• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

18 year old Taniela Tupou could head to Wallabies.

Sam Owen

First XV
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Blues
The last time the media made such a big fuss about a kid playing college Rugby was years ago when Jonah Lomu was touted as the next sensation in rugby. Now its this young man, Taniela Tupou, but unlike Jonah he's a forward so Im not sure if he'll be like a try scoring machine like Jonah was.

Im sure NZRFU will look to do everything to keep this kid because basically he's a very promising polynesian boy straight from the kingdom.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/24460581/tongan-thor-may-quit-nz-rugby/
#

Yeah... can't see that happening. No offence to the Wallabies but who would you rather play for... Sounds like he is trying to force the NZRU's hand.

Yeah... can't see that happening. No offence to the Wallabies but who would you rather play for... Sounds like he is trying to force the NZRU's hand.
He's young so he could be rushing the NZRFU and so they should be. ARU already making efforts and he also has family there. Yeah, I cant see it happening either.

How do we even know if he's any good? Scoring tries is great, but there are quite a few more important aspects of being a prop...

How do we even know if he's any good? Scoring tries is great, but there are quite a few more important aspects of being a prop...
Thats the thing, he looks good attacking but they dont show him doing the other stuff.

The thing thats got me interested in this kid is..
1. NZ media doesnt normally show a kid in College and put him up for news saying hes the next big thing. They must have scouts insisting this kid is that good.
2. Like I said before last time I heard such hype was with Jonah. I think there was little hype on Savea as a youngster. So far the hyped up players have delivered.
3. NZ scouts are pretty accurate.

Who knows what the future holds for this kid but hes got eyes on him..

I think europe could be an interesting choice for him, but he should join a top club not just the one who offers the most money. It's unlikely he's going to play international rugby in the next 3 years or so anyway.
He could go for a few seasons to develop his scrummaging as well as earning more money! Then come back to play for the Wallabies.

I think europe could be an interesting choice for him, but he should join a top club not just the one who offers the most money. It's unlikely he's going to play international rugby in the next 3 years or so anyway.
He could go for a few seasons to develop his scrummaging as well as earning more money! Then come back to play for the Wallabies.

Thats a good idea. Id go for that myself. I wouldnt be surprised if that idea hasnt already been presented to him. It could be good for whatever European country hes in cos he might just end up playing for them.

looks like a good prospect for both countries but as mentioned you want to see him scrummage against men, either way good luck to him, I hope he achieves his goals.

I went to school with a kid who was a gun AFL footy player, tore it up in school footy. Got a contract with an AFL club, thenended up playing 3 games and got the flick after 1 season because he wasn't good enough. just an example of how different sport is playing against boys or men.

I'm really not too concerned if he wants to play in Australia or not. I'd be more more excited about an 18 year old kid who was scrummaging the sh*t out of prem teams, than I am about a prop who runs well with the ball. From his interviews the kids seems to feel pretty entitled - and a bit of a mercenary.

Wow, that's one obese kid. Let's see how he gets on when he's not playing against children.

I'm really not too concerned if he wants to play in Australia or not. I'd be more more excited about an 18 year old kid who was scrummaging the sh*t out of prem teams, than I am about a prop who runs well with the ball. From his interviews the kids seems to feel pretty entitled - and a bit of a mercenary.

Yes, he's only 18 and not had a minute of adult rugby and talking like he can walk into two of the top sides in the world. There are lots of kids who look great when they are freaks at that age but not so when they against adults, I bet someone like Ben Tameifuna, Tony Buckley or Cencus Johnston were doing similar stuff at that age. Also, as you point out, scrummaging comes first and foremost.

I think this child is ill advised. He has not yet demonstrated skills to speak of that could play in 2 of the most important national teams of our sport. I also find it sad the mercenary mentality having that child. "If I can't play for ABs, then I will play for Wallabies. If I can't play for Wallabies then I'll play for Tonga". That child is a mercenary! That's too bad, the children should be taught the love for our sport and not the love of money and fame.

I think this child is ill advised. He has not yet demonstrated skills to speak of that could play in 2 of the most important national teams of our sport. I also find it sad the mercenary mentality having that child. "If I can't play for ABs, then I will play for Wallabies. If I can't play for Wallabies then I'll play for Tonga". That child is a mercenary! That's too bad, the children should be taught the love for our sport and not the love of money and fame.
I know what you sayin and I feel you but thats the way things are now. Its not about representing your country with some people. When they're young like say 6 to 15yrs or so, they want to play for their country but as the get older, they dont really give a stuff about their country and thats mainly because their families poor and hungry. Not saying that Tanielas poor, he definitely eats.

As we all know, theres no greater motivator than money. With the way things are in the professional world of Ruggas, you could be from Tahiti, and speak Tahitian only, spend all your 18 years in Tahiti and become the greatest high paying South African Rugby player ever. He's 18 and he's calling for the cash, Im not sure if thats a good thing, he might spend like a young Mike Tyson.

He should be playing in backs. Like a No.13 or No.11 or No.14.

Trim him down a bit. It just maybe if he cant scrum. Well in that clip of his he's showing some good pace to get around some young teenage backs.

Probably the best post youve made here

Latest posts