• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are you listening to?

My Dad's a huge fan, he grew up in Northampton, the way he describes it is that at a time where there was a lot of hatred towards the Irish and a bit of shame their message was **** that, we're Irish, what are you going to do about it?! And a lot of English loved the music which only made things better.

I'd probably be the biggest fan among my friends but I haven't met anyone who rejects them as Irish, obviously they are an English-Irish band and Shane is the most Irish of them despite growing up and living in England most his life but that was the norm for a large portion of his generation of Irish people whether it was the UK, US or Australia. Their story and message definitely resonates with me though, I can't relate personally as I was born in Ireland and have lived here all my life but despite having totally Irish blood my siblings and I were the first on both sides of my family to be born in Irish ruled Ireland! It's why I don't really joke about the yank who's dog's third cousin was Irish claiming to be Irish because I've met many people who have only ever had the opportunity to visit Ireland who are better versed in our history, cultures and sometimes even our language, and have done more for the country from their other home, than people who have no family outside the free state counties. It works both ways but being forced out of a country definitely brings a lot of people closer to their roots than they ever would have been at home and the pogues' music and Shane MacGowan epitomise that!

Long answer there but you gave me the opportunity to talk about a very niche topic that I'm passionate about! :p

Shane "sang" fairytale of New York to finish the show last night and he missed cues and was really dreadful outside the first verse. A shame what he did to himself and it's definitely past the time he stopped performing.
I acknowledge I've no right to say what is or isn't Irish, but my outsider's take has always been similar to yours. Given a long history of migration, The Irish Diaspora is a not insignificant part of Irish history/culture/identity and The Pogues represent the diaspora more than Ireland. Their style, especially early on, is basically British punk played on a mix of British and Irish instruments. Play their songs using only distorted guitars and you'd have punk with an Irish hint. Lyrically they talk about anywhere in the world Irish people have settled, songs about Ireland, London, USA, Australia.

While on the topic of Irish punks, a shout for Stiff Little Fingers, one of my favourite original UK punk bands, and actually my first live gig! (On a reunion tour in 2002)
Nah, Birmingham NEC or NIA
Thinking back, I think mine was 2005 anyway. Support was Dropkick Murphies, Boston Irish punk, Les Pauls and bagpipes. Mental

MGMT - In the afternoon.

It came up on my YouTube recommendations a few days ago. I clicked on it because I haven't really heard of them in a decade. I'm glad I checked the video out because it's a cracking song. Best new song I've heard in a while.

@TRF_Olyy @The Alpha Bro and anyone else interested...

The Story of Fairytale of New York - Thursday at 10pm on BBC4

"All eight members of The Pogues return to the studio where their biggest hit - and the nation's favourite Christmas single - was recorded, to tell the story behind the song."

Holy penny whistle am I in for that bad boy

@TRF_Olyy @The Alpha Bro and anyone else interested...

The Story of Fairytale of New York - Thursday at 10pm on BBC4

"All eight members of The Pogues return to the studio where their biggest hit - and the nation's favourite Christmas single - was recorded, to tell the story behind the song."

Holy penny whistle am I in for that bad boy
I really enjoyed it, MacGowan manages to be an absolute character while barely being coherent! Kirsty MacColl's death was such a tragedy, the scenes with her son were probably the most memorable of the show.

I acknowledge I've no right to say what is or isn't Irish, but my outsider's take has always been similar to yours. Given a long history of migration, The Irish Diaspora is a not insignificant part of Irish history/culture/identity and The Pogues represent the diaspora more than Ireland. Their style, especially early on, is basically British punk played on a mix of British and Irish instruments. Play their songs using only distorted guitars and you'd have punk with an Irish hint. Lyrically they talk about anywhere in the world Irish people have settled, songs about Ireland, London, USA, Australia.

While on the topic of Irish punks, a shout for Stiff Little Fingers, one of my favourite original UK punk bands, and actually my first live gig! (On a reunion tour in 2002)

Thinking back, I think mine was 2005 anyway. Support was Dropkick Murphies, Boston Irish punk, Les Pauls and bagpipes. Mental

My fave punk band too. Seen them 2 or 3 times at Brixton Academy St Patricks day gigs they used to do in early '90s. Johnny Was on the HANX live album still one of my all time fave songs. Brother saw them recently, said they were still good.

I really enjoyed it, MacGowan manages to be an absolute character while barely being coherent! Kirsty MacColl's death was such a tragedy, the scenes with her son were probably the most memorable of the show.
Man it was brilliant. I love how the rest of them are grown up and sensible, sensible clothes, neat haircuts, clearly quite earnest about their music, and Shane is ... Shane.

Thought it was a genuinely excellent documentary, told the story without being sensationalist, the right balance of accuracy and myth-making and I particularly enjoyed the way it was soundtracked with different instrument versions of the song's central melody. Cleverly brought home how good that basic melody is, by showing how good it sounds with different instrumentation. Personally I would've enjoyed a bit of music theory digging into the actual composition, but I'm a bit of a geek for that kind of thing and I can see that for a gebwrsl audience it wouldn't have been particularly worthwhile.
My fave punk band too. Seen them 2 or 3 times at Brixton Academy St Patricks day gigs they used to do in early '90s. Johnny Was on the HANX live album still one of my all time fave songs. Brother saw them recently, said they were still good.
Ah man good choice, one of my favourite covers that. I love Hanx, great live band. Glad they're still killing it!

What else @The Alpha Bro, what else?

Good use of Fairytale in the Gavin & Stacey special yesterday FYI.

Since we're doing Christmas songs, this is a personal fave:

Latest posts