• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Lions vs. Stormers (Round 2)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Super%20Rugby.png

Johannesburg, ZA
Lions.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png
Date :22 February 2014
Venue : Ellis Park, Johannesburg
Kick Off : 19h10 (local), 17h10 (GMT)
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant Ref 1:Jason Jaftha/TBC (South Africa),
Assistant Ref 2:Cobus Wessels (South Africa)
TMO:Johan Greeff (South Africa) with Pieter de Bruin (South Africa) in training

Lions:
Starting VX:
15 Chrysander Botha, 14 Deon van Rensburg, 13 Stefan Watermeyer, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Ruan Combrinck, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley (c), 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Franco Mostert, 3 Julian Redelinghuys, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Schalk van der Merwe.
Replacements: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Ruan Dreyer, 19 MB Lusaseni, 20 Warwick Tecklenburg, 21 Ross Cronje, 22 JW Jonker, 23 Coenie van Wyk.

Stormers:
Starting VX:
15 Gio Aplon, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Michael van der Spuy, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Damian de Allende, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Louis Schreuder, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Rynhardt Elstadt, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements:
16 Deon Fourie, 17 Oliver Kebble, 18 Pat Cilliers, 19 Michael Rhodes, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Ryno Eksteen.

Match preview:
The Lions will be playing with confidence after beating the Cheetahs (21-20) in their own backyard in round 1 (all their points scored by SR debutant fly half Marnitz Boshoff; 6 penalties and 1 drop goal) in what was the Lions' first game in Superugby after sitting the entire 2013 season out and gaining promotion back to Superugby through a superior points difference in their promotion/relegation matches with the Southern Kings. The question for the Lions will be if they can continue the upsets which will be a tough ask seeing as the Cheetahs were by and large their own worst enemies in round 1 playing with an uncharacteristic but understandable rustiness after playing no warm up matches against recognized 1st class teams while the Lions had a tough preseason taking on near full strength Sharks and Stormers sides in the lead up to round 1.

Which brings us to the Stormers. The Lions lost their preseason game but with the Stormers only now entering Superugby action after having a bye in round 1 for the second year running the Lions will fancy themselves the better prepared team especially at home. The Stormers though played 3 warm up matches and gave both the experienced campaigners and young blood game time losing only their final warm up game in an inter-franchise derby against 'poor cousins' the Boland. It has to be said though that the side was near full of Superugby rookies with few of their best players. The Stormers should be favorites but are going to take the field with many young faces new to this level of competition so should not take victory for granted- as the Cheetahs probably did at the cost of a defeat.

Personally I see the additions of young talent as a breath of fresh air for the Stormers who have found crossing the try line a difficulty in the last couple of seasons despite placing high on the overall logs. Look for a greater (though still lacking) sense of attack from the Cape franchise despite injury to their most potent running back Cheslin Kolbe while they keep their hard nosed edge up front despite star lock Eben Etzebeth only expected back towards the end of the season- Stormers by 9.

Last edited:
Stormers by 20+ if they play anywhere close to their potential

Stormers by 20+ if they play anywhere close to their potential

I'm not so sure...

That pack looks a bit meh, and from what I saw from the Lions last week, their forwards are hungry and hunt in a pack...

I'm going for the Stormers by 8

What, our pack, meh? Besides the Crusaders, Sharks and Chiefs I'd say we have the best pack. All Bok loose trio in Siya, Schalla and Duane. Our 1st choice front row is young but Kitshoff has a ton of experience for his age and both Malherbe and Scarra toured with the Bokke last year with good reason. Add Deon Fourie as back up for hooker and loose forward and that is gold right there! Elstadt and Carizza aren't our 1st choice but neither is a push over. When we have Etzebeth and Botha back we'll have possibly the most competitive line-out in the tournament. De Kock Steenkamp is experienced depth. Pat Cilliers is decent cover at prop. All in all the pack is the least of our concerns.

Our problem was and is a mediocre-ish halves pairing and no class 15 with a combined lack of kicking distance for a team playing a territorial or at wanting to play a territorial based game. Also no playmakers in either of 9/10/12/13/15 if plan A (playing without the ball) fails.

EDIT; updated the OP with the Lions' matchday squad..
Really, we should win this. 'Should' being the operative word.

Last edited:
Deon's weak point is his line-out throwing, he now covers both hooker and flank of the bench

Carizza starts his first Super Rugby game. Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings all, been out of it a while, with the Kings gone I'm back to being a Stormer.

Anyway I'm happy with the team for the most part, mostly because after seeing the same cookie-cutter "good on paper" teams for the last 2 years it's nice to have a change, even though it may not come off.
What happened to Schreuder going overseas? Did I dream that or read it from an unreliable source, also what do you guys think of de Allende on the wing, does he have the pace? I'm more than happy with Scarra starting Fourie is awful at hooker, everything he does well he can do from the side of the scrum, otherwise it will be interesting to see how the side shapes up, I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

In the end it's going to go down to the tactics of the staff more than the potential of the players as it always had, in 2012 we won everything by narrow margins, in 2013 those narrow margins often didn't go our way and we paid for it. We need to learn how to put teams away for good.

How is it that Ntubeni is picked ahead of Fourie?

Deon's weak point is his line-out throwing, he now covers both hooker and flank of the bench

I prefer it this way TBH; Deon might be better in open play but Scarra is no slouch and his core hooker duties he does better than Deon who has played his best rugby for us on the flanks. Especially our line-out has been going much smoother with Ntubeni. We are a set-piece dominance team at the end of the day and this just works better with Deon able to cover multiple roles and make his impact off the bench.
Carizza starts his first Super Rugby game. Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad for him and don't get me wrong but from a Stormers perspective it's sad we've lost both Etzebeth and Botha to injury.

Last edited:
Lions up 22-10 at the half. Have they been underestimated, or do you think the fast starts are a sign they'll eventually burn out - either late in the game or in the season?

das

Last edited:
34-10 - Congrats to the Lions for another fine (and surprising!) win! Where have they been hiding this Boshoff fella? He had a great game!

das

damn wasn't expecting that result. Lions are really motivated looks dangerous, Bulls to finish last in the SA conference?

Umm.... I thought the Lions were meant to suck? I'm just so confused :lol:

Those cheeky lions, stealing points from proper sides, it would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

What a results! Well played Lions. Looked good as well, that D when they went 20 mins at 14 players was ferocious

Poes.

Those cheeky lions, stealing points from proper sides, it would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

My thoughts exactly.

Seems the Lions have a strategy; tackle like they havn't tackled since the mid 90's and rely on Boshoff's boot. Seems to wrok as well though I really didn't expect that. Well, the guys were motivated, made their tackles (not that we threatened with much more than one off runners), spoiled well when needed and covered well when down a man and Boshoff took his chances.

I am still not convinced; Cheetahs were their own worst enemies and we just didn't have anything to really throw at them but so far so good for the Lions. Who'd have predicted that. Certainly not me. Maybe I shouldn't write them off so easily though. Well deserved wins so far.

So bad was the performance of JDV?? I read some reviews of Stormers supporters who say that JDV and Schalk Burger should retire

Latest posts