• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Waratahs vs Hurricanes (Round 12)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140429070533652669.png

15 Israel Folau
14 Matt Carraro
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Kurtley Beale
11 Rob Horne
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Wycliff Palu
7 Michael Hooper
6 Dave Dennis (c)
5 Jacques Potgieter
4 Kane Douglas
3 Paddy Ryan
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Benn Robinson

140429070532508118.png

140429070528736655.png

15 Andre Taylor
14 Cory Jane
13 Conrad Smith (captain)
12 Alapati Leiua
11 Julian Savea
10 Beauden Barrett
9 TJ Perenara
8 Victor Vito
7 Jack Lam
6 Faifili Levave
5 James Broadhurst
4 Jeremy Thrush
3 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
2 Dane Coles
1 Ben Franks

Last edited:
Waratahs named as per Planet Rugby http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_9288573,00.html

Waratahs:15 Israel Folau, 14 Matt Carraro, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Dave Dennis (c), 5 Jacques Potgieter, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Paddy Ryan, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements (two to be omitted): 16 Tola Latu, 17 Jeremy Tilse, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Stephen Hoiles, 21 Pat McCutcheon, 22 Brendon McKibbin, 23 Jono Lance, 24 Alofa Alofa, 25 Cam Crawford.

So, a few changes from last week, with Palu starting at 8,Dave Dennis moves from 8 to Blindside flank, Jacques Potgieter moves from Blindside flank to lock, Will Skelton drops to the bench ... Matt Carraro comes in on the right wing

Season defining for the Waratahs this match. If they lose this they will struggle. They have a bye next week, so even if they win the next two after that - Lions (H) & Rebels(A) - they might not gain much in table position, then they finish with the Chiefs (A), Brumbies (H), Highlanders (H) and Reds (A), and they don't win often in Brizzie (3 out of 10)

Hurricanes named as per the New Zealand stuff website http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9997142/Hurricanes-drop-Chris-Smylie-for-Billy-Guyton

Looks like we will see Tasman Makos player Billy Guyton come on at some stage as the replacement halfback :)

Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (captain), Alapati Leiua, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, James Broadhurst, Jeremy Thrush, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Dane Coles, Ben Franks. Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Chris Eves, Reggie Goodes, Blade Thomson, Ardie Savea, Billy Guyton, Tim Bateman, Matt Proctor.

The Hurricanes looked good last week. Structured, confident, and dominant. The Waratahs are not the Reds and undefeated at home this year will do a better job of wrestling control from the men in gold. But if the Hurricanes can play with the same demeanour they did last week they will be too good.
The Hurricanes have shown massive improvement and I hope it continues. There are still areas they can do better in.

For one, Perenara needs to stop passing the ball above Barretts head. He does it regularly off ball that is as good and clean as a halfback could want. Barrett fields the passes without problem (sometimes having to jump) but the difference between catching a ball at or above head height and catching it at chest level may be a matter of milliseconds but in a fast paced game like Super Rugby a player can cover 5 meters in a matter of milliseconds. That is time Barrett could use but has lost unnecessarily. I like Perenara but passing accuracy should be a halfbacks bread and butter. Keep an eye on it if you don't believe me he's been doing it regularly enough. Hopefully he tightens up though and makes me look foolish. If he does that, I'll be happy.

The Hurricanes Waratahs have usually put on good entertaining games over the years. I'm keen to see the battle in the back row, particularly 8.

Vito is a beast. If he carries on like he did last week (which he will because he is a classy professional) the All Blacks better pick him up. While Kieran Read has 8 sewn up and is Mr Rugby, Vito is not far behind in regard to skill, tackling, work ethic, and reading the game. Plus he can cover 6, is a reliable option in the lineout, a natural leader, and a positive influence on the field and off. It would be a loss to New Zealand rugby if he heads overseas at the end of this year. With the world cup next year anything can happen. If he's not here and something happens to Read come world cup...we will miss Vito sorely.

With Palu returning for the Waratahs I can't wait to see Vito dominate in this battle of 8s. (Read vs Mowen would have been a great match up this weekend but...it's not going to happen. Though I'm looking forward to Vito and Read going two rounds later this year.)

Hurricanes!

The Hurricanes looked good last week. Structured, confident, and dominant. The Waratahs are not the Reds and undefeated at home this year will do a better job of wrestling control from the men in gold. But if the Hurricanes can play with the same demeanour they did last week they will be too good.
The Hurricanes have shown massive improvement and I hope it continues. There are still areas they can do better in.

For one, Perenara needs to stop passing the ball above Barretts head. He does it regularly off ball that is as good and clean as a halfback could want. Barrett fields the passes without problem (sometimes having to jump) but the difference between catching a ball at or above head height and catching it at chest level may be a matter of milliseconds but in a fast paced game like Super Rugby a player can cover 5 meters in a matter of milliseconds. That is time Barrett could use but has lost unnecessarily. I like Perenara but passing accuracy should be a halfbacks bread and butter. Keep an eye on it if you don't believe me he's been doing it regularly enough. Hopefully he tightens up though and makes me look foolish. If he does that, I'll be happy.

The Hurricanes Waratahs have usually put on good entertaining games over the years. I'm keen to see the battle in the back row, particularly 8.

Vito is a beast. If he carries on like he did last week (which he will because he is a classy professional) the All Blacks better pick him up. While Kieran Read has 8 sewn up and is Mr Rugby, Vito is not far behind in regard to skill, tackling, work ethic, and reading the game. Plus he can cover 6, is a reliable option in the lineout, a natural leader, and a positive influence on the field and off. It would be a loss to New Zealand rugby if he heads overseas at the end of this year. With the world cup next year anything can happen. If he's not here and something happens to Read come world cup...we will miss Vito sorely.

With Palu returning for the Waratahs I can't wait to see Vito dominate in this battle of 8s. (Read vs Mowen would have been a great match up this weekend but...it's not going to happen. Though I'm looking forward to Vito and Read going two rounds later this year.)

Hurricanes!

Should be interesting to see who has the dominant forward pack - both seem to be going pretty well at the moment, which will have a bearing on which of the two number 8's have the better night ... I'm also keen to see how Jack Lam and Michael Hopper match up, as they both been in great form too.

I have noticed that Perenara's passes aren't always where you'd like them to be, but his game last week was his best all season IMO, so hopefully he can address this issue, and play even better still.

As Cooky says, it's a season defining game for both sides ... no doubt about it, the Hurricanes have hit some great form at the right time, but the Tahs won't be a push over on their homeground

If the Canes can shut the Tahs backline down (fast line speed on defence, not kicking to Folau), they should win ... but that backline only need a few chances, and they usually score ... should be a great running game providing the weather cooperates - looking forward to it

Hurricanes named as per the New Zealand stuff website http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9997142/Hurricanes-drop-Chris-Smylie-for-Billy-Guyton

Looks like we will see Tasman Makos player Billy Guyton come on at some stage as the replacement halfback :)

Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (captain), Alapati Leiua, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, James Broadhurst, Jeremy Thrush, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Dane Coles, Ben Franks. Reserves: Motu Matu'u, Chris Eves, Reggie Goodes, Blade Thomson, Ardie Savea, Billy Guyton, Tim Bateman, Matt Proctor.

More likely we will see Guyton sit on the bench for 80 minutes ;) Guyton is an interesting player - he spent 3 years as a midfield back for North Otago before shifting to Tasman and converting to a halfback. He's made a pretty miraculous transformation in less than a season...

I agree entirely regarding Perenara's passing this season - it has has been poor at best. He's never been an outstanding passing halfback, but in previous seasons his passing has been to an acceptable standard. Hopefully he can get back the that level as the backline will be even more potent when Barrett gets some better ball from Perenara....

Hurricanes!

While I do have some time for Vito I don't think he is anywhere near the class of Read. I think he is probably still the 2nd best 8 in the country and has all the tools to be a top class test performer, but something is missing. Last weekend against the Reds he was incredibly physical - he needs to play like that every week if he wants to get back in the AB's. Far too often I feel he doesn't impose himself on the game enough - he is usually very accurate, but at times he plays like a man half his size.

Personally I would be surprised if he makes the 1st AB's squad of the season as I can't find any room for him. McCaw, Cane, and Read are all certainties (for obvious reasons), as is Messam too (as did a great job for the AB's last season). Kaino is back and looks close to his best again in recent weeks so you would imagine he would be picked. If the All Blacks chose 6 loose-forwards Luatua will likely be the 6th one chosen - he isn't in the best form this season, but provides a valuable 4th locking option if required.

Anyways.... Should be an interesting game. The Canes have impressed in recent weeks, but the Waratahs are a very difficult side to play at home. The key for the Canes will be to keep playing the same way the have been. If Savea, Leiua, Taylor, Barrett etc get a bit of space they can punish any side. Obviously the Waratahs have plenty of attacking threats of their own - the key to shutting down Folau is to make sure he doesn't get the ball!

While I do have some time for Vito I don't think he is anywhere near the class of Read. I think he is probably still the 2nd best 8 in the country and has all the tools to be a top class test performer, but something is missing. Last weekend against the Reds he was incredibly physical - he needs to play like that every week if he wants to get back in the AB's. Far too often I feel he doesn't impose himself on the game enough - he is usually very accurate, but at times he plays like a man half his size.
Read is the man. You have no arguments from me. Best rubgy player in the world over the last couple of years.

And you make a very good point in regards to Vito's physical presence. He has everything else but is lacking a bit of mongrel. Last year it was especially noticeable. He looked great in the ITM cup though and this season has only just started for him. It seems to be his mindset going into the tackle. He seems to go into contact looking to set up the next phase rather than to crash and drive through leaving would be tacklers strewn behind him. This was what Luatua does that the All Blacks like. If Vito can improve that one aspect of his game he will be the complete package. The All Blacks gave him that message and he's come back this year looking bigger than he has in the past. His season has really only just started so I hope that over the coming weeks he will make his case on the field.

These two are good on attack but man the defence is rubbish at times. Looks like its 24 all at HT. Im thinking the Tahs might take this in the second half their forwards look to be going alot better in the later bit of that first half.

Read is the man. You have no arguments from me. Best rubgy player in the world over the last couple of years.

And you make a very good point in regards to Vito's physical presence. He has everything else but is lacking a bit of mongrel. Last year it was especially noticeable. He looked great in the ITM cup though and this season has only just started for him. It seems to be his mindset going into the tackle. He seems to go into contact looking to set up the next phase rather than to crash and drive through leaving would be tacklers strewn behind him. This was what Luatua does that the All Blacks like. If Vito can improve that one aspect of his game he will be the complete package. The All Blacks gave him that message and he's come back this year looking bigger than he has in the past. His season has really only just started so I hope that over the coming weeks he will make his case on the field.

IMO Vito is goneburgers I cant see any reason for Hanson to select him with the other players available.

Nothing much has changed with Barrett's defence is still ****. Kicking goals like a champion though....

Last edited:
Great game for the neutral, Hurricanes really should have won the match, leading 24-7 at one point. They'll be kicking themselves.

HUGE victory for Tahs, very very important

Yeah massive come back from the Waratahs, thought the Canes had it at 24-7, shows you how hard it is to win on the road. Savea had a really quiet game, the pick of the back three was Taylor.

Thought Coles had a good game, Vito in patches, Lam was strong again.

Hooper was massive the home team, really nailed it in defense and at the breakdown.

Must be hard having Walsh as a referee, he comes across as a real cock smoking idiot.

To be honest, the Hurricanes didn't really look like they'll win even when they were leading. I kept thinking their defence was going to fall to pieces any minute - and it did, repeatedly. It was too jittery to shut down the Waratahs attack.

Latest posts