• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Sharks vs. Bulls (Round 1)

Anybody found the highlights? Would be greatly appreciated! :D

Found them!

Last edited by a moderator:
So how did old Matfield go? Didn't see the game, but I heard he came on for most of the second half.

The Bulls played some **** poor rugby, the kicking game isn't working and hasn't been effective for a while. Why employ it if you have guys like Serfontein, Engelbrecht and Basson? Nobody was competing for the ball on the ground, they loose trio needs to be adjusted. Line outs and scrums were ok. Spies as usual was nowhere and it seems to me the Bulls are leaderless. 9 and 10 was a joke, Hougaard is an excellent player but he has to be allowed to play his own game. The faster Ludeke brings in JLP the better. The Bulls were their own worst enemy at times, knocking the ball etc close to the line a couple of times. I don't understand why Dawie Steyn who was signed from the Pumas in 2011 isn't playing SR? He destroyed every prop that scrummed against him in the CC!

Hopefully Jesse Kriel recovers quick as Jurgen Visser is ****! Get rid op Paul Willemse and play Du Plessis at lock. Better players are being wasted and leaving the union, case in point Jano Vermaak.

Bulls have 2 areas of huge concern and I don't know how they will fix it

9-10 combination
loose forward makeout:
Ross is no 6
Spies still as absent as ever
Playing a potentially brilliant lock at 7

Not the best start, but I knew this was going to happen. It wasn't a good weekend for me sports-wise. I was Saturday at Supersport Park Centurion, watching the 4th day of the 1st test between SA and Australia. Had a lot of fun, even though the cricket was crappy and my team lost. Luckily the game was over before the Super Rugby started, made it back in time to catch both games. My second favourite team, the cheetahs lost to the lions, which was unexpected, and then the Bulls got slaughtered by the Sharks, which I did expect.

Luckily Arsenal won yesterday, so that made up for the other 3 losses...

As for the game, I will look at the positives (not that there are many).

Jacques Du Plessis. This guy was the standout performer for me for the Bulls. he made 16 tackles and won 2 turnovers.
Flip van der Merwe, I couldn't help but to applaud him when he ran over PSDT.
Victor Matfield made 9 tackles when he was on the field. Which just shows his work rate and hunger to play again. Welcome back Big Vic!!

As for the downsides:
Callie Visagie - Our lineout powers are useless if our hooker isn't spot on with his throws!! He was a big source of frustration for me!!
Jonno Ross - Man this guy is just poor!! No work rate, can't tackle, loses posession in contact, and can't steal the ball at ruck time!!
Francois Hougaard - Was it just because it was Valentine's Day weekend and his ex-girlfriend that was shot a year ago by Oscar Pistorius that made him not focus?? What a poor game! that try of Cobus Reinach should never have happened!!!

Well done Sharks! You are my pick to win the tournament this year from the SA conference...

Not the best start, but I knew this was going to happen. It wasn't a good weekend for me sports-wise. I was Saturday at Supersport Park Centurion, watching the 4th day of the 1st test between SA and Australia. Had a lot of fun, even though the cricket was crappy and my team lost. Luckily the game was over before the Super Rugby started, made it back in time to catch both games. My second favourite team, the cheetahs lost to the lions, which was unexpected, and then the Bulls got slaughtered by the Sharks, which I did expect.

Luckily Arsenal won yesterday, so that made up for the other 3 losses...

As for the game, I will look at the positives (not that there are many).

Jacques Du Plessis. This guy was the standout performer for me for the Bulls. he made 16 tackles and won 2 turnovers.
Flip van der Merwe, I couldn't help but to applaud him when he ran over PSDT.
Victor Matfield made 9 tackles when he was on the field. Which just shows his work rate and hunger to play again. Welcome back Big Vic!!

As for the downsides:
Callie Visagie - Our lineout powers are useless if our hooker isn't spot on with his throws!! He was a big source of frustration for me!!
Jonno Ross - Man this guy is just poor!! No work rate, can't tackle, loses posession in contact, and can't steal the ball at ruck time!!
Francois Hougaard - Was it just because it was Valentine's Day weekend and his ex-girlfriend that was shot a year ago by Oscar Pistorius that made him not focus?? What a poor game! that try of Cobus Reinach should never have happened!!!

Well done Sharks! You are my pick to win the tournament this year from the SA conference...

Though it doesn't excuse his poor pass, that try never should have been allowed anyway!

I think a big reason for the loss (well, the nature of the loss) were the poor showings from Hougaard and the first five.

Though it doesn't excuse his poor pass, that try never should have been allowed anyway!

I think a big reason for the loss (well, the nature of the loss) were the poor showings from Hougaard and the first five.

It's debatable. The Ref went to the TMO, and in fairness the angles didn't show a clear knock-on from the lineout. I thought there were grounds for a penalty as Bresler played the Bulls jumper in the air which resulted in his bottom hand knocking the ball. But I'm not going to play the blame game on Jaco Peyper and his team, as they weren't the reason for my team losing.

We were outmuscled, outsmarted, and outplayed in all facets. I was surprised our scrum did well and didn't concede as much penalties at the scrums.

It's debatable. The Ref went to the TMO, and in fairness the angles didn't show a clear knock-on from the lineout. I thought there were grounds for a penalty as Bresler played the Bulls jumper in the air which resulted in his bottom hand knocking the ball. But I'm not going to play the blame game on Jaco Peyper and his team, as they weren't the reason for my team losing.

We were outmuscled, outsmarted, and outplayed in all facets. I was surprised our scrum did well and didn't concede as much penalties at the scrums.

I completely agree that it wasn't the reason for the loss by any means. In my eyes it was a clear penalty (given what Matfield was penalised for at a later lineout!), and even if the TMO somehow ignored that infringement, the reason the ball came loose was because the Sharks lock slapped it out of the Bulls lock's hands, ergo a knock on.

I completely agree that it wasn't the reason for the loss by any means. In my eyes it was a clear penalty (given what Matfield was penalised for at a later lineout!), and even if the TMO somehow ignored that infringement, the reason the ball came loose was because the Sharks lock slapped it out of the Bulls lock's hands, ergo a knock on.

Not really, just because he slapped it, doesn't make it a knock on. The footage doesn't show it clearly going forward.

As a neutral Bresler should have been penalized, he played the man in the air.
Soon thereafter the Bulls got a penalty against them for lesser interference in a line out.

As a neutral Bresler should have been penalized, he played the man in the air.
Soon thereafter the Bulls got a penalty against them for lesser interference in a line out.

Amen! The line out just before the try PDST also played the Bulls man in the air, the ref didn't penalise either of the two infringements until the 3rd one happened. The ref wasn't to blame for the poor Bulls but I did see plenty of inconsistency in both of Saturdays matches.

See SARU agreed it should not have a try, media is all over it

See SARU agreed it should not have a try, media is all over it

Ah great! Just when I saw it, my dad goes and asks, I wonder what is the stat of games Jaco Peyper has been in charge and where the Bulls have played. And then the amount of games they have won...

Also read Jason Jafta will be out for a while due to a knee injury - Peyper replaced him

Latest posts