16. George
17. Marler
18. Brookes
19. Itoje
20. Morgan
21. Simpson
22. Slade
23. Watson

This is the team I'd go with not what I believe SL will choose.

First of all, welcome to TRF!

I would guess your starting 15 is actually quite close to what SL would select. Just change Wade for Yarde, Wigglesworth for Youngs, and Mako for Marler.

I would prefer to see:

1. Vunipola
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Launchbury
6. Kvesic
7. Robshaw
8. Vunipola
9. Wigglesworth
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Slade
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Brown

16. George
17. Marler
18. Brookes
19. Attwood
20. Morgan
21. Simpson
22. Farrell
23. Watson

1411230541598220.png

[TABLE="width: 500, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Stormer's wishes[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Probable squad[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Starting XV[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Steven Kitshoff[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Tendai Mtawarira[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Bismarck du Plessis[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Bismarck du Plessis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Vincent Koch[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Jannie du Plessis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Pieter-Steph du Toit[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]5[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Victor Matfield (vc)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Francois Louw[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Francois Louw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Warren Whiteley (c)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Willem Alberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Duane Vermeulen (vc)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Duane Vermeulen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Jacobus Reinach[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ruan Pienaar[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Pat Lambie[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]10[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Handre Pollard[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Bryan Habana[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Bryan Habana[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Damian de Allende[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]12[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Jean de Villiers (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Lionel Mapoe[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]13[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Jan Serfontein[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Willie le Roux[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]14[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Cornal Hendricks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Jesse Kriel[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]15[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Wilie le Roux[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Extended Squad[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Frans Malherbe[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Frans Malherbe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Marcel van der Merwe[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Marcel van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Tendai Mtawarira[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Trevor Nyakane[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Adriaan Strauss[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Adriaan Strauss[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Craig Burden[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Schalk Brits[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Francois van der Merwe[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Pieter-Steph du Toit[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Juandre Kruger[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Flip van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Marcel Coetzee[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Marcel Coetzee[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Willem Alberts[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Teboho Mohoje[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Jaco Kriel[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Warren Whiteley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Faf de Klerk[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Jacobus Reinach[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Francois Hougaard[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fourie du Preez[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Handre Pollard[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Pat Lambie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Jan Serfontein[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Damian de Allende[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Harold Vorster[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Francois Hougaard[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Ruan Combrinck[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]JP Pietersen[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to TRF!

I would guess your starting 15 is actually quite close to what SL would select. Just change Wade for Yarde, Wigglesworth for Youngs, and Mako for Marler.

I would prefer to see:

1. Vunipola
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Launchbury
6. Kvesic
7. Robshaw
8. Vunipola
9. Wigglesworth
10. Ford
11. Yarde
12. Slade
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Brown

16. George
17. Marler
18. Brookes
19. Attwood
20. Morgan
21. Simpson
22. Farrell
23. Watson
Thanks Mumbles119.
I like that team also. I'd just be a little worried how the backs would hold up defensively against the big teams.
With that 9,10,12 our kicking out of hand should improve as there is plenty of options. I really believe Wigglesworth' kicking will be important in taking some of the pressure off Ford in the important games.
Wade should at the least make the 23 in my opinion (not that I think he will mind) as he can create something out of nothing and is the best finisher we have in England.
I like Kvesic but cant see him making the team at 6, although I'd have him in the squad.

Thanks Mumbles119.
I like that team also. I'd just be a little worried how the backs would hold up defensively against the big teams.
With that 9,10,12 our kicking out of hand should improve as there is plenty of options. I really believe Wigglesworth' kicking will be important in taking some of the pressure off Ford in the important games.
Wade should at the least make the 23 in my opinion (not that I think he will mind) as he can create something out of nothing and is the best finisher we have in England.
I like Kvesic but cant see him making the team at 6, although I'd have him in the squad.

It seems so contrary that we're considering playing Kvesic out of position at six to keep Robshaw in the side at seven, when we all think he should be playing six... :(

It seems so contrary that we're considering playing Kvesic out of position at six to keep Robshaw in the side at seven, when we all think he should be playing six... :(

I agree.

But additionally, look at the way France play the flankers, the SA approach with the positions and numbers swopped, Wales playing Tips and Warburton at the same time, Sale playing Braid and Seymour as two 7s, and even Australia considering the same with playing Pocock and Hooper at the same too. I think this hints the game is evolved and flexible enough for 6 and 7 to mean whatever the team and tactics want it to mean.

Historically, the openside was in most cases faster than the blindside so could cover more ground from a scrum, so was stuck on the openside of the scrum. But these days, pace doesn't really come into it and it's a fairly superficial distinction between the 6 and 7 shirt. (e.g. I never understood why we didn't stick Croft on the openside, as fast as he is to cover the ground.)

So Kvesic-Robshaw or Robshaw-Kvesic, it's not really that big a difference.

Historically, the openside was in most cases faster than the blindside so could cover more ground from a scrum, so was stuck on the openside of the scrum. But these days, pace doesn't really come into it and it's a fairly superficial distinction between the 6 and 7 shirt. (e.g. I never understood why we didn't stick Croft on the openside, as fast as he is to cover the ground.)

So Kvesic-Robshaw or Robshaw-Kvesic, it's not really that big a difference.

Maybe, but although I feel that England is probably modern enough to forget about traditional flanker roles- Robshaw and Wood aren't a distinct six-seven pairing, I do think that the current set up is too set it in it's ways to tell them to play on whichever side of the scrum they feel like; Robshaw will be on the openside, and Kvesic on the blind, if the shirts make it that way round.

BUT Kvesic is a better openside, i.e. he's faster, will be better able to cover a lot of ground and link with the backs or ruck as the first man more effectively than Robshaw- not that Robshaw is bad at any of that. By the same penchant, Robshaw would probably make the better blindside...
Anyway, my point is, it's ridiculous that they'd be playing that way round because, yes the role of flankers has changed somewhat, but the roles existed originally for a reason and they'd play better the other way round, but because of the way Robshaw has been permanently shoehorned in at seven, that's how it will be at this World Cup.

I think that all makes sense ;)

I dunno, I would probably argue that Kvesic is a better tight carrier than Robshaw, and Robshaw is more likely to act as a linkman on the fringes of a breakdown. Kvesic is somewhere between a 6 and a 7 in a traditional sense, and so is Robshaw.

Either way, 6. Kvesic 7. Robshaw would be an achievement in just getting Kvesic on the field.

Last edited:
Maybe, but although I feel that England is probably modern enough to forget about traditional flanker roles- Robshaw and Wood aren't a distinct six-seven pairing, I do think that the current set up is too set it in it's ways to tell them to play on whichever side of the scrum they feel like; Robshaw will be on the openside, and Kvesic on the blind, if the shirts make it that way round.

BUT Kvesic is a better openside, i.e. he's faster, will be better able to cover a lot of ground and link with the backs or ruck as the first man more effectively than Robshaw- not that Robshaw is bad at any of that. By the same penchant, Robshaw would probably make the better blindside...
Anyway, my point is, it's ridiculous that they'd be playing that way round because, yes the role of flankers has changed somewhat, but the roles existed originally for a reason and they'd play better the other way round, but because of the way Robshaw has been permanently shoehorned in at seven, that's how it will be at this World Cup.

I think that all makes sense ;)

They already do it, with wood and robshaw though.

Neither plays the 7 or the 6 role, they play it as it unfolds... Neither is there as the fetcher or link, neither is there as the police man.

So I don't think it would be a huge assumption to make that Kvesic would be asked to fulfill all his 7 duties if picked along side CR at 6.

Last edited:
They already do it, with wood and robshaw though.

Neither plays the 7 or the 6 role, they play it as it unfolds... Neither is there as the fetcher or link, neither is there as the police man.

So I don't think it would be a huge assumption to make that Kvesic would be asked to fulfill all his 7 duties if picked along side CR at 6.

My point is a trivial one to be fair- I don't doubt that either player would be effective in either position, or that it matters that we do not have a traditional 6 or 7, merely that in my opnion, Kvesic would be the better 7 and Robshaw the better 6 of the pair- so why on earth is it even considered that they'd be wearing the shirts and playing the position the other way round? (even if the significance is marginal)
I'm just highlighting the bizarre way in which Robshaw is only considered at seven, leading Kvesic to be considered at six. Anyway...

Wales squad imo:

Looshead props : Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Nicky Smith.

Rob Evans is another option, but can struggle in the scrum. Nicky Smith, whilst just back from injury, has already shown that he's more than solid in that regard. Jenkins will head into the tournament first choice, but I expect Smith to be pushing him hard by mid tournament.

Hookers : Ken Owens, Scott Baldwin, Richard Hibbard.

Owens is the clear first choice in my view, but Baldwin is a current favorite of the coaching team. Hibbard has fallen away somewhat, but I'd be tempted to have him on the bench for the impact he brings.

Tighthead props : Samson Lee, Tomas Francis, Rhodri Jones / Aaron Jarvis.

Still our big area of concern. Samson Lee is in a race against time to be fit, hopefully he makes it in time. Tomas Francis isn't Welsh yet, he could well opt for England instead. Rhodri Jones is due back from injury imminently, and is imo our next best option, even if there are question marks surrounding his scrummaging. Aaron Jarvis isn't a great option, but is the next best we have given that Adam Jones still looks poor.

Second rows : Alun-Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Jake Ball, Bradley Davies.

Alun-Wyn Jones and Charteris are nailed on starters imo. Ball offers good backup, as does Davies.

Backrow : Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Dan Baker.

The tried and tested backrow unit of Lydiate, Warbs and Faletau will likely start the big games, even if I'd opt for a Warbs, Tips, Faletau trio. Baker is doing a lot right atm, and should have cemented his place on the plane.

Scrum half : Rhys Webb, Gareth Davies / Mike Phillips.

Webb is clearly first choice. Again, with squad places tight, there's probably only really two scrum half places available. Davies didn't do himself any favors being sent off for the Scarlets a couple of weeks ago, but he's shown a lot over the last couple of seasons. I'm still tempted by Phillips' experience, which could prove useful in the WC. Aled Davies, Rhodri Williams, Lloyd Williams, and Jonathan Evans are there or thereabouts as well.

Outside half : Dan Biggar, Rhys Priestland.

Not sure about Priestland. He's not getting a huge about of game time at the Scarlets due to him leaving them at the end of the season, and he's struggled with consistency ever since the last WC, but not sure who else there is. I'd be tempted by Hook as a utility player (see below). Anscome does little for me, whilst Patchell is injured again. Sam Davies has played well for the Ospreys in Biggar's absence, and is an option.

Centers : Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, James Hook / Ashley Beck / Cory Allen / Tyler Morgan.

Hook's a good option for a WC squad, where numbers are tight. He covers 10, both center positions and fullback. Anyone know when Beck or Allen are due back? Big fan of both, but it's realistically probably too late for them for the WC. Tyler Morgan is an exciting prospect, offering something different to the others with his pace.

Back three : George North, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Alex Cuthbert, Eli Walker / Halam Amos.

I think Alex Cuthbert, despite his fall from grace, will go to the WC. He's too lethal a finisher to leave at home, and I'd expect him to improve again. Straight shoot-out between Walker and Amos for the final place in this squad. Amos has improved hugely, a very rounded player, but can be guilty of costly errors when placed under pressure. Walker is as injury prone as they come, but returns quickly to for each time, and consistently shows how lethal he can be.

I have a feeling I've forgotten a player or two, but it's too late, so I'll leave it as this for now.

Good squad, think we'll be ok, should have no problem getting out of the group with Australia, as Lancaster will probably have booted another half dozen out of his squad, for living in the wrong place, speeding on the M1 or being 5 minutes over on a parking ticket at Waitrose

Good squad, think we'll be ok, should have no problem getting out of the group with Australia, as Lancaster will probably have booted another half dozen out of his squad, for living in the wrong place, speeding on the M1 or being 5 minutes over on a parking ticket at Waitrose

Well, we'll have the last laugh long term when Gatland's policy of ignoring minor offences to field the best possible team (madman) leads to disaster as Wales' squad culture is totally destroyed and support disappears due to how horrified everybody is that young, highly paid males turn out to enjoy drinking (and then turn into knobheads when they do) *sobs*, trust me, it happened to us in 2011 :( *sobs again, louder*

Not that I disagree with any of Lancaster's decisions re. players being idiots.

You've done it now mate, you're gonna get done for racism on here after that. Good luck sir :p

Sometimes I wonder whether some of the Welsh/French posters would rather see their own country win or England lose... Not just referring to this thread either (and yes, I know that VC's post was in a joking tone).

I lol'ed.

Here's my SA squad I like the format that dullonien used so I'm going to copy it :p
Bold is who I believe with be selected, unbolded is reserves in order of preference and italics is a player I would like to see but I'm doubtful will be selected.

Loosehead: Tendai Mtawarira, Steven Kitsoff, Trevor Nyakane
Beast hasn't really had a bad enough season to justify being dropped quite yet, for all the Sharks problem this season it can't all be put at his feet in fact I feel he's been fairly good. That said Kitsoff has been the form player of the season with the Stormers having scrum dominance throughout. He's certainly proven he deserves a chance and I personally see him coming off the bench in the rugby championship to test his readiness.

Hooker: Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Schalk Brits
After some of his early season silliness I was all for lynching him and starting Strauss but Bismarck has proven his class in the last few games of the season, you really cannot ignore how much he brings to the team. Just keep him away from the captaincy! Strauss is the clear second choice and for me Brits is the perfect third choice, and brings that something extra to our game plan, especially since what he brings is entirely different from BdP and Strauss.

Tighthead: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Marcel van der Merve, Vincent Koch
The first choice I believe HM will get wrong, Jannie gets a lot of flak but to be fair he is an able scrummager, it's seldom the Sharks or the Boks get pushed around with him on the field but his abilities end there. He is sadly a terrible tackler in and out of the Bok jersey and he doesn't bring much added value to the team. Frans Malherbe has again been part of a dominant Stormers scrum, additionally he is a good tackler and an able ball carrier. He's also given away the least penalties of the incumbent tightheads (3 as opposed to Jannie's 14 and Marcel's 19). Vincent Koch is an interesting option, proven to be a great scrummager he also offers a lot in loose play, being the best ball carrier of all the tightheads. Unfortunately his lack of experience will count against him and he's the only one uncapped. Overall there's an improvement in this area to previous years where Jannie was basically the default selection due to lack of options.

Locks: Eben Etzebeth, Victor Matfield, Pieter Steph du Toit, Steven Lewis
Even and Matfield are the obvious incumbents here, there have been arguments against including Matfield in the squad but I do feel it's justified. When we included Jon Smit in 2011 it was a mistake but Victor won't just be in the side for leadership, no-one in South Africa does what he does for our line-outs. Additionally potential replacements have been injured.

Flanks: Francois Louw, Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Marcell Coetze, Jaco Kriel
I'm a big fan of Francois Louw and he has always been a trojan for the Bokke, additionally hes one of the few fetchers we posses, and he brings a lot more than just than being a solid link and ball carrier. Alberts is another decision I would disagree with but to be fair he always performs for the Bokke and offers an explosive ball carrying that is hard to match (when performing), however in terms of form and stats Kriel has had a far superior Super Rugby season. Schalk is an interesting option but I feel he's more suited to being an impact player as things stand, he's become that kind of player. Marcel Coetze is a great player but really needs a specialty to make him world class.

Eighth Man: Duane Vermulen, Pierre Spies, Warren Whiteley
Duane is epic. As for the back-up position both Whiteley and Arno Botha offer much more than Spies but Spies may be included for experience/nostalgic reasons which would be a shame in my opinion.

Scrum Half: Fourie du Preez, Cobus Reinach, Faf de Klerk
Looking better than it has in some time, we always perform with FdP at the helm and I'd be happy to see him back but there is a question of whether he can still perform at the top level, considering his recent injuries and age. The other two don't quite have his game management but are certainly explosive.

Fly-Half: Handre Pollard, Patrick Lambie, Morne Steyn/Elton Jantjies
Unfortunately none of our fly-halves really performed this year but Pollard certainly brings the most to the table when performing. Steyn to be our "just in case" back-up.

Centres: Jean de Villiers, Jan Serfontein, Damien de Allende
I love Jean but there is no question DdA brings more to the table these days, DdA needs to get a chance to prove himself before the WC. It's questionable whether we need added leadership with Matfield and Vermulen in the side. It might be to late to change captains however.

Wings: Habana, Hougard, Hendricks
I'm not sure what sort of form Habana is in but considering his form for the Springboks he can't really be neglected. I'm also a fan of Hendricks but Hougard is by far the better defender which will be needed against the class of world wingers. Additionally he's been on amazing form for the Bulls, being SA's top scoring wing and showing that wing really is his best position.

Fullback: Willie le Roux, Jesse Kriel
No competition really, Willie hasn't had the best season but with 21 year old Kriel being his only real position he has to get the opportunity to play in a side that isn't always on the back foot.

Pretty similar to what the other saffers have said, no real points of contention. Super excited for the rugby championship to see how things shape up.

Sometimes I wonder whether some of the Welsh/French posters would rather see their own country win or England lose... Not just referring to this thread either (and yes, I know that VC's post was in a joking tone).

Lol. Get over yourselves you arrogant sod ;)

Here's my SA squad I like the format that dullonien used so I'm going to copy it :p
Bold is who I believe with be selected, unbolded is reserves in order of preference and italics is a player I would like to see but I'm doubtful will be selected.

Loosehead: Tendai Mtawarira, Steven Kitsoff, Trevor Nyakane
Beast hasn't really had a bad enough season to justify being dropped quite yet, for all the Sharks problem this season it can't all be put at his feet in fact I feel he's been fairly good. That said Kitsoff has been the form player of the season with the Stormers having scrum dominance throughout. He's certainly proven he deserves a chance and I personally see him coming off the bench in the rugby championship to test his readiness.

Hooker: Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Schalk Brits
After some of his early season silliness I was all for lynching him and starting Strauss but Bismarck has proven his class in the last few games of the season, you really cannot ignore how much he brings to the team. Just keep him away from the captaincy! Strauss is the clear second choice and for me Brits is the perfect third choice, and brings that something extra to our game plan, especially since what he brings is entirely different from BdP and Strauss.

Tighthead: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Marcel van der Merve, Vincent Koch
The first choice I believe HM will get wrong, Jannie gets a lot of flak but to be fair he is an able scrummager, it's seldom the Sharks or the Boks get pushed around with him on the field but his abilities end there. He is sadly a terrible tackler in and out of the Bok jersey and he doesn't bring much added value to the team. Frans Malherbe has again been part of a dominant Stormers scrum, additionally he is a good tackler and an able ball carrier. He's also given away the least penalties of the incumbent tightheads (3 as opposed to Jannie's 14 and Marcel's 19). Vincent Koch is an interesting option, proven to be a great scrummager he also offers a lot in loose play, being the best ball carrier of all the tightheads. Unfortunately his lack of experience will count against him and he's the only one uncapped. Overall there's an improvement in this area to previous years where Jannie was basically the default selection due to lack of options.

Locks: Eben Etzebeth, Victor Matfield, Pieter Steph du Toit, Steven Lewis
Even and Matfield are the obvious incumbents here, there have been arguments against including Matfield in the squad but I do feel it's justified. When we included Jon Smit in 2011 it was a mistake but Victor won't just be in the side for leadership, no-one in South Africa does what he does for our line-outs. Additionally potential replacements have been injured.

Flanks: Francois Louw, Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Marcell Coetze, Jaco Kriel
I'm a big fan of Francois Louw and he has always been a trojan for the Bokke, additionally hes one of the few fetchers we posses, and he brings a lot more than just than being a solid link and ball carrier. Alberts is another decision I would disagree with but to be fair he always performs for the Bokke and offers an explosive ball carrying that is hard to match (when performing), however in terms of form and stats Kriel has had a far superior Super Rugby season. Schalk is an interesting option but I feel he's more suited to being an impact player as things stand, he's become that kind of player. Marcel Coetze is a great player but really needs a specialty to make him world class.

Eighth Man: Duane Vermulen, Pierre Spies, Warren Whiteley
Duane is epic. As for the back-up position both Whiteley and Arno Botha offer much more than Spies but Spies may be included for experience/nostalgic reasons which would be a shame in my opinion.

Scrum Half: Fourie du Preez, Cobus Reinach, Faf de Klerk
Looking better than it has in some time, we always perform with FdP at the helm and I'd be happy to see him back but there is a question of whether he can still perform at the top level, considering his recent injuries and age. The other two don't quite have his game management but are certainly explosive.

Fly-Half: Handre Pollard, Patrick Lambie, Morne Steyn/Elton Jantjies
Unfortunately none of our fly-halves really performed this year but Pollard certainly brings the most to the table when performing. Steyn to be our "just in case" back-up.

Centres: Jean de Villiers, Jan Serfontein, Damien de Allende
I love Jean but there is no question DdA brings more to the table these days, DdA needs to get a chance to prove himself before the WC. It's questionable whether we need added leadership with Matfield and Vermulen in the side. It might be to late to change captains however.

Wings: Habana, Hougard, Hendricks
I'm not sure what sort of form Habana is in but considering his form for the Springboks he can't really be neglected. I'm also a fan of Hendricks but Hougard is by far the better defender which will be needed against the class of world wingers. Additionally he's been on amazing form for the Bulls, being SA's top scoring wing and showing that wing really is his best position.

Fullback: Willie le Roux, Jesse Kriel
No competition really, Willie hasn't had the best season but with 21 year old Kriel being his only real position he has to get the opportunity to play in a side that isn't always on the back foot.

Pretty similar to what the other saffers have said, no real points of contention. Super excited for the rugby championship to see how things shape up.

I tend to agree. I feel injuries to up-and-commers have really set us back and this RWC is a year too early for SA; Malherbe might not get there behind Jannie as you say which pretty much sums it up; it's the exact same thing for Mtfield vs Du Toit where Du Toit's caps have been limited to 4(?) due to injury. Du Preez vs Reinach/De Klerk. Spies over Whiteley? No way in hell should that even be up for discussion but the sad fact is it is. Willie le Roux has been **** for a year and a halve now. Jean de Villiers will probably walk back into the side ahead of the form SA back in De Allende and the two SA forwards of the year in Koch and Kriel would be new caps. I disagree about a lack of performance from the SA halves; Reinach and Lambie were in awesome form before injury cut them down.

Better luck in Japan.

Latest posts