South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Westpac Stadium, Wellington

Hurricanes.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png

08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Hurricanes: 15. Nehe Milner-Skudder, 14. Cory Jane, 13. Conrad Smith (captain), 12. Ma'a Nonu, 11. Julian Savea, 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. TJ Perenara, 8. Victor Vito, 7. Callum Gibbins, 6. Brad Shields, 5. James Broadhurst, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 3. Ben Franks, 2. Dane Coles, 1. Reggie Goodes.

Substitutes: 16. Brayden Mitchell, 17. Ben May, 18. Chris Eves, 19. Mark Abbott, 20. Adam Hill, 21. Chris Smylie, 22. Rey Lee-Lo, 23. James Marshall

Stormers: 15. Cheslin Kolbe, 14. Kobus van Wyk, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Dillyn Leyds, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7. Schalk Burger, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Manuel Carizza, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Vincent Koch, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Oli Kebble, 18. Frans Malherbe, 19. Ruan Botha, 20. Michael Rhodes, 21. Louis Schreuder, 22. Kurt Coleman, 23. Huw Jones

Last edited:
Have we lost 3 in a row in recent years? We HAVE to take some points now and the 'Canes are due a bloodied nose if you ask me..

Hmmppff.

Going to this match - would love to see the streak go to 7!

Will be a very tight match IMO.

How do the NZ teams (have too?) structure their rest- will we see Barrett and Savea back? Vermeulen and Etzebeth are set to return for the Stormers. Alsoreports suggest that Coleman will probably be starting ahead of Catrakilis which I welcome- I just hope they start him alongside Groom rather than Schreuder (in order to compare apples with apples).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Coetzee (and the rest of the Stormers management) have let the province down in failing to secure a world class 9/10 combination for a good while now. Don't tell me Pollard wouldn't have stayed in the Cape if we'd have offered him equal money and game time tha what the Bulls had offered him. And there we didn't want to give a young lad (with obvious talent) ahead of Grant, Catrakilis, Coleman or Van Aswegen... are you serious!? If he turned out merely pedestrian at a higher level it's not like we wouldn't be in the exact same place but with a younger lad with a bigger body and longer carreer ahead of him..

Same with Hougaard and Steyn who were Cape boys through and through. With all of Goosen, Vermaak, Kockott, Pretorius etc etc leaving SA nevermind moving provinces I am sure we could've nabbed one if we'd have actually tried. Same now with our current youth; we've let Tim Swiel go for no good reason after he's been palming in the ***les for our age group teams and see if he isn't hot **** in a year or two's time- mark my words!

How do the NZ teams (have too?) structure their rest- will we see Barrett and Savea back? Vermeulen and Etzebeth are set to return for the Stormers. Alsoreports suggest that Coleman will probably be starting ahead of Catrakilis which I welcome- I just hope they start him alongside Groom rather than Schreuder (in order to compare apples with apples).

Each New Zealand team are sort of doing it differently. But all Kiwi teams have been in direct contact with All Blacks trainers and physiotherapists. You saw some All Blacks miss round one. Read and Whitelock for the Crusaders weren't back until Round 5. The Hurricanes are opting to rest their players midseason because they started their year with a tour to South Africa. I think Boyd said ideally the Canes All Blacks would get about two weeks off? Whether that's in a row, I'm not sure. Initially I was under the impression they got last week off for this game, but we'll see.

Sounds like the Stormers problem might be the same as the Blues problem. I really think the Aucklanders struggle because of the 9/10 combo. Look at the amount of people they've had over the years, it's been a revolving door; nevermind the fact they've had some out of form lack luster players there too. Anyway, the Stormers don't seem as strong as what they did a few years ago, and they've lost some matches which I believe a Stromers side at their best could have won. Given this is an away game to the competition's leaders, the 'Canes would have to have a shocker to drop this one. Should have added strength if Coles, or the other two come back.

if the canes manage to lose only one game this year, it will be to the Stormers... i hope i am wrong...

Hurricanes named (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=331&objectid=11426447):

Hurricanes: Nehe Milner-Skudder, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (captain), Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Callum Gibbins, Brad Shields, James Broadhurst, Jeremy Thrush, Ben Franks, Dane Coles, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Ben May, Chris Eves, Mark Abbott, Adam Hill, Chris Smylie, Rey Lee-Lo, James Marshall

Basically a full strength Canes team. Savea for Gibbins and Toomaga-Allen at TH with Franks at LH would probably be the only ideal change - and even with no Ardie Savea you don't lose much with Gibbins being a very hand openside.

Hurricanes named (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=331&objectid=11426447):

Hurricanes: Nehe Milner-Skudder, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (captain), Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Callum Gibbins, Brad Shields, James Broadhurst, Jeremy Thrush, Ben Franks, Dane Coles, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Ben May, Chris Eves, Mark Abbott, Adam Hill, Chris Smylie, Rey Lee-Lo, James Marshall

Thanx Shaggy!

I've added it to the OP.

This is a good match to kick off the easter long weekend.

I hope the Stormers pull off a win, but I think it's going to be 7 in a row...

I think every non-Hurricanes fan will be behind the Stormers if only for the sake of keeping the 'Canes within reach on the log. The Stormers have the ability to upset the 'Canes. In fact I believe we've beaten them last year, the year before and the year before that all the way to 2010?

That said we are playing stupidly (inaccuracy in execution) and are struggling for territory while everyone knows we aren't a team that does well chasing games and they are at home, in form, they've always had a deadly attack and that hasn't changed (joint top for tries scored) but more importantly they have added some pragmatism to their approach and are the current top team for tackle success at 89.6% whereas we are sharing the bottom spot for tackles success % at 84% with the Cheetahs.. we'll need to do better than that if we are to win.

So, yeah, we are very much the underdog in this fixture.

I think every non-Hurricanes fan will be behind the Stormers if only for the sake of keeping the 'Canes within reach on the log. The Stormers have the ability to upset the 'Canes. In fact I believe we've beaten them last year, the year before and the year before that all the way to 2010?

That said we are playing stupidly (inaccuracy in execution) and are struggling for territory while everyone knows we aren't a team that does well chasing games and they are at home, in form, they've always had a deadly attack and that hasn't changed (joint top for tries scored) but more importantly they have added some pragmatism to their approach and are the current top team for tackle success at 89.6% whereas we are sharing the bottom spot for tackles success % at 84% with the Cheetahs.. we'll need to do better than that if we are to win.

So, yeah, we are very much the underdog in this fixture.
I know I always tend to be a bit pessimistic, and I do think the Stormers have a small chance at winning, but I highly doubt we'll be able to stop the rampaging Hurricanes. If we try to play the kicking game (like we have done over the past 2 games) against the likes of Savea and Jane we will lose and lose badly. If we have a chance it's to keep it tight and only attack on turn-over ball. Additionally our defensive frailties are in our outside backs where the Hurricanes are most dangerous.

I'd say 80:20 odds on the Hurricanes.

Each New Zealand team are sort of doing it differently. But all Kiwi teams have been in direct contact with All Blacks trainers and physiotherapists. You saw some All Blacks miss round one. Read and Whitelock for the Crusaders weren't back until Round 5. The Hurricanes are opting to rest their players midseason because they started their year with a tour to South Africa. I think Boyd said ideally the Canes All Blacks would get about two weeks off? Whether that's in a row, I'm not sure. Initially I was under the impression they got last week off for this game, but we'll see.

Sounds like the Stormers problem might be the same as the Blues problem. I really think the Aucklanders struggle because of the 9/10 combo. Look at the amount of people they've had over the years, it's been a revolving door; nevermind the fact they've had some out of form lack luster players there too. Anyway, the Stormers don't seem as strong as what they did a few years ago, and they've lost some matches which I believe a Stromers side at their best could have won. Given this is an away game to the competition's leaders, the 'Canes would have to have a shocker to drop this one. Should have added strength if Coles, or the other two come back.

Just to clarify this, bar the odd player every All Black must sit out two matches during the season. These can be injury enforced or they can purely be at their coach's discretion, the important thing is that they don't play every single match.

Hard to see anything but a Canes win, they rested there AB's last week and all are back apart from Coles due to injury.

Hard to see anything but a Canes win, they rested there AB's last week and all are back apart from Coles due to injury.

I picked the Hurricanes on Superbru though.. which probably means the Stormers'll find a way to sneak it.

I'm not so confident (historically I've never had much reason to be). It'll be an interesting match but I think people are hyping the Canes a bit too much, almost as if to watch them fall. I remember the Western Force managed something like a 5 game winning streak (last season?). Didn't mean they couldn't be beaten. The Canes are looking impressive so far - particularly with a level of composure we haven't seen in a while and a forward pack that's not so bullied and is pretty accurate in the set pieces - but things can still go wrong and the Stormers play the kind of game that we could see it happen.

If the Stormers can pull out one big performance on the road (which I'm hoping my Crusaders can magically do against the Sharks) then maybe the predictions wouldn't be so tilted in the Canes favor. I just haven't seen that threat from them, especially away from Cape Town, that should suggest the Canes should be overly concerned. Cautious, definitely. I'm trying to think of something that could work in their favor. Defensively they are the best in South Africa, and 7th overall? Hey, you never know what can happen in Super Rugby these days.

Nehe Milner-Scudder must be in contention for an AB Jersey or on the bench behind Smithy because he is playing much better than Dagg right now.. He is an awesome talent..

Canes playing some great rugby!

With Burger and Etzebeth I'm not sure there's a less likeable side than the Stormers in this comp :lol:

Hurricanes with 3 of the best tries youd hope to see. That last one has to be try of the season! Great match to watch!!!

Agree on NMS - hes been insanely go so far!!

Wow, this is crazy. I know there's still a whole half to go and anything could happen, but I didn't think the score would blow out like this, at least not so early. The other demoralizing stat for the Stormers is the Hurricanes are (tied with the Brumbies?) for best defense in the comp. Making a comeback is possible, but surely not easy.

Canes have shown why they are the best counter-attacking side in Super Rugby. Very reminiscent of the All Blacks. If I was being totally knit-picky, Ben Franks probably ain't having a great game. And somebody ran through Conrad Smith. Again.

Latest posts