• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Hurricanes vs Highlanders (Round 14)

We Won!?!?!? Not quite sure how we pulled that off! The difference in the end was goal-kicking. That drop goal by Parker ended up being vital too.

Perenara certainly outplayed Aaron Smith - it was Perenara's best game of the year in my opinion. Nasi Manu was man of the match for me though. He is unlikely to make the AB's as he doesn't play the way the AB's want their 8's to play, but he has been strong for us all season, and was superb this match!

Last edited:
Smith's box kicks have been almost all terrible.

It is something he has struggled to do consistently over the years.

The advantage rule has been so inconsistent amongst referees all season, esp the knock on advantage.

Good win by the Highlanders but it ****s me a team wins without scoring a try.

canes throwing that 1 away... miss right infront of goal by taylor?? is barrett an injury worry? if he is dropped from kicking duty cuz of missing... its not helping...

ben smith looks like Wiliam wallace from braveheart... blue mark across da face... what a warrior... ;)

Happy to see the second Perenara try ruled out, not because I have anything against him or the Hurricanes, but because I am heartily sick to death of seeing players getting away with clearing defenders out past the ball, and especially taking out goal-line defenders.

This time, its cost them.

Great win for the Highlanders, will make it very hard for the Hurricanes to make the top six now!

Manu was brilliant, got a tonne of go forward ball. The Highlanders backline was very quiet. Parker was probably the pick of the bunch, not because he was much use on attack, but because he slotted some very difficult shots at goal and made that pearler of a kick at the end.

A few of the Hurricanes players did not do themselves proud. Matu'u and Dixon between them were very average. Was Thrush playing? I genuinely don't remember hearing his name. Barrett getting injured was probably the difference in the end,

Happy to see the second Perenara try ruled out, not because I have anything against him or the Hurricanes, but because I am heartily sick to death of seeing players getting away with clearing defenders out past the ball, and especially taking out goal-line defenders.

This time, its cost them.

Clearing past the ball, or clearing someone who is stood past the ball not affecting play.

(i haven't seen the incident so i'm just trying to understand what happened)

Clearing past the ball, or clearing someone who is stood past the ball not affecting play.

The former. Smith was defending behind the ruck, about 1m out from the goal line. Hurricanes hooker went past the ruck and held onto Smith's torso/arms, Perenara scooped up the ball and dived over basically at Smith's feet.

This game remember me the game between Toulouse and Racing Metro in Top 14 play off where Racing won by Sexton's kicks without tries.

We Won!?!?!? Not quite sure how we pulled that off! The difference in the end was goal-kicking.

The difference was I was there yelling "miss it!!!" When Taylor went for goal!

I'll try get a video up later today, but basically, there was a ruck just short of the Highlander's goal-line, and a defender right on the goal line. A Hurricanes player not bound to the ruck and ahead of his team's hindmost foot (so that's offside right there anyway) grabbed and pushed the Highlander's defender away, and Perenara "scored" right where the defender would have been. This is clear obstruction IMO.

What we saw last night looked for all the world like the last part of an NFL play called "counter gap" (made famous by the 1987 Redskins). Anyone who follows NFL will likely know what I mean.

As far as cleaning out goes, players arriving at the breakdown are entitled to take out jacklers and other players near the ball, and drive them past the breakdown. What they are NOT allowed to do, is run past the breakdown and take out players in the defensive line that are already behind the breakdown.

ETA: Ok here it is

[video=dailymotion;x1v7cfn]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1v7cfn_perenara-disallowed-try_sport[/video]

For those who believe Gold 16 was part of the ruck because he had a hand on another Gold player...

[TEXTAREA]GENERAL DEFINITIONS
Binding: Grasping firmly another player’s body between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]
Law 16.2 (c) Placing a hand on another player in the ruck does not constitute binding.[/TEXTAREA]

Last edited:

Latest posts