• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Waratahs v Reds (Round 3)

Tell me about it! Loving that he's with the 'Tahs!

Beale had no right to score that try! :lol:
Ran directly into traffic and still managed to get over the line

Beale had no right to score that try! :lol:
Ran directly into traffic and still managed to get over the line

Yeah I know right? I was thinking there's no way he'll get there, but he's so bloody unpredictable that the Reds boys were just too focussed on all the other things he might do with the ball that him running it didn't seem likely enough. Brilliant having Beale running off Foley - really makes them tough to defend against when you're then having to focus on the likes of what our back three might do as well.

I'm getting scared now.
Beale seems to be taking rugby serious and being the class act he is and Folau is fast becoming the best runner in world rugby

I'm getting scared now.
Beale seems to be taking rugby serious and being the class act he is and Folau is fast becoming the best runner in world rugby

As a long term Waratahs fan I've learnt to ingrain my pessimism, but I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen a Waratahs side with a backline as lethal as this. On top of that, the forward pack is pretty bloody good too, with some absolute monsters to get the ball forward like Will Skelton and Palu (who is playing with a bit of conviction). All the have to do is fix their line out and make sure they don't ease off on teams like they did against the Reds in the second half - they need to go one with it.

One side note, the Waratahs beat the Reds in a similar way in 2011 at home... the Reds then won the comp. Let's hope there's no repeat of history and the Tahs go on this year.

As a long term Waratahs fan I've learnt to ingrain my pessimism, but I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen a Waratahs side with a backline as lethal as this. On top of that, the forward pack is pretty bloody good too, with some absolute monsters to get the ball forward like Will Skelton and Palu (who is playing with a bit of conviction). All the have to do is fix their line out and make sure they don't ease off on teams like they did against the Reds in the second half - they need to go one with it.

One side note, the Waratahs beat the Reds in a similar way in 2011 at home... the Reds then won the comp. Let's hope there's no repeat of history and the Tahs go on this year.

But for Aus as a whole and Waratahs especially. They know the skills are there and the difference isn't hoping players come good but is mentality correct. An easy example is the difference between a tuned in Beale and a "going through motions" Beale is worlds apart

I'm turning into a Folau fan :)

It's hard not to like him isn't it? He also comes across as being a genuinely top bloke.

But for Aus as a whole and Waratahs especially. They know the skills are there and the difference isn't hoping players come good but is mentality correct. An easy example is the difference between a tuned in Beale and a "going through motions" Beale is worlds apart

You're on the money there. At his best, Beale is probably a better playmaker than Cooper (better footwork and vision), so if he keeps good the Wallabies could really come good this year.

I can already see the Wallabies having an absolutely stellar side this year. On form I'd go with the following:

1. Robinson
2. Polota Nau (got better ball skills and aggression than more
3. Alexander
4. Pyle (was impressed with him last year)
5. Skelton (by season end he'll be ready)
6. Mowen
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins (maybe change to Alofa Alofa if he keeps improving)
12. Beale
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Not a bad side for the Rugby Championship.

Last edited:
It's hard not to like him isn't it? He also comes across as being a genuinely top bloke.

You're on the money there. At his best, Beale is probably a better playmaker than Cooper (better footwork and vision), so if he keeps good the Wallabies could really come good this year.

I can already see the Wallabies having an absolutely stellar side this year. On form I'd go with the following:

1. Robinson
3. Alexander
6. Mowen
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. Beale
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Add to that the likes of Hooper, Palu, Gill, Toomua, Leli fano, AAC, Moore, Slipper and Aus could have a very good year ahead.

So glad the Waratahs have managed to get Foley, Beale, Folau all in one backline. Should be illegal.

I was on the Folau bandwagon well before everybody else, thank you very much. Geez, he is the Rory Kockott of fullbacks.

Tahs has a great backline with Bernard Foley, AAC, Kurtley Beale, Alofa Alofa and of course Izzy Folau.

1. Robinson
3. Alexander
6. Mowen
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. Beale
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Beautiful team, bud! Wallabies can beat ABs this year. I hope that

Last edited:
So the brumbies are the only outfit that might give the Waratahs a run in the aussie conferance. The Waratahs will win this Conferance at an absolute dawdle. And be sitting pretty come finals time. They will be very hard to beat. They have looked pretty impressive so far and look like they mean business. From what iv seen i would not be suprised if the Waratahs sweep the NZ teams aswell or come very close to it. None of the NZ teams are standing out atm. They are all relatively even. The Chiefs forwards for me have been average so far they are winning but got a bit of a belting against both the Saders and HL.

So the brumbies are the only outfit that might give the Waratahs a run in the aussie conferance. The Waratahs will win this Conferance at an absolute dawdle. And be sitting pretty come finals time. They will be very hard to beat. They have looked pretty impressive so far and look like they mean business. From what iv seen i would not be suprised if the Waratahs sweep the NZ teams aswell or come very close to it. None of the NZ teams are standing out atm. They are all relatively even. The Chiefs forwards for me have been average so far they are winning but got a bit of a belting against both the Saders and HL.

I think it is far to early to say with any conviction that the Waratahs will win the Australian conference - it is a very long season, and often teams performing in the early weeks aren't the same sides performing at the end of the season. However it is a very positive start for the Waratahs - on paper they have had a very strong side for a number of years, but have never really delivered on their potential. Perhaps this is the season they finally do. The Waratahs forward pack is performing well - having a fit and firing Wycliff Palu makes a big difference to them, while the backline is stacked full of talent. I'm still slightly skeptical of Beale at 12. He has performed well over the last couple of weeks, but I do think sides could target him on defense, as he can be a bit hit and miss on defense at times, and I'm sure he is not used to making 10+ tackles per game (which he will have to against some sides).

The Reds as a whole were very disappointing, but can only really improve. There is not a lot of changes that the could make that would improve their side (though would like to see F-Sautia starting every week), they just need the team they have to step up. I expect they will be fired up for the Cheetahs game in Brisbane next Friday...

I think it is far to early to say with any conviction that the Waratahs will win the Australian conference - it is a very long season, and often teams performing in the early weeks aren't the same sides performing at the end of the season. However it is a very positive start for the Waratahs - on paper they have had a very strong side for a number of years, but have never really delivered on their potential. Perhaps this is the season they finally do. The Waratahs forward pack is performing well - having a fit and firing Wycliff Palu makes a big difference to them, while the backline is stacked full of talent. I'm still slightly skeptical of Beale at 12. He has performed well over the last couple of weeks, but I do think sides could target him on defense, as he can be a bit hit and miss on defense at times, and I'm sure he is not used to making 10+ tackles per game (which he will have to against some sides).

The Reds as a whole were very disappointing, but can only really improve. There is not a lot of changes that the could make that would improve their side (though would like to see F-Sautia starting every week), they just need the team they have to step up. I expect they will be fired up for the Cheetahs game in Brisbane next Friday...

To be honest I think you're still thinking of the Beale of old... from what I've heard around the 'Tahs camp Cheika has him fitter and more focussed than he's ever been before, and like we all kept expecting people to walk through Quade 'turnstiles' Cooper without breaking a sweat, players do change and improve. Cooper did it, and I think this year will show Beale has as well.

Other than that, I agree that it's WAY too early to tell if the Tahs will be contenders this year. It's going to be a tough tournament this year, and the Tahs are hardly the only side with a star-studded line up. That said, Cheika is the best coach the Tahs have had since McKenzie, and this is the best team I've seen them field for a while. I certainly think they're more balanced than both the Reds and Brumbies, but we'll have to wait and see how it looks come finals time.

For now though, I'm just going to revel in the boys utter destruction of Queensland - it's been a little while between drinks and there's little more satisfying in the round robin stage than beating the banana benders :D .

Last edited:
To be honest I think you're still thinking of the Beale of old... from what I've heard around the 'Tahs camp Cheika has him fitter and more focussed than he's ever been before, and like we all kept expecting people to walk through Quade 'turnstiles' Cooper without breaking a sweat, players do change and improve. Cooper did it, and I think this year will show Beale has as well.

Fair enough. The thing with Beale is that there is nothing wrong with his defense when he is focused and committed (much like Quade Cooper). If Cheika can get him to really focus on this aspect of his game he will be fine (as you suggest), but I don't think we will really know until he is tested by some big centres. How he goes against McCabe (if fit) and Kuridrani in a few weeks time should tell us a lot.

What is your problem with me? It's only 2 paragraphs! It's not even a complete note

Been away on holiday so only just replying now. See Mr Fish's posts as they basically echo my thoughts. Do you get what he is saying?

Been away on holiday so only just replying now. See Mr Fish's posts as they basically echo my thoughts. Do you get what he is saying?

Your post was stupid. The point of the thread was about the game: "Tahs vs Reds" If I did a copy of 2 paragraphs it's too little for your worry so much. So you didn't talk rugby, you just cared about something so small against me.

Please talk about rugby, which is what really matters. Let's not argue about unimportant things.

Cheers

Last edited:
Your post was stupid. The point of the thread was about the game: "Tahs vs Reds" If I did a copy of 2 paragraphs it's too little for your worry so much. So you didn't talk rugby, you just cared about something so small against me.

Please talk about rugby, which is what really matters. Let's not argue about unimportant things.

Cheers

Bro, you need to calm down. You clearly haven't read anything of the discussion regarding your post, there are a variety of issues it raised. It is not a huge deal but certainly one you need to learn from and why I raised it!

While I don't care to spend any significant time arguing with you (this will be my last post on the matter), I do find it slightly amusing/ironic that you are requesting I "talk rugby" when apparently your idea of "talking rugby" is, amongst other things, posting someone else's write up, without crediting them, and therefore seemingly flogging them off as your own. You need to understand why there are issues there! At the very least I echo Mr Fish's thoughts in so much as that is tacky at best!

Look Conrad, I really appreciate the enthusiasm that you bring to this forum, particularly seeing as you come from a country which is not so much known for their rugby enthusiasm. I also understand that there is a language barrier that may result in certain things not coming across as they are intended. It is ultimately up to you as to how you want to conduct your self on this forum and what you want to take from it. If you think my post was "stupid", then so be it. If not, then learn from it. It should not have been that big a deal, I did after all indicate that I was not 100% familiar with the rules, and I also made it clear that I suspected you may not have either! Like sansaz said, you didn't need to remove it, rather just indicate the source! If you are going to go through the trouble of copying and pasting in someone's article then adding the source should be no big deal right??

Anyway mate, all the best.

As for the rugby. I managed to watch a bit of the game and was very impressed with the Tahs. I think they are a shoe in for the OZ conference this year. Forward pack really dominated and set the platform. I like their halves pairing and their outside backs have real pace and skill. I suspect those back three will all score a bunch of tries this season. It's a shame they have a bye this weekend as I imagine they would have liked to keep the roll on. Rnd 5 v the Brumbies should be another good tester for them in Canberra and if Pocock is out then I suspect the Tahs may well grab another win!

Latest posts