• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England vs Italy (Round 2)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just for fun, can you identify someone in the current England team who does have an outside break? Hint: it's not Dan Cole.

- - - Updated - - -

So dominate that channel like Burrell did last year (he didn't) by playing him at 12? You're making perfect sense as usual...

Just to make it easy for you, as you seem to be having trouble grasping last year and this year, when referring to Burrell or Tuilagi in the 13 channel I'm referring to last year and how we played them last year and i've not at any point specified who should play it this year. You get that don't you?

Yes, I get that...so who should we play to 'dominate' the 13 channel this year? George Kruis?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I've just watched the highlights of that game, and none of the breaks Burrell or Tuilagi made were in the 13 channel. Apart from that, good point.

No disrespect to them but - Tuilagi is in a far different class of carrier to anything the Irish had on the pitch (to start with). So are the Vunipolas. Attwood and Haskell would have been very much stand-out carriers for them. So, for the final time, just because Ireland couldn't do it doesn't mean our big men couldn't. Anyone who can't see that, well...

Rats: Fair.

Yes, I get that...so who should we play to 'dominate' the 13 channel this year? George Kruis?

where did i say Dominate in reference to this year?

i said isolate, very different word.

Again just so you can understand, as your need to get one over is clearly mixing you up, I said when we run the phases we should isolate their "13/15 channel and then run phases from there".

The second point about dominate was talking to Rats about what we did LAST year. There is a whole quotation between the two points they are completely separate points not interlinked.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I've just watched the highlights of that game, and none of the breaks Burrell or Tuilagi made were in the 13 channel. Apart from that, good point.

1.25 on the video clock, outside break by Burrell in the 13/15 channel and offload to Brown - try, 3.25 Nowell into that outside channel after using Burrell as a dummy runner - try......4.35 dummy runners into the 13 channel Tuilagi runs an unders- try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun, can you identify someone in the current England team who does have an outside break? Hint: it's not Dan Cole.

- - - Updated - - -

So dominate that channel like Burrell did last year (he didn't) by playing him at 12? You're making perfect sense as usual...

Joseph.

and Joseph would dominate that channel, too.

Wrong again! The break was made outside the 12, who was the second defender (they don't count the guard). Whereas Campangaro actually made a break outside Burrell in the 13 channel later in the game.

Re: Joseph, that was the right answer!

- - - Updated - - -

Your other two examples were not of Burrell or Tuilagi in that channel.

- - - Updated - - -

And as I've already said, any team is vulnerable in that channel, so your point is a truism.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why the say 13 is the hardest position to defend in, and why McGeechan talks about the 3rd defender. And also why a lot of the All Black's success comes from attacking this channel.

Wrong again! The break was made outside the 12, who was the second defender (they don't count the guard). Whereas Campangaro actually made a break outside Burrell in the 13 channel later in the game.

Re: Joseph, that was the right answer!

- - - Updated - - -

Your other two examples were not of Burrell or Tuilagi in that channel.

Nope.

The original channel prior to the 36 carry is in the 13/15 channel it doesn't change just because of a phase.... It also has a near outside break by LB in it.

The other two: one clearly uses LB as a dummy runners in that channel.

The 3rd clearly uses dummy runners coming around on the slide into that channel.

Nice try mate.

As they did against England in June. So, as I said before, it would be equally good advice for Italy.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't understand what the 13 channel is because you can't count.

- - - Updated - - -

When wouldn't there be dummy runners in that channel, dummy?

- - - Updated - - -

Are the attacking team supposed to have a big gap between their centres and the wing/full-back? Try to think before you say something next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, your points are either wrong or a truism.

As they did against England in June. So, as I said before, it would be equally good advice for Italy.

erm! not really.

You don't understand what the 13 channel is because you can't count.

You're convinced it's 3rd defender out when it's not (except when it's on primary phase.)

nice childish insults.

When wouldn't there be dummy runners in that channel, dummy?

Is that a trick question? Like when is a newspaper not black and white?

Also once again more petty insults.

Are the attacking team supposed to have a big gap between their centres and the wing/full-back? Try to think before you say something next time.

wtf? how has that got anythign to do with what i'm saying.

Like I said, your points are either wrong or a truism.

aye, if you say so.

*Blocked*

This is painful to read.

I know you should never write Italy off, they've got a lot of good players, and I really do like them (always root for them against anyone but England) but we won by 41 points, scoring 7 tries, last year in Rome. I want the same or more this year at Twickers.

Haha, now I've been blocked I can say what I really think - good no. 10 is like the guy in the pub who plays the 'expert.' It might work there, but it won't work here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Olly, I was debating him because no one else was making any comments, and because his attitude annoyed me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think we will win as well, no matter who we play, that's why I want us to play an exciting team. If Lancaster picks Barritt I might not bother watching.

For the game I would play
1.Marler- Great work rate in attack, let him tie up tight carrying around the ruck.
2.Youngs- Same thing of having a lot of workrate at the beggining of the game.
3.Cole- Flanking ability to slow down any Italy attack.
4.Attwood- No brainer
5.Kruis- again workrate and carrying force.
6.Haskell- Let him build on his last game. No need for mass change.
7.Robshaw
8.Vunipola- Let's see if he can improve.
9.Youngs- Made good snipes and passed the ball away.
10.Ford- why change him, Cipriani on at 60 possibly.
11.May
12.Burrell- Don't change let them gel over the 6 nations
13.Joseph
14.Watson
15.Brown

16.Hartley 17.Corbisiero- We always need scrum dominance 18.Wilson/Brookes 19.Kitchener- Loose play is spectacular 20.Croft- Same 21.Wigglesworth 22.Cipriani 23.Twelvetrees/Nowell depends on if we want to kick more or run the ball more. Both I can see moving in the centres (Nowell at 13 only though)

I hope Cipriani gets on early in the second half too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I would like to see Eastmond on the bench for 12trees if we're not going to bring Cipriani on.

- - - Updated - - -

Then we could see Ford, Eastmond and Joseph together in the 2nd half.

We would still need go forward though, it's wether our pack can do this enough. Otherwise all we will have is the Bath axis trying to get around the Italian defence, which is very competent doing one on one tackling.

Yeah, I was suggesting doing this in the second half if we are already well ahead. Otherwise we should just keep plugging away - if it was good enough to beat Wales it will be good enough to beat Italy!

I think we'll probably see the same 23.
Possible changes would be Corbs in for Mako (though if they didn't pick him vs Wales, then I don't think they will against Italy which is likelier to be a more open game, so suiting Mako more) and Kitchener in for Croft.

why do you think Kitchener will come in for Croft?
My only thought is that Croft was there for experience in Cardiff, with them not wanting to blood Kitchener in that environment? (Possible situation of Kruis/Kitchener partnership early on if Attwood went off, where one making first start and the other his first cap). I expect them to pass over Kitchener this weekend in favour of Parling (if fit) which would be hard on Kitchener tbh.

I heard somewhere that Cobisiero went off injured in the LV game this weekend, so I'm not sure if he'll be an option in any case.

Latest posts