• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

When Pumas almost "eat" the Lions.

Problem is those were amateur era. The gap between professionals and amateur players have increased and mostly of the Argie league is amateurs.
The URBA (Union de Rugby de Buenos Aires) Top 14 is in theory an amateur tournament, but I can guarantee you that their level of play and demand is not far from a professional league.

Nah I have seen better AB sides down the years. Lions did not play as a team. Woodward relied on individuals. Think O'Driscoll was injured as well if I am not mistaken. The 2001 Lions played against a brilliant Wallaby team. What a series that was!

I think that 2005 side was a lot better than what we have today.

Since when did Italy have the potential of beating New Zealand?

Look at Italy's results against New Zealand and South Africa in the pro era.
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...eam=8;template=results;type=team;view=results
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...eam=5;template=results;type=team;view=results

Dude, your problem is you're far too pedantic in your reading of others' comments. I appreciate your spot-on knowledge man, srsly, but all I'm saying in my comment is we've got 3 nice teams there who share strong similarities rugby-wise that have the level these days (to COMPETE with the bigs). I'm very much aware of their record. For Italy, I was only hinting at their great 1st half against NZ in November, and that very strong performance at home a few years ago when the ref wouldn't give them the blatant pen. try at the end of the game. Remarkable scoreline ultimately...Italy can srsly SHUT DOWN the attack when they click and that's why they'll beat AUS and the likes of those in the upcoming years along with their pack and growing attacking flair.

I'm not actually saying ITA can beat NZ, they can't just now but have made some tremendous progress. They've shown they can beat Aus though, just a penalty short of a tie...really happy for Italian Rugby and excited for the decade (2010's).
Technically, I meant: France and Argies with potential to beat NZ, definitely enough to beat AUS. And then ITA *could* get AUS, but not yet NZ...they can't win an 80min match against NZ, not just now...

I'm not actually saying ITA can beat NZ, they can't just now but have made some tremendous progress. They've shown they can beat Aus though, just a penalty short of a tie...really happy for Italian Rugby and excited for the decade (2010's).
Technically, I meant: France and Argies with potential to beat NZ, definitely enough to beat AUS. And then ITA *could* get AUS, but not yet NZ...they can't win an 80min match against NZ, not just now...

Romania did beat Italy in recent memory. And only lost by 6 points last time they played and more recently led Scotland up until 70 minutes at the 2011 RWC. There is probably a greater chance and closer distance between Romania and Italy than there is between Italy and Romania, so your dismissal of them is unfair. Especially seeing as Italy, and in previous times France and Argentina have all had their fair share of thrashing at the hands of more senior sides.

On an unrelated point, I wouldn't get too excited for Italy this decade. Their junior sides have lost to Japan and Georgia this year, and lost to Georgia last year as well and also were relegated out of the Junior World Cup which is hardly a good sign and they only manage one credible domestic team and all the others are a joke with some pathetic attendances. They could be having big problems when Parisse, Castro, Zanni and Ghiraldini will all likely retire within 2-3 years of each other.

Last edited:
^ I know...I know, trust me I've thought of that...I do know their juniors are pretty terrible too.
I just mean from a global standpoint; unless it's really just this generation and with it gone, so the growth ?...; they've shown so much progress, thought they looked a bit stagnant earlier, I think November 2012 til now has really been their coming through. It seems they've grown past just the scrum, and the culture has flourished so much more...I don't think they'll be in a catastrophic state when the guys retire, unless there's just a complete disinterest with rugby in the country out of nowhere at the same time...I'm not sure what to make of the U20 cups really...
All I know is England seems to beat the crap out of everyone every year and they're not as dominant in the actual 6N.

Of course I remember the Scotland thing in the RWC. But still I wouldn't consider Romania in the same league (tier ?) as Italy, c'mon man. I know you're an enthusiast of that region, but....it's just a bit exaggerated.
In "recent memory", you mean when they beat Italy by a single point at home in 2004 ? And then having to go way back another decade to 1994 for their 2nd most recent defeat to Romania ?...
Last time they played was 2007, and Italy wasn't what they've been since about 2009. 2009 is when it all starts, around there, not before.

But it's a good point, what becomes of Italy in the post Parisse/Castro ? I dunno, I feel they've got the 'culture' now, they need to pick up where those have left off and continue progress. The entire nation won't suddenly gie up on the sport, know what I mean...they may have a bit of a hole and transition period for like a year, yeh...

Come on man! You're obsessed with dicks...get out the closet! Everybody knows you're in love with Andrea...

Andrea transcends traditional thought. I'd consider you weird if you didn't love him.
As much as I love dicks, I am still not even close to the gayest one on here.
Anybody want a TRF award for most Homoerotic thread?

I'm not sure it qualifies as homoerotic, but yoe91's 2013 wishes deserve a mention

Andrea transcends traditional thought. I'd consider you weird if you didn't love him.
As much as I love dicks, I am still not even close to the gayest one on here.
Anybody want a TRF award for most Homoerotic thread?

That would be a extremely relevant award, just which thread would get it?

Since when did Italy have the potential of beating New Zealand?

Look at Italy's results against New Zealand and South Africa in the pro era.
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...eam=8;template=results;type=team;view=results
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...eam=5;template=results;type=team;view=results

And then compare that with Romania's against Italy.
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...am=20;template=results;type=team;view=results

Now tell me whether you still think that it makes any less sense Italy playing Romania than playing New Zealand despite never coming with in 14 points of them (of which was a complete reserve AB side that day).

As Melhor Time always used to point out. Australia has never had a pro-league of their own outside Super Rugby. In the 2001 tour some of the Lions opposition was pretty amateur. http://www.lionsrugby.com/history/results.php?includeref=9755&season=2000-2001#.UXIg9rWG3zk

If Argentina get teams playing in Super Rugby or somewhere they could be on a par with that of 2001. So yes, your 12-16 years is accurate estimation. I don't think a tour to Argentina would catch on though. Lions tours have only really worked due to the fact all of SANZAR have normally been better than the British Isles sides. In fact this is the first tour since 1989 when the tour hasn't coincidentally happened against the best side in the world at the time.

By the way, the elite Argentine based players despite not having pro clubs are professional now Little Guy. Some are officially (http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/uar-signs-10-players-on-professional.html), but the squad of the Pampas XV or Jaguars are all pro (except maybe those on the fringes of the squad) in that they play rugby for a living even if they are only technically semi-pro.
Professional era only started in 1996

The URBA (Union de Rugby de Buenos Aires) Top 14 is in theory an amateur tournament, but I can guarantee you that their level of play and demand is not far from a professional league.
Maybe professional at a lower level but International level or Super Rugby level I doubt it. I refer you to the Pampas the best of those amateurs playing at Vodacom Cup standards

The year was 2005 and the Lions were preparing the tour for New Zealand, they needed an easy game to take confidence and glorying in front his people; so (they thought) "hey let´s play vs the amateurs boys from southamerica, those of blue and white, don´t remember the name"
The match was playing in the Millennium and the final score was 25-25, with a final penalty kick converted by Wilko in the minute..... 88!!!:huh: (a little robbery I think)
Here the last minutes of that match (the ref should be dress in red)

Another shining example of Stuart Dickinson's utter incompetence when it came to scrum time

Last edited by a moderator:
Another shining example of Stuart Dickinson's utter incompetence when it came to scrum time
Every referee is incomptent at scrum time. And there is those who is used as blockers by teams like the Bulls.

I'm not sure it qualifies as homoerotic, but yoe91's 2013 wishes deserve a mention

oh ok, the sodomy thing....I was really lost for a second there. If an anal-with-girl fetish is a gay thing then sign me up for suuuuure then, I'm one big ******, and sign up 50% of the planet's men as well while you're at it.

Latest posts