• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Crusaders (Round 15)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140520034312380140.png

1. Kane Hames
2. Ged Robinson
3. Chris King
4. Jarrad Hoeata
5. Joe Wheeler
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Shane Christie
8. Nasi Manu
9. Aaron Smith
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Patrick Osborne
12. Shaun Treeby
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Richard Buckman
15. Ben Smith
140520034307576894.png

140520034310751960.png

1. Tim Perry
2. Ben Funnell
3. Nepo Laulala
4. Dominic Bird
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Jordan Taufua
7. Richie McCaw
8. Luke Whitelock
9. Andy Ellis
10. Colin Slade
11. Nemani Nadolo
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Tom Taylor
14. Johnny McNicholl
15. Israel Dagg

Last edited:
Barracuda.... Barracuda.....

In other news the two sides have been named.

Crusaders:
Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Taylor, Ryan Crotty (c), Nemani Nadolo, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Luke Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Jordan Taufua, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Tim Perry. Reserves: Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Jimmy Tupou, George Whitelock, Willi Heinz, Adam Whitelock, Nafi Tuitavake.

Highlanders:
Ben Smith (co-captain), Richard Buckman, Malakai Fekitoa, Shaun Treeby, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu (co-captain), Shane Christie, Elliot Dixon, Joe Wheeler, Jarrad Hoeata, Chris King, Liam Coltman, Kane Hames. Reserves: Sam Anderson-Heather, Matias Diaz, Ma'afu Fia, Tom Franklin, Gareth Evans, Fumiaki Tanaka, Hayden Parker, Phil Burleigh

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barracuda.... Barracuda.....
Highlanders:
Ben Smith (co-captain), Richard Buckman, Malakai Fekitoa, Shaun Treeby, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu (co-captain), Shane Christie, Elliot Dixon, Joe Wheeler, Jarrad Hoeata, Chris King, Liam Coltman, Kane Hames. Reserves: Sam Anderson-Heather, Matias Diaz, Ma'afu Fia, Tom Franklin, Gareth Evans, Fumiaki Tanaka, Hayden Parker, Phil Burleigh

Discuss.

http://www.superxv.com/42617/1/sopoaga-back-for-highlanders-clash-with-crusaders#.U33iNfmSwXs

Highlanders
1 . Kane Hames , 2 . Ged Robinson , 3 . Chris King , 4 . Jarrad Hoeata , 5 . Joe Wheeler , 6 . Elliot Dixon , 7 . Shane Christie , 8 . Nasi Manu (co.captain) , 9 . Aaron Smith , 10 . Lima Sopoaga , 11 . Patrick Osborne , 12 . Shaun Treeby , 13 . Malakai Fekitoa , 14 . Richard Buckman , 15 . Ben Smith (co.captain)
Replacements : 16 . Sam Anderson.Heather , 17 . Matias Diaz , 18 . Ma'afu Fia , 19 . Tom Franklin , 20 . Gareth Evans , 21 . Fumiaki Tanaka , 22 . Hayden Parker , 23 . Phil Burleigh

Which source is telling fithy lies then?!!??

Possibly mine; I've been had too many times this year now with silly Fantasy rugby errors!!

Last edited:
I saw Ged listed on the highlanders facebook page, said Coltman had a sore calf or something, good to see Sam getting a run (good Dunedin RFC boy!)

I actually don't mind burliegh as a player...but i would rather start him than have him on the bench, Parker can only play one position (all be it very well) so 23 really needs to be a full utility...which burliegh is not. I thought baker was back this week too, would rather have him knowing smith could move to 12 if need be...or emery, i his first choice is int he midfield and i think we acquitted himself really well on the wing for the last couple of games...

Your source is correct. Coltman is out with a calf injury.

EDIT: Jabby beat me to it.....

Kind of funny that Coltman was the one who injured Barrett, but a week later it's Coltman who's not playing...

Massive game for both sides. I can't wait (but due to my inability to manipulate time I have little option but to wait). The Highlanders have had a strong season so far, but there has always been this nagging suspicion that they won't be able to keep it up, and their position on the table has been inflated somewhat by having all of their easy games at the start of the season. A win over the Crusaders here would go some what to dispel those doubts (though the matches don't really get any easier). In contrast the Crusaders started very slowly, but looked to be hitting top form before last weeks pathetic display against the Sharks.

Overall not a bad Highlanders side. It is good to see Sopoaga back, but Parker did a fine job in his absence (as I suspected he would :)), and it was nice to have a 10 that could make the odd tackle! Disappointing to see Coltman out, but Robinson will do a good job, as will Anderson Heather if he gets a chance off the bench. I would still prefer to see Franklin starting rather than Hoeata, but at least he is now on the bench (it only took two injuries...), and likewise I would prefer Evans over Dixon at 6. It is good to see Treeby back at 12, and Osbourne back on the wing. I'm always nervous about our defense with Osbourne on the wing, but he bring a whole new dimension to our backline with his size, pace, power, and offloading ability. I'm happy with the 4/3 split on the bench, but agree entirely with Jabby that either Emery or Baker would be a far better bench option than Burleigh....

A whole new front row for the Crusaders. It is a slight risk, but the Highlanders don't have a very destructive scrum, and it should send a message to Crockett, Flynn, and Franks that they need to lift their games. The rest of the side is very strong - I think the backline will function a lot better with Dagg back this week.

I think the Crusaders should start this game as clear favourites. The Highlanders usually struggle to beat the Crusaders, and I feel it will take a massive effort to reverse this trend, as the Crusaders look to have the edge in most areas. I'm picking the Crusaders by about 10, but am hoping some Ben Smith magic will help the Highlanders pull off the upset....

Forward pass. Should be no try.... hopefully...

EDIT: TMO gets it right. Good boy....

EDIT 2: TRY... and AGAIN! The 2nd involved some brilliant play by Fekitoa, Smith, and Osbourne....

Last edited:
Like seriously what are the Crusaders thinking putting Taylor up to defend against Fekitoa? Thats just setting him up to fail miserably imo.

Like seriously what are the Crusaders thinking putting Taylor up to defend against Fekitoa? Thats just setting him up to fail miserably imo.

He's not the one missing the tackles though - he's actually beating Crotty on the outside (who is usually a very strong defender...). Fekitoa has been seriously impressive so far....

He's not the one missing the tackles though - he's actually beating Crotty on the outside (who is usually a very strong defender...). Fekitoa has been seriously impressive so far....

It doesnt matter who they put against him really he's going to beat them. But Taylor at centre.... really? Are they that devoid of a useful centre....

It doesnt matter who they put against him really he's going to beat them. But Taylor at centre.... really? Are they that devoid of a useful centre....

Though I'm not convinced about Taylor at 13, he's actually been one of the better Crusaders players this match in my opinion. He's made all his tackles as far as I can see, and has looked pretty sharp with ball in hand....

None of the Crusaders midfield options have really impressed this season apart from Crotty & Fonotia (who is currently injured) - Lee Lo has been disappointing, and Taylor has been ineffective in the midfield (apart from this match). Their only other option is Adam Whitelock....

Anyways, half-time. Happy to see the Highlanders with a lead. I've been very happy to see Sopoaga defending up in the line and making a pile of tackles - when he wants to tackle he is actually a pretty handy defender! Fekitoa, Osbourne and Robinson have been the pick of the Highlanders for me. I know it won't happen but Ged Robinson wouldn't look out of place in the AB's. He isn't as dynamic as many of the other options, but has plenty of experience, makes piles of tackles, and can throw the ball in straight.....

Nadolo, Taylor, and Sam Whitelock have been the pick of the Crusaders for me.

Should be an interesting 2nd half...

Short of their forwards the Crusaders are going to be a total waste of space in the finals I hope like hell the HL beat them!

I'm a bit piissed off about the McCaw yellow card because at the tackle before that, two Highlanders forwards came in from the side and flopped over on the wrong side and into the Crusaders in goal, and were immediately joined by a third doing the same thing, thereby killing any chance of jackler getting to the ball, or a counter ruck happening when the ruck formed. That is what should have been penalised

Crusaders strike straight after the break. Nadolo again breaking the line. He still has some flaws, but he adds some real firepower to that Crusaders backline.

EDIT: And another Crusaders try.....

EDIT 2: Ben Smith with a spectacular (if not rather risky) play! He's also forced two Crusaders knock-on's in the last couple of minutes with some sneaky tackles from behind :)

Last edited:
Good work by Dagg there to set up Nadolo's try. The Crusaders just need to keep giving the ball to Nadolo. He has been epic tonight!

Highlanders strike back. Fantastic pass by Aaron Smith! Fekitoa is pretty good too....

Fekitoa has to be in the Ranger league of just totally dangerous whenever he gets the ball. Its like Ranger WHO!?? Not even going to miss him this year with this guy.

And a Nonu, Fekitoa midfield.... WOW.

Latest posts