• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Crusaders (Round 10)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Chiefs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

This is going to be a cracker!

Unfortunately I have a birthday to attend so I'm going to have to record it, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'd imagine the Crusaders side will have few changes to the team which beat the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein, perhaps Heinz will swap to the bench in place of Ellis, but otherwise the team is quite settled, except for maybe in the tight five.

The Chiefs side is also unlikely to have many changes, perhaps for the first time this season we'll see fewer than five! There might be a bit of movement on the bench, with Schwalger potentially back in action and Squire fit once more. I don't think Muliaina is working on the wing, but given the inexperience of Lienert-Brown and Payne I don't think there'll be any changes to the backline other than maybe Kerr-Barlow coming in for Pulu. If Retallick is ruled out with concussion then Symons will likely come into the pack, though as it stands I think Fitzgerald is definitely the second best lock in the squad.

I think this could well be the game where Rhys Marshall steps up and shows that he has the potential to be an All Black. He looked good in the open against the Rebels and made 12 tackles, second only to Cane's 18. Hopefully he has a big game in him!

Predicted Chiefs lineup: Marshall, Nanai-Williams, Horrell, Aki, Muliaina, Anscombe, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Cane, Messam, Symons, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Harris/Schwalger, Mackintosh, Hohneck, Thompson, Latimer, Pulu, Lienert-Brown, Payne.

I heard that Retallick passed his concussion test and provided he comes through contact training OK he will start.

Yeah this will be our biggest test of the season so far, I made my picks for this round on Sun and it is the 1st time I have picked against the Chiefs so for, I always revisit my picks once the teams are named so it may change.

I will miss it also as we away for easter with family, so will be Tuesday before I get a chance to watch it, unless they have a decent internet plan and I can you-tube it on Sunday.

Chiefs team announced: Marshall, Nanai-Williams, Horrell, Aki, Tikoirotuma, Anscombe, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Harris/Schwalger, Mackintosh, Hohneck, Symons, Cane, Pulu, Lienert-Brown, Payne.

Only changes to the team I predicted come due to the fact that Retallick and Tikoirotuma are fit, and I forgot it was going to be Latimer's 100th for the Chiefs!

Chiefs team announced: Marshall, Nanai-Williams, Horrell, Aki, Tikoirotuma, Anscombe, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Harris/Schwalger, Mackintosh, Hohneck, Symons, Cane, Pulu, Lienert-Brown, Payne.

Only changes to the team I predicted come due to the fact that Retallick and Tikoirotuma are fit, and I forgot it was going to be Latimer's 100th for the Chiefs!

And Crusaders

Crusaders: Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Taylor, Ryan Crotty, Nemani Nadolo, Colin Slade, Willi Heinz, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, Jordan Taufua, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Jimmy Tupou, Luke Whitelock, Andy Ellis, Tyler Bleyendaal, Adam Whitelock

Heinz, Taufua and Franks the three changes.

<!--end of components/story/publication_source--><!--end of components/story_body_manipulated--><!--start of components/ad/story_footer-->

Wicked Tikoirotuma is fit, last I heard was 4-6 weeks, huge bonus for us as he is devastating, now we just need to give him ball.

Latimer to become the 2nd player to play the 100, huge props for him, lets give him another rolling maul try for his 100th Chiefs game.

Interesting no Mils in the team, and the rookie winger for such a big game, is he injured?

Should be a good game. Not surprised to see the Crusaders starting Heinz again at halfback (as they like to give both plenty of game-time), but given the form Ellis is in surely it would make sense to start him in such an important match. Happy to see Taufua starting at 6, as I think he will give the Crusaders pack the direct ball running option they lack. Interesting to see Taylor starting at 13 (rather than 12, with Crotty starting at 13) - I actually quite like the move, as it allows Crotty to stay at 12 where he is at his most effective IMO.

Meanwhile the Chiefs rotate half their side again. I'm not a fan of this much rotation, but it looks like they have close to the strongest starting they could put out this week (considering all their injuries). I like the back three, but I'm not sure about the midfield combination. I'm not convinced Horrell is a 13 (though to be fair neither is Taylor), and I think they are really missing Ngatai (and Fruean). The halfback situation at the Chiefs seems similar to that at the Crusaders so no surprise to see a change in halfback again. I haven't been convinced with either halfback so far this year - they are both incredibly talented players, but I feel both have been running themselves far too often. A running game is vital for a good halfback, but it doesn't hurt to pass the ball to your backline occasionally! Good to see Squire back, as I thought Thomson was completely anonymous at 8. I think Squire needs to be starting at 8 every week for the Chiefs as he offers another dimension to the Chiefs attack with his pace and wide running game (though he will probably only play 40-50 mins this weeks, with Cane coming off the bench early in the 2nd half).

I think it will be a pretty close match, but I'm picking the Crusaders to take the win. They have started to show a few signs of form in South Africa, and they are more than due to win a tight game against the Chiefs! The key match-ups for me are Crockett vs Tameifuna (Tameifuna has normally caused Crockett a lot of trouble at scrum time), Whitelock vs Retallick (NZ's best two lock by a huge margin), Slade vs Anscombe, and Nadolo vs Nanai-Williams (I think Nanai-Williams may struggle to bring Nadolo down, but Nadolo will be lucky to get a hand on Nanai-Williams if he gets some space).

Is it just me or have all the chiefs line out throws been crooked

Finally a try but suspect defence by the crusaders. I ve always believed that Dagg is not the best defender. Even his attacking prowess is not what it used to be.

Huge momentum shift with the yellow and Read's injury Crusaders are really going to have to fight their way back into this one.

Only started watching 15 mins ago - the Crusaders were leading 9-3. The Chiefs have looked completely on top over the last 15 mins, and look to deserve their 17-9 halftime lead. One thing is certain with the Crusaders - if you break the first line of defense you are almost guaranteed a try, as Dagg isn't going to stop you!

Finally a try but suspect defence by the crusaders. I ve always believed that Dagg is not the best defender. Even his attacking prowess is not what it used to be.

Dagg's been very average for a long long time on D. Whats crazy to me is he doesnt even seem to get told to atleast get his body in front of these guys to atleast slow them down as it seem to me there is nearly always somebody else there that actually does make the tackle from behind but by that time the try scorers are pretty much close enough to touch down.

Honestly if I was Hansen I would drop Dagg for this season to give him a wake up call as to me honestly I just find him a very lazy player (if he's playing like this next year god help us). His style is Lazy his tackling is Lazy just everything about him is Lazy to me.

IF he was playing to his potential he'd give Ben Smith a run but he's been nowhere near it for years now.

Back to the game: For me the Crusaders dominated again from the start of the match but Chiefs came back into it well at the end of the first half. Again once Read went off that seem to of made a massive difference.

Chiefs just have a better will to win for some reason.

Yep, If Dagg was playing to his potential he would almost be as good as Ben Smith. He hasn't played near his potential for several years though. At the moment he is barely good enough to be playing Super Rugby.....

Anyways... the Crusaders need to get Andy Ellis on ASAP....

EDIT: Ellis on now. The Crusaders have a chance now!

Last edited:
The way Dagg jus got smashed in that counter attack is a pretty good summary of how he's playing. Few years back you would have backed him to step the tackler easily.

Wow huge kick coming up! Anescomb's been rubbish id still take Slade all year as 4th flyhalf for AB's.

What I want to know is why do they not call the Crusaders lineouts not straight? couple were blatant not straight.

Every time the Chiefs play the Crusaders they are on the short end of the stick with the refs.

Latest posts