• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Highlanders (Round 3)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Super_Rugby_LOGO.jpg

Round 3 - Hamilton
Waikato Stadium
Saturday 01/03/14 at 7:35PM

2014chiefs_front-350x350.png
Versus%20Super.png
2014highlanders_front-350x350.png

CHIEFS:
Mils Muliaina, Tim Nanai-Williams, Robbie Fruean, Charlie Ngatai, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Nick Crosswell, Matt Symons, Mike Fitzgerald, Ben Tameifuna, Mahonri Schwalger, Pauliasi Manu. Reserves: Rhys Marshall, Jamie Mackintosh, Josh Hohneck, Tevita Koloamatangi, Liam Squire, Brad Weber, Andrew Horrell, James Lowe.

HIGHLANDERS:
Ben Smith, Richard Buckman, Winston Stanley, Shaun Treeby, Malakai Fekitoa, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu, John Hardie, Gareth Evans, Joe Wheeler, Jarrad Hoeata, Chris King, Liam Coltman, Kane Hames. Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Matias Diaz, Craig Millar, Josh Bekhuis, Shane Christie, Fumiaki Tanaka, Trent Renata, Phil Burleigh.​

Last edited:
Thankfully Muliaina won't need surgery on his elbow, but he's still likely to be out for a fair amount of time.

Further to that, Kerr-Barlow, Pulu, Retallick and Afeaki will possibly be unavailable for this match. Latimer may well be available, but is still only 50/50 at best. Squire is now fit and able to be selected.

Schwalger, Thompson and Cane are likely to be back in time for the match against the Stormers in round 5 (both the Chiefs and the Highlanders have a bye next week). Robinson and Tom Marshall do not really have set dates yet for their returns.

We'll probably see a Chiefs squad of: Nanai-Williams, Lowe, Fruean, Ngatai, Tikoirotuma, Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Kolomatagi, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Lienert-Brown, Horrell, Pulu, Crosswell, Symons, Afeaki, Mackintosh, Harris.

On the Highlanders side of the ledger, Thorn is out for four weeks, which will likely result in him missing two to three games. We'll probably see Bekhuis slot straight in to replace him, with Franklin coming into the reserves. I'm sure Joseph will want to reward the team for a pretty good effort against the Blues, so barring injury I don't think we'll see any other changes to the starting side. Dixon may well be available, but is more likely to slip onto the bench in place of Ioane.

Now that's a deep Squad :) Love the Chiefs! Would be happy to see Lowe get a start on the wing!! And also maybe Squire a start too! Good pick ups by Rennie IMHO, both of them!

What's the status of Matt Vant Leven? Obviously not in the Chiefs squad this year...I remember him requiring surgery and being out for most of the ITM cup, but can't recall what his latest is. I thought he seemed a decent player.

Now that's a deep Squad :) Love the Chiefs! Would be happy to see Lowe get a start on the wing!! And also maybe Squire a start too! Good pick ups by Rennie IMHO, both of them!

What's the status of Matt Vant Leven? Obviously not in the Chiefs squad this year...I remember him requiring surgery and being out for most of the ITM cup, but can't recall what his latest is. I thought he seemed a decent player.

Vant Leven actually signed to play in Japan, so he's not part of the squad at all this year.

News out now is that Muliaina has indeed had surgery... Curious.

no idea what highlanders team we'll see, Joseph might actually swap a couple of people as i can't see anyone thinking this was one we're expected to win, maybe see people like baker, emery and hardie?

Last edited:
And Dave Rennie has now reiterated that Muliaina won't be having surgery and could actually play this weekend against the Highlanders :p

In other news, Buckman has been officially added to the main Highlanders squad with Popoali'i being ruled out for the season.

no idea what highlanders team we'll see, Joseph might actually swap a couple of people as i can't see anyone thinking this was one we're expected to win, maybe see people like baker, emery and hardie?

I hope we don't make any changes (apart from replacing the injured Thorn). We should reward the side the performed versus the Blues - there is plenty of time for changes when we start losing later in the season!

Landers can beat Chiefs? They have had a good performance in the first half against Blues, but Blues aren't a tough opponent at the moment. So...

This game had the best 3 minuets of rugby last season, more of the same please.

Looks like big Pat Osbourne will miss the match this weekend with an ankle injury. He is a loss, as he is one of our most dangerous backs. Hopefully it means that Kurt Baker will slot onto the wing, but knowing Jamie Joseph he will probably do something bizarre like play Phil Burleigh on the wing again (or maybe Emery).

my money is on burliegh, he came on at full back against the blues

baker deserves a shot

What? Landers made ​​a good performance in the first half against Blues? Or that Blues isn't a tough opponent?

You seemed to be responding to someone claiming we would beat the chiefs, I was just asking who had said that

You seemed to be responding to someone claiming we would beat the chiefs, I was just asking who had said that

I just asked if the Landers can beat the Chiefs

Cheers

im going to back the cheifs they look like they have great team chemistry and seem to be able to win close games. But if Aaron and Ben Smith Turn it on like they did against the blues they are capable of defeating any team.

I read mills will require surgery but it can wait till after the season has finished. And that he should be available this weekend.

Where is anscombe? not heard how far away he is. Robinson?

Crazy the injuries, such a balanced squad though and the two most important guys are still standing.

Chiefs:
Mils Muliaina, Tim Nanai-Williams, Robbie Fruean, Charlie Ngatai, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden (c), Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Nick Crosswell, Matt Symons, Mike Fitzgerald, Ben Tameifuna, Mahonri Schwalger, Pauliasi Manu.
Res: Rhys Marshall, Jamie Mackintosh, Josh Hohneck, Tevita Koloamatangi, Liam Squire, Brad Weber, Andrew Horrell, James Lowe.

Few big names back in the mix, Mo Schwalger, TKB, Latimer

Mils starts again. hope his elbow holds up.
mackintosh benched, manu promoted.
Going to miss Retalick, will look to symons to play a similar role (basically be everywhere at once).
hard to believe even with all the players with injury Horrell is still stuck on the bench. I still think maybe he should be starting somehow but its also true he can play an important role as an impact player/finisher from the bench.
pulu man he was good last week, he seems to be starting to mature. I honestly think hes just as good as TNW now, he will be missed but hopefully TNW is fit and ready.

Latest posts