• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

Don't hate it tbh, there's a lack of rugby on the east coast of the country (like Norfolk being in Tigers catchment zone despite being about as far away as Cardiff)
Would much rather they move into a new area than do what they did before shoehorning themselves in between three pre-exisiting clubs

The stadium building bit will be the biggest snag - would make sense to use Warriors ground while that goes through, but would be better if they could find a football club to groundshare with (are there any?) instead - show that they actually want to be in kent rather than it be a last resort

I mean, it makes me feel positive. It sounds like the strive will be to play in Kent if possible sooner but use Wuss if needs be.

They do say "Agreed an option of utilising Worcester Warriors 6ways for training and playing purposes, without anyway replacing WW RFC and indeed committed to assisting their return to competitive rugby.

It does isolate some of our fanbase from midlands but its not like we haven't moved before and will open up london fans to their club again. Interesting to see how this develops.

Don't hate it tbh, there's a lack of rugby on the east coast of the country (like Norfolk being in Tigers catchment zone despite being about as far away as Cardiff)
Would much rather they move into a new area than do what they did before shoehorning themselves in between three pre-exisiting clubs

The stadium building bit will be the biggest snag - would make sense to use Warriors ground while that goes through, but would be better if they could find a football club to groundshare with (are there any?) instead - show that they actually want to be in kent rather than it be a last resort
And also a significant amount of monied people to help with sponsorship.
Lots of city people live in north west Kent, who are probably rugby fans.
Also fits with the RFU trying to create countrywide franchises.

I hope we stick to our word of helping Worcester and them returning to being a playing club.

We seem to have the right people involved with the club and driving forward.

The biggest concern is the competition for me. The RFU didn't do much for us in terms of convincing our investors and we need to work on that but sounds much more positive than i was this time last year.

Gillingham would be a good about town wise if they wanna ground share

Honestly Kent it a good target area for a rugby club.

Academy catchment will be interesting will wasps be allowed to have a RFU academy area?

Sevenoaks is a good location given its London access but as said building a stadium in this economy…

Gillingham would be a good about town wise if they wanna ground share

Honestly Kent it a good target area for a rugby club.

Academy catchment will be interesting will wasps be allowed to have a RFU academy area?

Sevenoaks is a good location given its London access but as said building a stadium in this economy…
Right size stadium as well, not too big.
Another option would be Maidstone as they have a 4g pitch.

Right size stadium as well, not too big.
Another option would be Maidstone as they have a 4g pitch.
The first part of the comeback solution for Wasps is the proposed new indoor 28,000-seat stadium, "The Wasps Nest", which will derive most of its income from concerts, exhibitions, conferences and an on-site hotel. Comparisons have been made to the O2 arena.

Dreaming big.

The first part of the comeback solution for Wasps is the proposed new indoor 28,000-seat stadium, "The Wasps Nest", which will derive most of its income from concerts, exhibitions, conferences and an on-site hotel. Comparisons have been made to the O2 arena.

Dreaming big.
But that was proposed to be in south Midlands, not Kent.
Another short term option would be Crawley Town.

Both Kent and Crawley work for me very local, rugby isn't big here at all, when I did play most were either Leicester or Bath fans I chose a London based team for ease of getting to games and just loved the way wasps plaid , Crawley isn't a nice place though IMO.

This is for Kent

The proposed site for the new stadium is Pedham Place golf course, just outside Swanley, on the corner of the M25 and the M20. Holland initially looked at Oxford as Wasps' potential new home but then identified the advantages of Kent, a rugby-rich county where there is also a gap in the market because there is no professional club in the top three divisions.

This is for Kent

The proposed site for the new stadium is Pedham Place golf course, just outside Swanley, on the corner of the M25 and the M20. Holland initially looked at Oxford as Wasps' potential new home but then identified the advantages of Kent, a rugby-rich county where there is also a gap in the market because there is no professional club in the top three divisions.
Where is this information, the news in April was just off M40

google tells me the average attendance for wasps in 21-22 was only 9k with a max of 13k...does 28 feel a little high?

im a little surprised a club that recently had administration issues is going for building a new stadium and i assume taking on a big wedge of debt

google tells me the average attendance for wasps in 21-22 was only 9k with a max of 13k...does 28 feel a little high?

im a little surprised a club that recently had administration issues is going for building a new stadium and i assume taking on a big wedge of debt
Yeah it'd be way too big for them solely as a rugby stadium, I'm guessing the extra size is with an eye on using it as a concert venue as well
Where is this information, the news in April was just off M40
They only announced the proposed move to/new stadium in Kent today

Yeah it'd be way too big for them solely as a rugby stadium, I'm guessing the extra size is with an eye on using it as a concert venue as well

in NZ we all play in stadium that are too big for us because everyone wants one that might host an AB's game...and over the years ive come the the opinion its detrimental the the game, people watching on tv see the stadiums mostly empty and cant help thinking..."not very popular is it, cant be any good", compared to the small dense fotball stadiums that are humming with noise

Yeah, Bristol bears get decent crowds in the Prem but because they play in a 27k football stadium it looks like a ghost town

They only announced the proposed move to/new stadium in Kent today
But they announced the idea of the M40 stadium in April, so that it eas close to the training ground.