• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

This is a massive mistake if that's the direction they're going in. I can understand them going with a quota of sorts, but effectively making the Pumas a club side isn't a smart decision long term. What they ought to do is work toward having 3 Super Rugby sides established in the next 15 years, and give them all important regional identities. To build a strong national team it certainly helps to have a range of strong local identities, and relying on one side won't allow for that.

Argentina is completely different to Australia in terms of development. Australia has 5 or 6 big cities with similar populations and spaced among them like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and maybe Canberra or Darwin.

Sydney and Melbourne have the same size (About 4 million people). Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide have similar sizes and all are strategically located in the country. There is almost the same distance between Sydney-Melbourne and Sydney-Brisbane, then all cities are remote and that is beneficial to the overall development of their country.

Argentina is quite another scenario is a centralized country. The state of Buenos Aires is home to almost half the population, about 17 million people. This doesn't allow a comprehensive development of the country, and that everything happens for the central state. The country isn't well designed and there's overcrowding in large urban centers, especially in Buenos Aires and other states have little development and small population.

Then get sponsors for other states is something difficult. Even for Buenos Aires, without the help of the World Rugby the franchise wouldn't be possible. Expect to develop rugby in the country to attract more sponsors and to create more franchises elsewhere in the future.

Last edited:
I agree. Like you in this forum, right? 121 messages and I've never seen a smart post about the game from you. Have you ever played rugby?

yep i did read your 4233 posts and they where all razor sharp.
i hope you keep on enlightening us about the complex oz nz relationship

Do people seriously think the Aussies and Kiwis hate each other.

Geez no sense of humour in other countries then. Its all taking the ****. Sport etc.
You dont go through what the ANZAC's did and not form some sort of bond.

Argentina is completely different to Australia in terms of development. Australia has 5 or 6 big cities with similar populations and spaced among them like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and maybe Canberra or Darwin.

Sydney and Melbourne have the same size (About 4 million people). Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide have similar sizes and all are strategically located in the country. There is almost the same distance between Sydney-Melbourne and Sydney-Brisbane, then all cities are remote and that is beneficial to the overall development of their country.

Argentina is quite another scenario is a centralized country. The state of Buenos Aires is home to almost half the population, about 17 million people. This doesn't allow a comprehensive development of the country, and that everything happens for the central state. The country isn't well designed and there's overcrowding in large urban centers, especially in Buenos Aires and other states have little development and small population.

Then get sponsors for other states is something difficult. Even for Buenos Aires, without the help of the World Rugby the franchise wouldn't be possible. Expect to develop rugby in the country to attract more sponsors and to create more franchises elsewhere in the future.

i disagree completely. . if this nonesense was true and the development of the country wasnt allowd" it would have been impossible to achive in orher sports like soccer that is even more competitive than rugby.

The difference is that football is widespread while Rugby is very concentrated in a few spots and non existent in the rest of the territory. .

Basic materialism my friend: the social base of football is 1:10 against that of rugby.

I said materialism but is commom sense.

Last edited:
Basic marxism my friend: the social base of football is 1:10 against that of rugby.

I said marxism but is commom sense.

If Argentina were to have 3 teams, where would you place them? Also, what do you imagine winning the Rugby World Cup would do for the sport over there?

Rosario and Córdoba apart from Buenos Aires.

It would mean a lot, in ARG the success is super important to increase the number of people interested in something (like everywere else I guess) but the quality of those fans and supporters won't be too great.

In other words: more lasers in the stadiums.

i disagree completely. . if this nonesense was true and the development of the country wasnt allowd" it would have been impossible to achive in orher sports like soccer that is even more competitive than rugby.

Football soccer is the best example of bad development that the country has. The 5 most important teams are from the capital city: River Plate, Boca Juniors, Independiente, San Lorenzo and Racing Club. While other countries like Spain or Germany have their best teams in different cities, Barcelona/Madrid. Or Dormunt and Munich in Germany.

So that's the reason, you are a soccer supporter talking about rugby, hahaha. I caught you!. You are like an AFL or NRL supporter talking about Rugby Union or soccer, hahahahahaha.

If Argentina were to have 3 teams, where would you place them? Also, what do you imagine winning the Rugby World Cup would do for the sport over there?

Outside of what it would do for Argentinian Rugby, imagine what it would do for world rugby!

I'm not sure there will be many rugby supporters that, outside of their own country (if they are still alive in the cup), would not want Argentina to win the whole thing!!

It would be fantastic to have a new first time RWC winner, and even better that it come from outside of the "traditional" rugby powerhouses.

Football soccer is the best example of bad development that the country has. The 5 most important teams are from the capital city: River Plate, Boca Juniors, Independiente, San Lorenzo and Racing Club. While other countries like Spain or Germany have their best teams in different cities, Barcelona/Madrid. Or Dormunt and Munich in Germany.

So that's the reason, you are a soccer supporter talking about rugby, hahaha. I caught you!. You are like an AFL or NRL supporter talking about Rugby Union or soccer, hahahahahaha.

It is possible to follow more than one football code, just for the record. I follow Rugby League and Union and understand both pretty well as I've played both.

So that's the reason, you are a soccer supporter talking about rugby, hahaha. I caught you!. You are like an AFL or NRL supporter

i love football but only played rugby and belong to a rugby family. .. many rugby fans also love football. of
those football teams you named as good example of our underdevelopement, 5 are world champions!!! boca, river, velez racing and independiente. if that is underdevelopement!..

It is possible to follow more than one football code, just for the record. I follow Rugby League and Union and understand both pretty well as I've played both.
Used to be league only.
Now am aussie rules, union, and soccer. Nrl killing the game.

Helps soccer is in the summer here

Ditto. I'm with you mate, I love Union and a pretty big (albeit jaded) league fan - I'm sure you can guess why ;) To imply you can't be knowledgable about one because you are a fan of another is plain dumb.

Outside of what it would do for Argentinian Rugby, imagine what it would do for world rugby!

I'm not sure there will be many rugby supporters that, outside of their own country (if they are still alive in the cup), would not want Argentina to win the whole thing!!

It would be fantastic to have a new first time RWC winner, and even better that it come from outside of the "traditional" rugby powerhouses.

Yep. As much as New Zealand will always be my first choice to win everything - if Argentina managed to win I'll certainly be able to swallow my disappointment and congratulate them. A first time winner rather than a third time winner is always a bit more exciting.

That said - I am more than happy to ruin the feel-good story for the All Blacks to dominate.

Last edited:
Used to be league only.
Now am aussie rules, union, and soccer. Nrl killing the game.

Helps soccer is in the summer here

Interesting. How is it the NRL is killing the game? Personally I've probably become a bigger fan over the past few years.

I don't mind the AFL - the old man is from WA - but never really can get too into it. As for soccer... it's probably the only game I genuinely dislike. Intrinsically negative as a sport, low contact and Australian soccer fans tend to be insufferable ******s who feel the need tell everyone that they have to call the game "football"

Do people seriously think the Aussies and Kiwis hate each other.

Geez no sense of humour in other countries then. Its all taking the ****. Sport etc.
You dont go through what the ANZAC's did and not form some sort of bond.

Yup exactly, would rather Aus or Argy win if we don't.

I have watched union for about 35 years now and used to watch league pretty hardcore also.

Don't watch much league now as my boy loves football, both playing and watching it so my 2nd sport I watch is football as it is bonding time with my boy.

Having played all 3 of them when I was younger as well helps.

In saying that I watch most sports if they are on.

Yep. As much as New Zealand will always be my first choice to win everything - if Argentina managed to win I'll certainly be able to swallow my disappointment and congratulate them. A first time winner rather than a third time winner is always a bit more exciting.

That said - I am more than happy to ruin the feel-good story for the All Blacks to dominate.

I would be stoked if Argentina won their semi, and if they beat us in a final I would be gutted but so happy for them.

As much as i want Australia to win it's not good that the same Nations keep winning the World cup over and over.

I really wanted Wales and Ireland to do good this World Cup they looked primed and ready to fire a legitimate shot, that neither of those nations have made a final and in Ireland's case even a semi is baffling.

I would like Argentina to win if Australia can't, however I'm not so altruistic to say I want them to beat us this Sunday.

Latest posts