• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Hurricanes vs Highlanders (Round 14)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140513053601127736.png

1- Ben Franks
2- Matu Matu'u
3- Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4- Jeremy Trush
5- James Broadhurst
6- Faifili Levave
7- Jack Lam
8- Victor Vito
9- TJ Perenara
10- Beauden Barrett
11- Julian Savea
12- Tim Bateman
13- Conrad Smith
14- Cory Jane
15- Andre Taylor
140513053557584847.png

14051305360033269.png

1- Kane Hames
2- Liam Coltman
3- Ma'afu Fia
4- Jarrad Hoeata
5- Joe Wheeler
6- Elliot Dixon
7- Shane Christie
8- Nasi Manu
9- Aaron Smith
10- Hayden Parker
11- Jason Emery
12- Shaun Treeby
13- Malakai Fekitoa
14- Richard Buckman
15- Ben Smith

Last edited:
i'm flying up to wellington for this one...Win or Loose We're on the booze!

I hope for your sake, you won't be drowning your sorrows ... should be a great match ... a must win for both sides

...anyway, have a great time Jabby ... looks like my next live game is in Chicago :)

Enjoy the game mate!

Was it last years equivalent fixture that was like 60 points to 40 or something ridiculas like that in favour of the Highlanders? If you get something similar I imagine a fair few beers will be sunk :)

I hope to see a bigger crowd in this game. If I was in Wellington, I don't miss this game for nothing

my wife keeps asking me if we should book tickets...i clarify its the highlanders v the hurricanes...we can walk up

Will also be going to this one! Hoping for a cracking game!

Team Announcement - Hurricanes

1- Ben Franks
2- Matu Matu'u
3- Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4- Jeremy Trush
5- James Broadhurst
6- Faifili Levave
7- Jack Lam
8- Victor Vito
9- TJ Perenara
10- Beauden Barrett
11- Julian Savea
12- Tim Bateman
13- Conrad Smith
14- Cory Jane
15- Andre Taylor

Reserves:

16- Ash Dixon
17- Chris Eves
18- Reggie Goodes
19- Blade Thomson
20- Ardie Savea
21- Brad Shields
22- Chris Smylie
23- Alapati Leiua

Last edited:
Three loosies on the bench...

Biggest talking point is the return of Bateman at 12, and the fact that Coles is out injured.

we're brings four guys straight from club rugby...2 of which are u-20...

we're brings four guys straight from club rugby...2 of which are u-20...

We are only playing the Canes.... we could bring 22 players out of club rugby and still beat them :p

Probably the only club player likely to feature in the 23 is Seiuli, as I think we only have 3 other props available....

Highlanders (if anyone cares.....):

1. Kane Hames, 2. Liam Coltman, 3. Ma'afu Fia, 4. Jarrad Hoeata, 5. Joe Wheeler, 6. Elliot Dixon, 7. Shane Christie, 8. Nasi Manu (co-captain), 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Hayden Parker, 11. Jason Emery, 12. Shaun Treeby, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 14. Richard Buckman, 15. Ben Smith (co-captain).
Reserves: 16. Ged Robinson, 17. Matias Diaz, 18. Aki Seuli, 19. Tom Franklin, 20. Gareth Evans, 21. Fumiaki Tanaka, 22. Trent Renata, 23. Phil Burleigh.

Not too bad in my opinion (despite all the injuries). It is good to see Coltman back starting at hooker - Robinson always does a good job, but Coltman has the potential to offer even more. We do lose some mobility with King's suspension, but Fia will do a solid job in the scrum. Hoeata is back starting - I would have preferred to see Franklin start (as he looked good off the bench last week) but Joseph loves Hoeata like a son. I'm still not convinced about Dixon starting over Evans at 6 either, but it is good to see Christie back (I hope he is fully fit though!).

The backline is as expected. Parker played well last weekend, but he will have some bigger forwards and backs running at him this week. Emery did a pretty solid job on the wing too - it would be great to see him get a bit of space to move. I'm happy to see us go back to a more conventional 4/3 split on the bench too.

Overall I think the Canes should start this game as clear favourites. The Highlanders have performed pretty well this year but we have a number of injuries at the moment, and man for man the Canes are a much stronger side. I expect the scrums to be pretty even - the Otago props are less well known but are solid scrummagers (and Coltman is a very strong scrummaging hooker). The Canes should have an edge in the loose-forwards. Christie and Lam have both been in great form, but I think Levave is better than Dixon, and despite Manu playing consistently all year Vito offers even more for the Canes. The Canes also have Ardie Savea and Brad Shields on the bench......

Aaron Smith is in great form, but Perenara is starting to show some good signs too. It will be interesting to see how much pressure Perenara is able to put on Smith's delivery - I expect he will be able to disrupt Smith on a few occasions, but I expect he will get penalized a few times too. Barrett is on fire for the Canes at the moment. I quite like Parker, but Barrett is at a completely different level. The Canes have a slight edge in the midfield (due to Conrad Smith), but I do think they will miss Leiua's physicality. Despite the presence of Ben Smith the Canes have a huge advantage out wide too. Savea has been quieter in recent weeks but can tear any side apart at the moment, Jane is starting to show some good form, while Taylor is at his elusive best. If the Hurricanes get clean ball to their outside backs the Highlander will struggle to contain them - we need to either (a) stop them getting clean ball from the forwards, or (b) rush up in the midfield to shut them down (which Fekitoa can do on occasions). We need to be careful about of kicking game too - we either need to kick the ball out (and well out to prevent the quick throw-in) or make our kicks contestable, as the Canes have looked lethal on the counter-attack recently.

As much as I want the Highlanders to win I'm picking the Canes by 10-15 points.

Last edited:
better team than i feared we'd be able to field

prob the only change i would have made is franklin starting and TJ on the bench, TJ and evans would give us real spark off the bench

Highlanders (if anyone cares.....):

1. Kane Hames, 2. Liam Coltman, 3. Ma'afu Fia, 4. Jarrad Hoeata, 5. Joe Wheeler, 6. Elliot Dixon, 7. Shane Christie, 8. Nasi Manu (co-captain), 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Hayden Parker, 11. Jason Emery, 12. Shaun Treeby, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 14. Richard Buckman, 15. Ben Smith (co-captain).
Reserves: 16. Ged Robinson, 17. Matias Diaz, 18. Aki Seuli, 19. Tom Franklin, 20. Gareth Evans, 21. Fumiaki Tanaka, 22. Trent Renata, 23. Phil Burleigh.

Thanks for the lineup, buddie!

I will be cheering for the Canes, it is better if they win then the Highlanders for us.

In all honesty the Canes at home should be too strong based on current form and the Highlanders will be concerned after last weeks effort against teh Lions.

Expecting a big game from Savea tonight, his last couple have been a bit flat, also expect big things from Jane, with Piutau out of contention for June this is his chance to push for a spot.

Ben Smith!!!!

Sorry just warming up for when the game starts......:p

I'm just going to chant Smith, Smith, Smith, this way I should be sweet :)

Ben Smith may in fact be William Wallace....

In other news.... strong defense by both sides so far, but I do think they are both teams are playing a bit laterally....

Coltman isn't doing himself any favours regarding national selection at the moment. Needs to sort out his throwing...

Latest posts