regularly get 20,000 plus people to games.

^^ I agree Westpac stadium is horrible to watch rugby at. I have been twice and found myself watching the game at home later on and going man I missed half the game being in the friggin stadium!??

They should of redeveloped athletic park. Or developed another rugby stadium in welly and leave that **** hole to the soccer and criket.

Canes were lucky to get away with this one the ref was rampant in the second half and so were the stormers. Lucky to hold them out with that combination.

I've only been once, so didn't notice that side of things. I was reasonably close, although I can relate to the eyesight Nick. That happened to me even at AMI Stadium before the quakes. Agree about price and promotion. I know we aren't as big as Australia, but the prices of things like booze, let alone the seats are far higher that you just don't bother in the end. Not sure what it's like in Welly as obviously don't live there, but I have to say Christchurch are pretty good with the promotion side of things. It's very ingrained into the schools and competitive between them, so right from the word go in life there's a solid system of competition and support. Our radio hosts always give away tickets and interview players, and the city is full of posters and billboards.

In case anyone missed Barrett's try ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone missed Barrett's try ;).

Id be calling that Janes try myself without that crazy pass the stormers defence would of had them covered most likely.

I must add I doubted Jane last year but this year he's been a beast. Going to make AB selections very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
dafuq happened the 2nd half :?

man these canes can defend!!! :O they went back to "canes-rugby" in this game + brilliant defence that they lacked throughout the years... they are also showing brilliant composure... the canes are really impressing me a lot, nick must be smiling lol

man, where did Nehe Milner-Skudder come from :O sweet jesus we make the backline players ,this guy is brilliant!!! :O Ben Smith watch ur back mate!!!

why is no-one complaining about the disallowed tries of stormers? lucky penalty try? forward pass by milner-skudder? etc etc