• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Highlanders (Round 3)

Cool to see Webber on the bench against his old team huh! I saw him for Waikato this last ITM cup and thought he looked very exciting. I'm reading conflicting reports of last week's team. Did he play last week? or is this his debut??

Cool to see Webber on the bench against his old team huh! I saw him for Waikato this last ITM cup and thought he looked very exciting. I'm reading conflicting reports of last week's team. Did he play last week? or is this his debut??

I'm not sure that I would call the Highlanders his old team as he never played for them. He only played a couple of games (off the bench) for Otago. He made his debut last weekend, replacing Pulu with about 5 mins to go (he was only called onto the bench at the last minute after Kerr-Barlow pulled out with injury). Weber is electric with ball in hand, but his lack of size is always going to be an issue.

The Chiefs backline looks very dangerous, but the pack does look rather patched together. The front-row looks stronger with Schwalger back and Manu starting, but the tight-five loses a lot with Retallick ruled out. Symons has a big work-rate and does look talented, but is a complete rookie at this level. Getting Latimer back is a big bonus for the Chiefs, but I'm not sure about playing Messam at 8. I feel Messam plays so much better at 6 rather than at 8 these days - when at 6 he seems focused on doing the tight-work required, but whenever he shifts to 8 he seems to revert to the Messam of old..... Personally I would have keep Messam at 6 and started Squire at 8.

I expect the Highlanders side will be named this afternoon/evening....

Last edited:
Im picking this game could be a bit of a banana peal for the Chiefs. Highlanders at home looking a bit more organised than last year... they could deff get this one off them...... or the Chiefs will just blow them off the park... I still cant believe they lost Richard Kahui and managed to replace him with what looks like a Jonah Lomu like Robbie Fruen.

Highlanders: 1.Kane Hames, 2.Liam Coltman, 3.Chris King, 4.Jarrad Hoeata, 5.Joe Wheeler, 6.Gareth Evans, 7.John Hardie, 8.Nasi Manu (co-captain), 9.Aaron Smith, 10.Lima Sopoaga, 11.Malakai Fekitoa, 12.Shaun Treeby, 13.Winston Stanley, 14.Richard Buckman, 15.Ben Smith (co-captain). Reserves: 16.Brayden Mitchell, 17.Matias Diaz, 18.Craig Millar, 19.Josh Bekhuis, 20.Shane Christie, 21.Fumiaki Tanaka, 22.Trent Renata, 23.Phil Burleigh.

Pretty disappointed to see wheeler, I think Franklin is much exciting and bekhuis has been on the border of an AB call up for years....just don't get it

And what does baker have to do to get in the 22?

Pretty disappointed to see wheeler, I think Franklin is much exciting and bekhuis has been on the border of an AB call up for years....just don't get it

And what does baker have to do to get in the 22?

Hmm... unfourtunately I have to agree re: Wheeler. I actually don't mind him as a player, and I feel injuries have meant we probably haven't seen the best of him. However he is by far the least physical of the Highlanders locking options, and I felt physicality was the key to our success last weekend. He will add mobilty to the pack, and he will hopefully improve our lineout (as he is our best jumper), but I would still be a bit happier with either Bekhuis or Franklin.

I'm happy with the rest of the forward pack. I expect to see us swap 7s quite a bit during the season as there is not a lot between them, and it will help keep them both fresh.

As for the change in the backline... hmmm. What has Kurt Baker done to Jamie Joseph? We now have centres on either wing - if the Chiefs wings get any space we will be in trouble. In addition we have another midfield back on the bench. Though Stanley is a solid player, but I would have preferred Emery. A bit of a strange decision to put Renata on the bench ahead of Parker. Obviously they wanted fullback cover on the bench - if only we had a fullback/wing in our main squad who could do that job :banghead:

Good start by the Highlanders. Defense looking solid thus far.

EDIT: No so good now - easy (but well worked) try for Nanai-Williams. Perhaps if we had actually picked a winger we would have someone defending out there?

Last edited:
Chiefs looking very confident with their silky skills. This could be dangerous for the Landers

Joe Wheeler has looked pretty good so far in this game.... Aaron Smith average. I thought the highlanders were at home.... obviously not.

Oh no, spoke too soon. The Landers are in no danger. They're up there in this game.

I'm not a fan of this referee, he's making a number of errors...

Agreed. Messam has been very good too - he looks bigger than usual for some reason?

Probably still doing heavy weights (strength work) later in the preseason which is unusual but possible.

Wow visions of last year there HL slogging it out on attack and the Chiefs almost break out... I was like that is so not fair but they didnt score ; ) Highlanders are well in this so far just dont let them get any cheap tries FFS.

Yes HL score!

YESS!! Try to Hardie. Excellent rolling maul - not something you often see from NZ teams these days....

Chiefs are cheating like buggery if you ask me.

Every side that plays the Highlanders cheats the whole game if you ask me.....

Sopoaga looking very sharp this week - good to see.

Latest posts