• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Blues vs Reds (Round 12)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140429070522217091.png

15 Charles Piutau
14 Frank Halai
13 Francis Saili
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 Lolagi Visinia
10 Simon Hickey
9 Bryn Hall
8 Jerome Kaino
7 Brendon O'Connor
6 Peter Saili
5 Tom Donnelly
4 Patrick Tuipulotu
3 Charlie Faumuina
2 Keven Mealamu (c)
1 Tony Woodcock

140429070532508118.png

14042907053047324.png

1. James Slipper
2. Saia Faingaa
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Rod Davies
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Mike Harris

Last edited:
Luatua still out...Interesting!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9992670/Blues-make-one-change-for-Reds-clash

Blues: Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, Francis Saili, Ma'a Nonu, Lolagi Visinia, Simon Hickey, Bryn Hall, Jerome Kaino, Brendon O'Connor, Peter Saili, Tom Donnelly, Patrick Tuipulotu, Charlie Faumuina, Keven Mealamu (c), Tony Woodcock. Reserves: James Parsons, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Angus Ta'avao, Hayden Triggs, Steven Luatua, Piri Weepu, Ihaia West, George Moala.

To start with I thought, Ok, thats fine, Kaino was OUTSTANDING last week so I can understand keeping him at 6 ... but he's playing 8 and Peter Saili is playing 6??? Are you really telling me he thinks Peter Saili is a better 6 at the minute than Luatua??? I'm sorry I just don't get that decision.

No arguments over the rest, although I would still like to see Moala after a weeks rest get a run out in place of Halai in the starting XV. Also wish there was a place for Ahki on the bench, he's got great promise, still happy to see the Nonu / Saili combination get their first back to back games.

The Reds team as per Australia's Fox Sports website - http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...oves-to-fullback/story-e6frf4qu-1226900658619

Queensland Reds team:
1. James Slipper
2. Saia Faingaa
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Rod Davies
12. Anthony Faingaa
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Mike Harris
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Jono Owen
19. Ed O'Donoghue
20. Beau Robinson
21. Nick Frisby
22. Ben Lucas
23. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

Good for the Reds that Genia is fit to play, and that Liam gill is back

Think the Blues may have the edge here, surprised the Luatua is on the bench and not starting, nice to see Weepu is fit enough to get on the bench, must mean his health is better.

Both teams looking strong and should be a great start to the weekend of rugby.

francis saili is in doubt after limping off at training. big blow if he goes! it would be highly annoying if willison starts, hes a solid player who performs his role, but the blues need x factor in that center role. he also had that awful defensive blunder against the hurricanes letting leauia in untouched. would rather have either moala or ahki starting. however moala also makes a few errors on d...

not to unhappy about luatua on the bench, pete saili and kaino especially both performed well last week managing to get the upper hand on a big powerful waratahs pack. theres no doubt luatuas suffering from a mild case of second season syndrome but theres no doubt in my mind he will be back to world class form in no time. his benching will assist with this i personally believe

Last edited:
theres no doubt luatuas suffering from a mild case of second season syndrome but theres no doubt in my mind he will be back to world class form in no time. his benching will assist with this i personally believe

Yeah its a strange thing the bench, with young players it tends to make them sit up and take notice and makes them hungrier, when you bench older players who are more established it tends to have more of an effect on their confidence than the younger players and generates more resentment in them then it would in the younger guys.

francis saili is in doubt after limping off at training. big blow if he goes! it would be highly annoying if willison starts, hes a solid player who performs his role, but the blues need x factor in that center role. he also had that awful defensive blunder against the hurricanes letting leauia in untouched. would rather have either moala or ahki starting. however moala also makes a few errors on d...

not to unhappy about luatua on the bench, pete saili and kaino especially both performed well last week managing to get the upper hand on a big powerful waratahs pack. theres no doubt luatuas suffering from a mild case of second season syndrome but theres no doubt in my mind he will be back to world class form in no time. his benching will assist with this i personally believe

Willison is starting. Its the safe move ... but I would have put Pita Ahki in.

The Blues will miss Luke Braid this week. O'Connor will make his tackles and compete at the breakdown, but he doesn't have the running game that Braid does. I'm not really sure about leaving Luatua out again either. He hasn't been outstanding, but he was starting to show some form IMO. Interesting to see Kaino at 8 again too. He switched to 8 half way through last weeks game too (and looked comfortable there) - I do wonder whether the AB's selectors may have something to do with this....

I'm picking the Blues to win this match. They certainly aren't a complete side but they have more than enough firepower in the backs, and the Reds looked clueless last week against the Canes.

The Blues will miss Luke Braid this week. O'Connor will make his tackles and compete at the breakdown, but he doesn't have the running game that Braid does. I'm not really sure about leaving Luatua out again either. He hasn't been outstanding, but he was starting to show some form IMO. Interesting to see Kaino at 8 again too. He switched to 8 half way through last weeks game too (and looked comfortable there) - I do wonder whether the AB's selectors may have something to do with this....

I'm picking the Blues to win this match. They certainly aren't a complete side but they have more than enough firepower in the backs, and the Reds looked clueless last week against the Canes.

Maybe Gill might have the edge over O'Connor at the breakdown then ... Luatua must have been close to a start over Peter Saili ... I though he was in doubt due to injury, earlier in the week.

Maybe Gill might have the edge over O'Connor at the breakdown then ... Luatua must have been close to a start over Peter Saili ... I though he was in doubt due to injury, earlier in the week.

True - I didn't notice that Gill was back. He will make a big impact for the Reds - he's the best pure pilferer in world rugby in my opinion. I'll still pick the Blues to win, but it might be a bit closer than I first though (maybe around 5 points...).

I see Ihaia West is on the reserve bench again ... is Noakes injured or are they pissie at him for signing with London Irish?

London Irish must be desperate, sorry but I rated him and yes give West a go, for the future

London Irish must be desperate, sorry but I rated him and yes give West a go, for the future

I'm not really a big fan of Noakes, and I think West could be a great option late in the game when more gaps appear, but I was just curious about Noakes

He's signed with Irish ... Wow

if that's the case then I would definatley not involve him the season unless injury requires it. You should always be looking to the future and its not like he's Dan Carter!

Still don't agree with the Luatua benching. Understand the argument of motivation, but even in current form he has more to his game than Peter Saili

He's signed with Irish ... Wow

if that's the case then I would definatley not involve him the season unless injury requires it. You should always be looking to the future and its not like he's Dan Carter!

Still don't agree with the Luatua benching. Understand the argument of motivation, but even in current form he has more to his game than Peter Saili

The BBC seem to think so ... better watch out, he's eligible for England http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/27204317

Last edited:
Well worked try for Willison (looks like he's hurt himself though).

Blues looking pretty good so far, though it has helped that Cooper is missing kicks!

... pretty dumb, late, dangerous tackle by Slipper ... deserves the yellow card

Latest posts