• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 season Super Rugby squads: South Africa

Jannie is crap, I've never rated him. Maybe Malherbe is solid, maybe. SA has is struggling at LH and TH and I don't really rate anyone at present but van der Merwe does seem to be improving.

I hear wherre you're coming from. My feeling is that we, ITO our props, are now where we were 1/2 years ago with our fly halves; Steyn was Steyn and we knew what we had in him but needed more if we were going to push for no.1, Lambie and Goosen both had asterisks next to their names and we knew Pollard was coming but he was 2 years off.

Now, Beast and Jannie are getting a bit long in the tooth (Jannie in particular), Oosthuizen is a failed experiment at TH so there is some time lost there unfortunately. Malherbe has had 4 solid outings for the Bokke but like Goosen at 10 doesn't seem able to string 3 games together without injury (too young and unconditioned for the top level still). The rest have potential but need the opportunity to either prove or disprove themselves (Nyakane and MvdM with the inside tracks even if I rate the Lions' starting props, at least ITO the scrum). Du Toit is just way too young at this stage. Give him 2/3 years and he'll still be young for a prop and we'll have seen if he can build on the potential he's shown. Post 2015 those spots will be open and I am sure we'll get to the bottom of who can make it and who not sooner rather than later.

Glad he's gone, also never rated him. Better players were always behind him in the pecking order for some reason.

Jannie is not a bad player. He knows his rugby and even though i am concerned about his fitness, just having him in our squad whether it is as a springboks or a shark it really helps to grow the youngsters into more complete props. I wont bother my time disputing the fact that he is bad on defense but that aside i really feel he is under appreciated when it comes to the scrum and rucks.

Last edited:
1) Mtawarira/Du Toit
2) Du Plessis/Cooper
3) Du Plessis/Adriaanse
4) Oosthuizen/Bresler
5) PS du Toit/Lewies
6) Coetzee
7) Alberts
8) Mtembu
9) Reinach
10) Lambie
11) Mvovo/?
12) F Steyn
13) J Fourie
14) JPP/Ndungane
15) Marais/Mvovo

With Esterhuizen, Jordaan, Sithole all in line for a center/wing spot... not looking bad in the banana country.

We have also brought Renaldo Bothma in for Super Rugby. Really thrilled with this signing, thought he was great throughout the CC. Mtembu was our best forward, but I think the competition will benefit everybody. I haven't thought much of Kankowski for the past few years, and with Daniel/Deysel gone, we could have a very different backrow.

Paul Perez has had his EP Kings contract terminated, and now is trying to get with us. Hope not, his history isn't the best: http://www.sport24.co.za/Columnists/JJHarmse/Shame-on-you-EP-Kings-20100916

Maybe he has turned a corner? I don't know, but his recent termination doesn't help.

Michael Horak from FS Cheetahs has also been brought in as defence coach.

i cant be happier with the players the Sharks have at the moment but i'm having sleepless nights thinking of all the big clubs in France drooling over their next poach. I don't remember the cheetahs having a good defense anytime in the past 7 years now they buy their defense coach? nonetheless i will give it a year before i judge.

How far is smashley Johnson from winning a 4th Springbok cap, out of interest?

Phenomenal player IMO, such ball skills to go with the physical stuff. Watch him every week and really don't want him to leave!

Edit: ********, wrong thread. Can we please just pretend I'm not in the wrong place? :p

Check out the Bulls new kit for 2015:

Home:
e165a6cde9794f53b2017f6d12094372.jpg

Away:
b8940411036442c7aead3a069704125f.jpg

The Puma kits have a very similar approach; both 'light' and 'ethereal'. Looks good; better than last year at least.

Latest posts