• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the problem with Sean Maitland?

Rhyer

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
I don't quite understand what people have against him. He's one of the best defensive wingers, if not the best, in the world and that's definitely needed against Australia. I know some prefer attacking aspects of Visser and Zebo but defensively they are crap in comparison and bad under the high ball. Don't be surprised if Maitland starts a match on the test series.

First up he's a New Zealander. This is the British and Irish Lions. I think most who object for this reason would also object to Visser though you could argue he's done a lot more to qualify.

Also I think you've gone a bit OTT with his defensive qualities and even as some would say a critic of Zebo he is excellent under the high ball.

I don't quite understand what people have against him. He's one of the best defensive wingers, if not the best, in the world and that's definitely needed against Australia. I know some prefer attacking aspects of Visser and Zebo but defensively they are crap in comparison and bad under the high ball. Don't be surprised if Maitland starts a match on the test series.
Zebo? Bad under the high ball. Simon Zebo is the king of the air. When he jumps for a ball he headbutts ryanair jets landing in Shannon Airport. Gravity is useless to Simon Zebo, he has no use of it.
And why not Maitland?
He's a Kiwi who has had one short season in Scotland and hasn't earned his spot yet as far as I'm concerned although I'm against him coming on principle.

Yeah, seriously, Zebo's mint under the high ball.

That said... I'm a big fan of what Maitland showed and am pleased he's going. I can understand the reluctance of some given his provenance, but for me, if he's Scottish enough to play for Scotland, he's Scottish enough to play for the Lions.

Yeah, seriously, Zebo's mint under the high ball.

That said... I'm a big fan of what Maitland showed and am pleased he's going. I can understand the reluctance of some given his provenance, but for me, if he's Scottish enough to play for Scotland, he's Scottish enough to play for the Lions.

Well said that man.

Thats my view on not just him but all these "foreigners" that play for our countries/clubs. He qualifies for Scotland therefore he qualifies for the Lions. Weather he has done enough in his short Scotland carrer to merit a place is another story. I personally thinks he does, I'm nt saying that Zebo and Gilroy and Wade etc don't, just I don't see much wrong with taking Maitland.

I hope he does well enough to merit an apology from all the doubters.

Regarding his qualification - he plays for Scotland so he's eligible, period. Personally I think there should be changes to the qualification rules for foreign players, situations like Maitland, where he moved to Scotland simply to play international rugby, qualifying because of his grandparents, shouldn't be allowed. I think it needs to be a residency minimum of 5 years and at least one parent has to be of the nationality of the team you are playing for. Regarding his selection for the Lions, well just jump on youtube and have a look at what he did for the Crusaders when he was playing for them. He will start for the Lions.

Personally I rate him, thought he had a tidy 6 Nations, although I think Zebo, Gilroy, Visser and Christian Wade have had better seasons overall. My only problem with his selection is, I can't help but feel that he only played for Scotland because New Zealand didn't come calling in time.

He will start for the Lions.

That's a bold claim. He's been good in his time with Glasgow and decent with Scotland, but I wouldn't say he's been great as yet. I'd have North, Cuthbert and Bowe ahead of him atm. He's in the squad though, so play well and he could force his way onto the test side I suppose.

Maitland played for Waikato while Gatland was coach, in case anybody wasn't aware :p Only one game mind you, but Gatland obviously knows him.

I would have had him as the starting right winger for the All Blacks with Cory Jane out. I really, really rate the guy. Probably one of the quickest players in the world, massive punt, always gets over the gain line. The issue is whether or not he should have been picked for Scotland in the first place, my opinion is that grandparents don't count, it's too far removed. Residency for four years should be the only criteria. Since he is selected - then fine he should be in the squad. In my mind he is certainly one of the best wingers in Europe. Visser has done more because he has played more, but I don't think he is better than Maitland. Anyway, he's just as British as the coach of the Lions...

That's a bold claim. He's been good in his time with Glasgow and decent with Scotland, but I wouldn't say he's been great as yet. I'd have North, Cuthbert and Bowe ahead of him atm. He's in the squad though, so play well and he could force his way onto the test side I suppose.

I'm basing that on his pedigree (as is Gatland I assume) rather than his 6N/Glasgow performances. If he was a young Scottish player, new to top flight rugby he would not have been picked. He didn't do enough in the 6N to justify a Lions place. Obviously this was partly down to Scotland playing dire 10 men rugby, despite having one of the best back 3s in the tournament! I agree he should have been in the ABS ahead of Corey Jane. I'm guessing with his boyish good looks he shagged a coaches/selectors/players wife/girlfriend/daughter.

I'm basing that on his pedigree (as is Gatland I assume) rather than his 6N/Glasgow performances. If he was a young Scottish player, new to top flight rugby he would not have been picked. He didn't do enough in the 6N to justify a Lions place. Obviously this was partly down to Scotland playing dire 10 men rugby, despite having one of the best back 3s in the tournament! I agree he should have been in the ABS ahead of Corey Jane. I'm guessing with his boyish good looks he shagged a coaches/selectors/players wife/girlfriend/daughter.

I don't neccesarily think he should have been picked ahead of Cory Jane, as CJ is arguably the best proven right wing in the world - but I thought Maitland would have made a very good backup. Obviously I would rather he was selected over Zac Guildford.

In terms of Scotland playing 10 man rugby, can't agree with you there. They were easily the most attack oriented side this 6 Nations.

I would have had him as the starting right winger for the All Blacks with Cory Jane out. I really, really rate the guy.

I don't neccesarily think he should have been picked ahead of Cory Jane, as CJ is arguably the best proven right wing in the world - but I thought Maitland would have made a very good backup.

So confused.

In terms of Scotland playing 10 man rugby, can't agree with you there. They were easily the most attack oriented side this 6 Nations.

Really?? I didn't watch all of their games, but read the match reports and they were constantly criticised for constantly kicking the ball away.

Really, I mean Maitland's grandparents probably weren't even legitimate New Zealanders. Send them back to where they belong, even if it is a couple of generations too late, at least it's progress.

I don't think he should be playing for Scotland in the first place he played for NZ maori right? thats should really have bonded him to NZ, also I think he has a lot of work to do to get past Bowe/Cutberth for 14, saying he will start for the lions based on performances while he was at the Crusaders and somewhat ignoring his lack of performance for Scotland is a like saying we should pick Kearney to start over Halfpenny because he had a better 6N last year.

I don't think he should be playing for Scotland in the first place he played for NZ maori right? thats should really have bonded him to NZ, also I think he has a lot of work to do to get past Bowe/Cutberth for 14, saying he will start for the lions based on performances while he was at the Crusaders and somewhat ignoring his lack of performance for Scotland is a like saying we should pick Kearney to start over Halfpenny because he had a better 6N last year.

Yeah it does sound a bit cockamamie, but he is a very good winger playing for two pretty average sides - Glasgow & Scotland. It is nigh on impossible for a good player to shine when you're stuck in a sh!thouse team, especially on the wing. It would be silly of Gatland to ignore his performances prior to coming to Scotland and simply judging him on how he had played since moving there.

You would have to ignore his form for the Crusaders in 2012 too, as he had a poor season (he ended up being stuck on the bench behind Adam Whitelock of all people!). He was good in 2011 and 2010 though....

Latest posts