• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (Round 5)

LiRFCMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Irish
My prediction:

Italy vs Wales: 5 - 41

Italy will need a big response after a dire performance at the weekend, but high-flying Wales will be confident of putting the Azzurri to the sword, Wales by 36 doesn't seem far-fetched with players like North, Roberts and Davies reigning down physicality on a weak Italian side. They will be wary of England's mistakes against the Italians however, and will need to start strong. Giving away "kickable" penalties is fine though, as the Italians won't stand a chance of slotting them. With the Welsh pushing forward I can see a couple of slip-ups in defence, but still expect a big Welsh victory.

14 man Scotland aside, it seems a while since Wales really squashed an opponent on the scoreboard from start to finish.

The management made the ludicrous decision in the first place of selecting no hoppers such as Scott Andrews and Aaron Jarvis ahead of him.

I completely emphasise with Adam's situation he deserved so much more. It will be funny if the WRU come crawling to him come world cup time.

So Wales have already named their team, didn't take long at all:

Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon); George North (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31919260

Would've liked to see Scott Williams and Tipuric start for something a bit different in attack.

Not the end of the world of course with both being on the bench and likely to feature at some point, especially around the 50min mark if we still need a few tries.

Gareth Davies on the bench is a great shout by Gatland, him coming on for Webb against tired Italian legs could be very very effective.

14 man Scotland aside, it seems a while since Wales really squashed an opponent on the scoreboard from start to finish.

It's a good point. The way Wales play, they're as likely to cut open top sides - England 2013 :p - as second tier sides

Saying this, I was impressed and worried by the way Wales put early width on the ball against Ireland and used all the space. When they swing left to right with pace they can go around defences as well as the 'through defences' which defines Warrenball. Scott Williams if selected could also up the points for Wales.

The current Italy have looked a bit flaky at times and I'm not sure I trust them to do England any favours this weekend.

It's a good point. The way Wales play, they're as likely to cut open top sides - England 2013 :p - as second tier sides

Saying this, I was impressed and worried by the way Wales put early width on the ball against Ireland and used all the space. When they swing left to right with pace they can go around defences as well as the 'through defences' which defines Warrenball. Scott Williams if selected could also up the points for Wales.

The current Italy have looked a bit flaky at times and I'm not sure I trust them to do England any favours this weekend.

The problem is sometimes players are so caught up in smashing it up that they forget to swing it wide. As seen by Roberts trucking it up when we had numbers out wide...
Would've like to see Scott Williams given a shot at 12, but he's still not exactly the most creative bloke around - his scything outside breaks though!

The problem is sometimes players are so caught up in smashing it up that they forget to swing it wide. As seen by Roberts trucking it up when we had numbers out wide...
Would've like to see Scott Williams given a shot at 12, but he's still not exactly the most creative bloke around - his scything outside breaks though!

Agree, would like to see Scott in as well as Tupiric. I think Gatland might be thinking a strong bench with pace will help when Italy start getting tired and hopefully rack up the tries! Our scrum will have to be steady though in order to stop Italy getting momentum.

Agree, would like to see Scott in as well as Tupiric. I think Gatland might be thinking a strong bench with pace will help when Italy start getting tired and hopefully rack up the tries! Our scrum will have to be steady though in order to stop Italy getting momentum.

The Italian scrum was very poor vs France, so hoping that our 3rd choice props can at least hold the scrum steady against them!

The Italian scrum was very poor vs France, so hoping that our 3rd choice props can at least hold the scrum steady against them!

I think Rob Evans should be able to do a good enough job, he's been very good for the Scarlets so far this year, and I think he deserves a chance to showcase his talent before the World Cup. Jarvis I'm more worried about though because as with Jenkins, Jones and James, the scrum law changes have ruined him as he was pretty good in the 2012 AIs. He should be able to hold up okay enough though against Aguero.

Wales will need to start the game strongly and quell the Italian support and spirit. The crowd were down and out after watching an abysmal performance from their side, and if 15 minutes can go by without an Italian score and a few kicks of Halfpenny's boot then I expect Wales could really kick on and put the Italians to the sword.

The Italy team to face wales

Luke McClean (Sale Sharks); Leonardo Sarto (Zebre Rugby), Luca Morisi (Benetton Treviso), Andrea Masi (London Wasps), Giovambattista Venditti (Zebre Rugby); Kelly Haimona (Zebre Rugby), Edoardo Gori (Benetton Treviso); 1 Michele Rizzo (Leicester Tigers), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Leicester Tigers, capt), Martin Castrogiovanni (RT Toulon), George Biagi (Zebre Rugby), Joshua Furno (Newcastle Falcons), Francesco Minto (Benetton Treviso), Mauro Bergamasco (Zebre Rugby), Samuela VUNISA (Zebre Rugby)

Replacements: Andrea Manici (Zebre Rugby), Alberto De Marchi (Sale Sharks), Dario Chistolini (Zebre Rugby), Quintin Geldenhuys (Zebre Rugby), Robert Barbieri (Leicester Tigers), Guglielmo Palazzini (Zebre Rugby), Luciano Orquera (Zebre Rugby), Enrico Bacchin (Benetton Treviso).

I think Gatland might be thinking a strong bench with pace will help when Italy start getting tired and hopefully rack up the tries! Our scrum will have to be steady though in order to stop Italy getting momentum.

Agreed, I think you'll see both Williams and Tipuric early in the second half. At least I hope.

Anscombe and Francis should have been on the bench this game, cannot see the point why Andrews and Preistland are there.

Anscombe and Francis should have been on the bench this game, cannot see the point why Andrews and Preistland are there.

I agree re Francis, although Andrews has always done a decent job for Wales, especially on the loose.

On Anscome, I don't think he's shown enough for the Blues yet, albeit in a dire Blues side. Pristland, despite all his faults, does have a decent attacking game, and has regional understanding with Gareth Davies, so can hopefully help Wales pile on a few more points at the end to bump up the score.

I just hope the Italians have some backbone without Parisse. Really fearing a slaughter now.

Latest posts