• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 1: Italy Vs England (04/02/2018)

Regulation win against Italy....nothing exciting job done.

Who would be the 3rd lineout option?
Simmonds and Underhill are both options aren't they?
Considering we had a very successful time with a Robshaw/Haskell/Vunipola backrow it's not like we need a lock in the backrow

Launch for me just because I think he's the one who'd make most impact from the bench.
For me:
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Underhill
7. Simmonds
8. Vunipola

19. Launchbury
20. Not sure TBH, don't think the Currys would bring much from the bench so maybe Hughes but open to suggestions here.

Mad that a flanker pairing of Underhill-Simmonds is 24kg lighter than Robshaw, Haskell yet is so much more physical and better carrying.

Itoje for me, scary proposition to come off the bench, ****** off

Itoje for me.

The issue with dropping Itoje for me is that out of all of those he's the most likely to have an absolute stormer . Either way I felt like today's game was more about Italy being more than competitive until the 70th minute than England not playing well . Other than our usual issue with not being able to turn the ball over I thought it was a good performance

And we're not even talking about Kruis or Isiekwe who's on a serious fast track.

In the backs, I thought Te'o was good. Nothing spectacular, but having shaken off a bit of rust I'd start him next week.

In the end. A good solid victory. Cut a few of the pens, work more at the break down and we could be superb.

Brown has a weak game.

Simmonds was superb, would love to see him next to Binny.

And we're not even talking about Kruis or Isiekwe who's on a serious fast track.

In the backs, I thought Te'o was good. Nothing spectacular, but having shaken off a bit of rust I'd start him next week.
Agree actually; he gives the Ford-Farrell axis a really reliable go forward option and buys them so much more space. Bring Joseph on once the games opened up and he can find some space. That said, defensive issues did seem to clear up once JJ came on.

Happy enough with that, bordering on very happy - particularly following the depression of November. The highest quality Italian attacking play I've ever seen and not a failure in the backs or the backrow. Lapses in defence but England were pretty slick so there is not too much dishonour in conceding seven tries. I think they'll pick up a couple more winning BPs in the torunament on their way to victory.

Finally O'Shea converting the improvement in Zebre and Benneton into the national side. Handy players like Venditti, Padovani and Bronzini not even getting into the 23 is also positive. After 60mins England had made 50 more tackles than Italy which is a very positive statistic.

I'd like to see Italy aspire to a losing BP against France and Scotland - as unlikely as that seems. Allan finally showing why he merited selection as my avatar and he continues to gradually improve his decision making and his kicking.

Bookmarking this ;)

Let us never forget:

[MEDIA]KHOu2JhvM90[/MEDIA]
No one's denying that happened
0 for 3 since then, though, which is pretty funny as well
Think that's just the difference in mentalities though, Wales strive to beat England, england strive to be the best in the world.

England are the best team in the tournament, and after today's showing I would not bet against them winning the Grand Slam.

Just saying that Wales won't make it easy - two very good form teams up against each other will hopefully produce a cracker next weekend.

As long as we beat the English... ;)

I actually thought that Italy were very impressive today; they showed real heart and their backs looked dangerous. I can see them causing an upset, especially against a depleted Scotland side. They're definitely not the walkovers they have been in the past.

England are the best team in the tournament, and after today's showing I would not bet against them winning the Grand Slam.

Just saying that Wales won't make it easy - two very good form teams up against each other will hopefully produce a cracker next weekend.

As long as we beat the English... ;)
I would think the odds on an England victory against Scarl........ sorry, Wales, will have lengthened a bit. Their backs will be asking loads more questions than Italy and I just hope that Eddie tightens up the defence .

Latest posts