• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 season Super Rugby squads: South Africa

Given that the Sharks front row were on International Duty during the Currie Cup, what new front row gems have been unearthed?

Well, they have a young prop with the name of Thomas Du Toit. He was part of the Junior Springboks last year, and made the step up to the senior side. He is one hell of Scrummager, and has made a big impact for the Sharks when the Springbok props were absent for them.

Happy sporting 2015 to all!

My predictions, ranked form 1 to 5 and including the loss of Springbok players later on in the competition due to the RWC

Stormers - They have a stable squad with lots of game breakers and decent depth; and have successfully shifted to an attacking approach.
Sharks - Few good gains in new players on wing and no 8 but the same bogey man will visit them close to the play-offs
Bulls - They are where Provnice was last year, between two styles of play, they will get better this year but not fully transform. They have the personnel, heck they have always had the players, the coaching (or lack of) screws them
Lions - Might even end 3rd in the SA standings, the pack will dominate but the proof would be when the injuries comes along
Cheetahs - Lost a lot of good players but their main issue is the lack of vision from the coaching staff. They will be dismal this year

Last edited:
Happy sporting 2015 to all!

My predictions, ranked form 1 to 5 and including the loss of Springbok players later on in the competition due to the RWC

Stormers - They have a stable squad with lots of game breakers and decent depth; and have successfully shifted to an attacking approach.
Sharks - Few good gains in new players on wing and no 8 but the same bogey man will visit them close to the play-offs
Bulls - They are where Provnice was last year, between two styles of play, they will get better this year but not fully transform. They have the personnel, heck they have always had the players, the coaching (or lack of) screws them
Lions - Might even end 3rd in the SA standings, the pack will dominate but the proof would be when the injuries comes along
Cheetahs - Lost a lot of good players but their main issue is the lack of vision from the coaching staff. They will be dismal this year

Dankie Gena en dieselfde vir jou!

Have to agree with those predictions. Although, if the Bulls get the new style of play to work, they could be the surprize package. Especially with the backline they have now.

The Bulls have recieved a massive boost with a bunch of Springboks declared fit to play and will start training with the squad next week:

Springboks Pierre Spies, Arno Botha, Handre Pollard, Marcel van der Merwe and Adriaan Strauss will all return to Bulls training from next week onwards, it was confirmed in Pretoria on Tuesday.

The Bulls squad assembled in Pretoria on Monday to prepare for the 2015 Super Rugby season, but a couple of senior players will only join the fray later this month.

Spies and Botha, who missed almost the whole of 2014 due to a bicep and knee injury respectively, will re-join the squad next Monday, as will fullback Jurgen Visser, who missed most of the Currie Cup campaign with a foot injury. Van der Merwe, who recovered from a knee injury, will start on Monday as well, team doctor Org Strauss confirmed.

Pollard (foot) and Strauss (calf) is due back on 19 January.

Burger Odendaal (foot), Jaco Visagie (knee), Grant Hatting (ankle), Dries Swanepoel (Achilles) and Jason Jenkins (quad) will all join on Monday, 12 January 12.

Meanwhile, Springbok lock and 2014 Bulls captain Flip van der Merwe is only expected back on April 15. He recovered from a knee operation, but injured a pectoral muscle in pre-season. Props Basil Short (pectoral muscle, February 2) and Hencus van Wyk (knee, February 28) will be back next months.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Boks-to-boost-Bulls-20150106

Schalk Burger to join after he finishes in Japan. Also a new captain to be announced with JdV being out for the season.

http://www.superxv.com/45157/1/stormers-name-super-rugby-training-squad#.VLTzjyuUdYc
<article></article><article>Manuel Carizza
Nizaam Carr - My starting openside flanker (can't shift Vermeulen out!)
Demetri Catrakilis
Kurt Coleman
Damian de Allende - My starting 12
Juan de Jongh - My starting 13 and vice captain (I'd have Burger as captain and staring blindside)
Robert du Preez - My starting 10 call me crzy!
Ryno Eksteen
Eben Etzebeth - My starting 4
Rynhardt Elstadt
Gerbrandt Grobler
Nic Groom- My starting 9
Huw Jones
Oli Kebble
Steven Kitshoff- My starting 1
Jean Kleyn- My starting 5
Vincent Koch
Cheslin Kolbe- My starting 15
Siya Kolisi
Johnny Kotze
Dillyn Leyds
Wilco Louw
Frans Malherbe - My starting 3 and may his injury worries be a thing of the past!!
Godlen Masimla
Bongi Mbonambi
Sikhumbuzo Notshe
Scarra Ntubeni - My starting 2
Neil Rautenbach
Michael Rhodes
Louis Schreuder
Jaco Taute
Jurie van Vuuren
Frans van Wyk
Kobus van Wyk - My starting 14 with Senatla the other wing if not on SA 7's duty
Alistair Vermaak
Duane Vermeulen - My starting 8
EW Viljoen - Doubt he'll get time with Kolbe and Taute there but one for the future</article>
<article></article><article>
</article>
<article></article><article>Michael Willemse</article><article></article><article>

An exciting pre-season squad. I expect Seabelo Senatla will also be back from 7's duty though I'm not sure. Who else is there... not sure if Pat Howard will be back from Munster. Not many new signings but the core is there and it seems we are backing our youngsters- which I am glad for- to provide the depth we'll invariably need.
</article>

Last edited:
Based on the squad photo shoot, this is what we are looking at in Durban.
Prop
Lourens Adriaanse
Dale Chadwick
Jannie du Plessis
Thomas du Toit
Tendai Mtawarira
Matt Stevens

Hooker
Kyle Cooper
Bismarck du Plessis
Monde Hadebe
Franco Marais

Second Row
JC Astle
Pieter Steph du Toit
Mouritz Botha
Stephan Lewies
Lubabalu Mtyanda
Etienne Oosthuizen
Marco Wentzel

Back Row
Willem Alberts
Renaldo Bothma
Marcell Coetzee
Daniel du Preez
Francois Kleinhans
Khaya Majola
Lubabalo Mtembu

Scrum Half
Conrad Hoffmann
Cobus Reinach
Hanco Venter
Cameron Wright

Standoff

Lionel Cronje
Patrick Lambie
Fred Zeilinga

Centre
Andre Esterhuizen
Paul Jordaan (long term injury)
Waylon Murray
Heimar Williams

Back Three
Tonderai Chavhanga
Alcino Izaacs
SP Marais
Sizo Maseko
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Sibusiso Sithole
Jaco van Tonder
Jack Wilson

Others abroad who could be involved
Ryan Kankowski (Back row)
JP Pietersen (Back three)
Francois Steyn (Centre)
Tim Swiel (Standoff)

Knew I was missing someone. Also added Swiel, although I could see him staying in England full time if he is able to.
Rumours we are after Michael Claassens. Could be decent options so that Reinach isn't the sole seniority figure. We have plenty of young guys, Ungerer as well as those names above. I'd look for Tyler Fisher to be involved at some point.

Knew I was missing someone. Also added Swiel, although I could see him staying in England full time if he is able to.
Rumours we are after Michael Claassens. Could be decent options so that Reinach isn't the sole seniority figure. We have plenty of young guys, Ungerer as well as those names above. I'd look for Tyler Fisher to be involved at some point.

Pity about Swiel; I was hoping he'd get some better consistency and game management with experience and come back to the Cape as we need a long term 10. I expect WP (and Sharks LOL) and SA has lost another promising young back in Pat Howard as well as he seems to be enjoying Ireland.

I reckon this is the last time we will see Naka as coach of the Cheetahs. Reason I say this is because the Cheetahs will end last of the SA teams and probably dead last over all, not that this should be a reason to fire Naka as I believe he should have been let go ages ago.

I reckon this is the last time we will see Naka as coach of the Cheetahs. Reason I say this is because the Cheetahs will end last of the SA teams and probably dead last over all, not that this should be a reason to fire Naka as I believe he should have been let go ages ago.

Agreed on all points over here.

Paul Perez, who has been involved with the Sharks' preseason, has earned a three month trial period with them.
Waylon Murray has been brought in on a full contract.

Jean Deysel and Michael Claassens joins the Sharks.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Sharks-sign-ex-Bok-scrumhalf-20150209

I've always had the idea in my head that Jean Deysel could be a great hooker. I mean, he has the build and if he could be decent with line-out throwing he'd bring a lot to any side. Not the Sharks need or needed another hooker with all of John Smit, Bismarck, Craig Burden and Kyle Cooper being (or having been) stand-out hookers.

Jean Deysel and Michael Claassens joins the Sharks.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Sharks-sign-ex-Bok-scrumhalf-20150209

I've always had the idea in my head that Jean Deysel could be a great hooker. I mean, he has the build and if he could be decent with line-out throwing he'd bring a lot to any side. Not the Sharks need or needed another hooker with all of John Smit, Bismarck, Craig Burden and Kyle Cooper being (or having been) stand-out hookers.

Good to see yet another stalwart of SA coming back after pocketing in France.

Claassen would be a good back-up to Reinach and Hoffman. With Hoffman able to play both Scrumhalf and Flyhalf, gives the Sharks a bit more of a buffer.

As for Deysel. With his strength, he could be a very good loosehead prop... But I think it's now far too late for him to make such a shift.

The Sharks have announced their 40-man squad for the Super Rugby Season:

Sharks Super Rugby squad:

Lourens Adriaanse
Mouritz Botha
Renaldo Bothma
Dale Chadwick
Michael Claassens
Marcell Coetzee
Kyle Cooper
Lionel Cronjé
Jean Deysel
Bismarck du Plessis
Jannie du Plessis
Pieter-Steph du Toit
Thomas du Toit
Andre Esterhuizen
Monde Hadebe
Conrad Hoffmann
Ryan Kankowski
Patrick Lambie
Khaya Majola
Franco Marais
SP Marais
Beast Mtawarira
Tera Mtembu
Lubabalo Mtyanda
Waylon Murray
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Etienne Oosthuizen
Paul Perez
JP Pietersen
Cobus Reinach
S'bura Sithole
Matt Stevens
Frans Steyn
Stefan Ungerer
Marco Wentzel
Heimar Williams
Jack Wilson
Cameron Wright
Fred Zeilinga
The following players were not considered for selection at this stage due to injury:
JC Astle
Paul Jordaan
Stephan Lewies
Tonderai Chavhanga
Willem Alberts

No Kleinhans, Meyer, Van Tonder, Fisher, Venter. JvT and Fisher could have provided fullback cover. SP is a weak link at times, not sure what Jake did to him.
Great to see Deysel back, would like Daniel as well! Claassens could be a very good signing. Old head to help bring Wright/Venter/Ungerer through, as well as steady things if Reinach gets over eager. I don't think he will be available until they are done in France though (May).

Prop:
Lourens Adriaanse
Jannie du Plessis
Thomas du Toit
Dale Chadwick
Beast Mtawarira
Matt Stevens

Hooker:
Kyle Cooper
Bismarck du Plessis
Monde Hadebe
Franco Marais