• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] New Zealand vs South Africa in Auckland (14/09/2013)

well seems Messam has copped a barrage on tritter, people in this thread say they have lost respect for the All Blacks because of this... I dont know how bad it is, I can understand springbok supporters being a bit upset at the ref. Though it did distract from the contest I don't think anyone can say it cost the boks the match as the ABs in general were the better team and looked in control the whole time regardless of numbers. And its certianly not their fault the boks had a player sent off.

Thanks mate. I'm still confused though, what is that people think Messam or the ABs did to lose respect?

I like refs that do their job properly.

Craig Joubert, George Clancy, Allain Rolland, Glen Jackson, Chris Pollock... to name a few that I really appreciate and like.

But yet all thos refs have been in controversy of there own!

the ref made a mistake and gave an incorrect yellow card, but BDP only has himself to blame for the 2nd yellow and red card.

At lower grass-roots levels (club/schoolboy rugby etc), if I saw any player do what BDP did to Messam, its a straight red! At elite level, yellow is probably enough.

We had a young guy in our local competition some time back who insisted on fending with his forearm/elbow to the face of opponents. First game of the season he was warned twice by the referee that he will get himself sent off if he makes serious contact with an opponent's head. He ignored the warning and a few minutes later, sure enough, he elbowed a player in the face and broke his nose. Red card + two weeks.

A few minutes into his first game back, he did it again. Red card and four weeks. First game back after that was fine, but the next game, you guessed it, he did it again and cracked the tackler's cheekbone. Red card and banned for the rest of that season. Some people just don't learn.

Last edited:
But yet all thos refs have been in controversy of there own!

- According to Welsh fans, Alain Rolland shouldn't be refereeing any more.
- According to NZ fans, Wayne Barnes shouldn't be refereeing any more.
- According to French fans, Craig Joubert shouldn't be refereeing any more.
- According to Saffa fans, Romain Poite shouldn't be refereeing any more.

-According to everybody, Steve Walsh should referee every match, the handsome devil.

At lower grass-roots levels (club/schoolboy rugby etc), if I saw any player do what BDP did to Messam, its a straight red! At elite level, yellow is probably enough.

We had a young guy in our local competition some time back who insisted on fending with his forearm/elbow to the face of opponents. First game of the season he was warned twice by the referee that he will get himself sent off if he makes serious contact with an opponent's head. He ignored the warning and a few minutes later, sure enough, he elbowed a player in the face and broke his nose. Red card + two weeks.

A few minutes into his first game back, he did it again. Red card and four weeks. First game back after that was fine, but the next game, you guessed it, he did it again and cracked the tackler's cheekbone. Red card and banned for the rest of that season. Some people just don't learn.

yeah as i was hinting to, its a high end yellow. I look at what kane Barrett did to get a red in super rugby or other reds we have see in super rugby. The BDP elbow was on a par or even worse than some of those examples.

its not a standard penalty yellow for slowing ball down or being off side in the danger zone, its for a deliberate action that caused injury and the potential to cause serious injury - I dont know the rules like you cooky but that put it in consideration for Red by itself in my view.

Last edited:
Mark_Lawrence1.jpg

dat hair

For our South African posters... enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
This article has been making the rounds...

http://www.thebounce.co.za/2013/09/17/all-blacks-the-bullies-who-always-cry-about-being-bullied/

Oh I can now just see the outcry from the All Black supporters... He does make a valid point though...

Gregor Paul is an efing numpty who gets most of his information by interviewing his keyboard. Most of what he writes is what you would call "kak".

Please don't take his views as being indicative of the opinions and attitudes of kiwi rugby fans in general.

Gregor Paul is an efing numpty who gets most of his information by interviewing his keyboard. Most of what he writes is what you would call "kak".

Please don't take his views as being indicative of the opinions and attitudes of kiwi rugby fans in general.

I Don't... I have actually read a few of his posts before and thought, what a bloody idiot!!

But, it's articles like these that just adds fuel to the fire...

Firstly, let me preface what I'm about to say, by saying that I think Bismarck is having a stellar season, and is in great form ... however ...

... Once the first mistake was made by the ref, given that Bismarck plays a hard, physical game, that could attract further yellow cards, why didn't the Springbok coaching staff sub him for Strauss?

Firstly, let me preface what I'm about to say, by saying that I think Bismarck is having a stellar season, and is in great form ... however ...

... Once the first mistake was made by the ref, given that Bismarck plays a hard, physical game, that could attract further yellow cards, why didn't the Springbok coaching staff sub him for Strauss?

You can't think that way as a coaching staff. You can't take off a hugely influential, impactful player just because he risks a yellow. Maybe if he was obviously looking like it or was being provoked you could argue the case but that wasn't happening.

You can't think that way as a coaching staff. You can't take off a hugely influential, impactful player just because he risks a yellow. Maybe if he was obviously looking like it or was being provoked you could argue the case but that wasn't happening.

I disagree, if there's a good chance that your player (regardless of how good they are), are going to leave your team a player short for most of the match (and it's foreseeable), they should be considering it ... Strauss, is a more than handy player too

I disagree, if there's a good chance that your player (regardless of how good they are), are going to leave your team a player short for most of the match (and it's foreseeable), they should be considering it ... Strauss, is a more than handy player too

Im not saying Strauss couldnt or wouldnt perform in BDP's place but my point is that you just can't pre-empt the variables. Sure, BDP could of (and in this case did) pick up a second yellow but equally he could have had assists on 2 Springbok tries and make a try saving tackle to possibly win the game.

Im not saying Strauss couldnt or wouldnt perform in BDP's place but my point is that you just can't pre-empt the variables. Sure, BDP could of (and in this case did) pick up a second yellow but equally he could have had assists on 2 Springbok tries and make a try saving tackle to possibly win the game.

Well, I guess I'm looking at it from a risk v benefits point of view - if you have a player that seems to attract yellow cards/play a hard, physical type of game ... and I've used Bismarck here, but you could just as easily use Nonu. International Rugby is played as a squad, not as a starting XV, and Strauss could just as easily had two try assists and a try saving tackle too.

Latest posts