• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warren Gatland is Lions Coach

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Today the worst kept secret in rugby was confirmed. Wales coach Warren Gatland will coach the 2013 Lions tour to Australia.

To me that's the only possible choice they had. That's not me as a Welshman saying it, it's me as a rugby fan saying that. He has coached on a Lions torus before so he knows what being a Lion means. Also record with Wales speaks for itself.

Today the worst kept secret in rugby was confirmed. Wales coach Warren Gatland will coach the 2013 Lions tour to Australia.

To me that's the only possible choice they had. That's not me as a Welshman saying it, it's me as a rugby fan saying that. He has coached on a Lions torus before so he knows what being a Lion means. Also record with Wales speaks for itself.

1 win from 19 attempts against Tri Nations opposition.

Andy Robinson as coach as 6 wins over Tri Nations opposition in 13 matches.

There's been a considerable amount of unimaginativeness about this appointment. I would have given the job to Joe Schmidt, he's taken Leinster to another level.

A Lions tour with plenty of media *****ing. On the plus side, very few (if any) English players are likely to miss the end of the season now.

1 win from 19 attempts against Tri Nations opposition.

Andy Robinson as coach as 6 wins over Tri Nations opposition in 13 matches.

There's been a considerable amount of unimaginativeness about this appointment. I would have given the job to Joe Schmidt, he's taken Leinster to another level.

All that is utter balderdash. As a rule all current NH coaches have a poor record against Tri Nations sides. Based on the weather that was on when Scotland did win those game we should send Robinson up in a bloody weather balloon make sure passes down. Or hope that arrogant arse gets electrocuted.

Also you can't give the Lions job to a club coach, he has no clue how to deal with the situation of having the best of 4 different countries.

Great! For Welsh rugby lets reset our clocks to 2000 and take notes this time.

I'd be fine with Robinson as head coach, as I could care less about the Lions.
The Welsh tour to Japan is of greater interest to me.

Last edited:
All that is utter balderdash. As a rule all current NH coaches have a poor record against Tri Nations sides. Based on the weather that was on when Scotland did win those game we should send Robinson up in a bloody weather balloon make sure passes down. Or hope that arrogant arse gets electrocuted.

Also you can't give the Lions job to a club coach, he has no clue how to deal with the situation of having the best of 4 different countries.

But Gatland's handily got the worst. All of the Home Nations have beaten Australia down under relatively recently, except Wales.

I'd agree there's no other possible appointment really - the mediocre record of the rest of us puts paid to that, as does the lack of credible elder statsmen. But if you seriously think Gatland's poor record against the SH and Australia in particular isn't relevant, then with all due respect I want to know what you're smoking. Personally I find it quite worrying. Beating the Aussies is simple enough, but Gatland's game plan hasn't managed it. Is he going to change it?

You don't know Joe Schmidt and what he's like, so you can't say he has "no clue" based on presumption.

Seeing as no club coach has been a Lions coach in recent memory, you also have no past experiences to base that on.

It's hardly like appointing national team coaches has led to success the last few tours either.

Also I didn't say Robinson should be Lions coach, I was just pointing out that Wales under Gatland has a very poor record against the Tri Nations sides.

From the last 10 years Laporte (10 wins), Woodward (12 wins), Robinson (6 wins), O'Sullivan (4 wins) all have much better records against Tri Nations than Wales under Gatland, even Johnson, Lievremont and Kidney all have won more.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it irrelevant at all but the Lions is a far different entity and you can't treat it as any other tour. As such you take the guy who is the best coach and that is Gatland.

I'm not saying it irrelevant at all but the Lions is a far different entity and you can't treat it as any other tour. As such you take the guy who is the best coach and that is Gatland.

I have to agree to disagree there.

I feel Leinster under Schmidt are a much better and more adaptable side than Wales under Gatland, and in my opinion Schmidt is the better coach.

You don't know Joe Schmidt and what he's like, so you can't say he has "no clue" based on presumption.

Seeing as no club coach has been a Lions coach in recent memory, you also have no past experiences to base that on.

It's hardly like appointing national team coaches has led to success the last few tours either.

Also I don't think Robinson should be Lions coach, I was just pointing out that Wales under Gatland has a very poor record against the Tri Nations sides.

From the last 10 years Laporte (10 wins), Woodward (12 wins), Robinson (6 wins), O'Sullivan (4 wins) all have much better records against Tri Nations than Wales under Gatland, even Johnson, Lievremont and Kidney all have won more.

Do Leinster have the best internationals of all 4 nations? Has had that any of his previous jobs? Thought not so I'm justified in saying that.

Do Leinster have the best internationals of all 4 nations? Has had that any of his previous jobs? Thought not so I'm justified in saying that.

Then you would never appoint a new Lions coach then.

You would just be going back to McGeechan all the time.

By that logic, Gatland had "no clue" in 2009.

You don't know Schmidt so can't assume he has "no clue" just based on previous jobs.

Last edited:
Gatland's approach is defence, crash, kicking and fitness.

This will only go so far against the Aussies, their defence is very good.

Pretty harsh criticism of Gatland. Joe Schmidt I genuinely like (either way it would be a kiwi as coach), but I do think you have to select an international coach to coach an international team. Schmidt has done very well for Leinster, as Gatland did extremely well for London Wasps - it's still very difficult to say how well that translates to international form. Declan Kidney won the H-Cup twice with Munster, and he's an average as hell international coach. There's very little doubt Leinster would do no better than Wales against the All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies.

The options were
1. Warren Gatland - Recently choached Wales to a 2012 Grandslam and 4th in the RWC.
2. Declan Kidney - Recently suffered the worst loss in Irish rugby history with a 60-0 scoreline against the All Blacks. Loss in QF to Gatland's Wales.
3. Andy Murray - Other than a fluke victory against a second string Australia in torrid conditions, nothing really of note.
4. Stuart Lancaster - New to England job but in my opinion is about as creative as an automatic door.

Not really left with many choices, and I think Wales have actually looked quite dynamic of late. Shoulda ask Graham Henry again, he seems to up for just about any job lately...

Last edited:
Pretty harsh criticism of Gatland. Joe Schmidt I genuinely like (either way it would be a kiwi as coach), but I do think you have to select an international coach to coach an international team. Schmidt has done very well for Leinster, as Gatland did extremely well for London Wasps - it's still very difficult to say how well that translates to international form. Declan Kidney won the H-Cup twice with Munster, and he's an average as hell international coach. There's very little doubt Leinster would do no better than Wales against the All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies.

The options were
1. Warren Gatland - Recently choached Wales to a 2012 Grandslam and 4th in the RWC.
2. Declan Kidney - Recently suffered the worst loss in Irish rugby history with a 60-0 scoreline against the All Blacks. Loss in QF to Gatland's Wales.
3. Andy Murray - Other than a fluke victory against a second string Australia in torrid conditions, nothing really of note.
4. Stuart Lancaster - New to England job but in my opinion is about as creative as an automatic door.

Not really left with many choices, and I think Wales have actually looked quite dynamic of late. Shoulda ask Graham Henry again, he seems to up for just about any job lately...
Gold medal at the Olympics and runner up at Wimbledon aren't too bad.

;)

I disagree that you have to appoint a current international coach as the Lions coach. And that appointing a coach of a club team is not worth trying, given there is no history of it to suggest it is a bad idea, and the previous appointments of national team coaches has resulted in three successive tour defeats.

In fact, after Henry (current Wales coach in 2001) coached the Lions, Wales were diabolical the following season and Henry was sacked. After the 2009 tour also Wales weren't at all great in the following year or so, and some even wanted Gatland out at one point (don't pretend now there wasn't a few who were saying that).

So I fear Wales' progress will be hurt by this for a start.

Also there is a lot of doubt that Leinster could have won more than one match in 19 attempts against the Tri Nations. England, France, Ireland and Scotland all done better against Tri Nations than Wales under Gatland.

Finally, Schmidt is different to Gatland and Kidney. He transformed Leinster into the best side the Heineken Cup has ever seen, much better than Kidney's Munster was. Also Munster had a specific Munster-style of playing, which many have felt wouldn't suit some the personnel of the current Ireland squad, and he has shown he isn't very adaptable and Ireland are underachieving.

Schmidt's Leinster is adaptable to more than one game plan which is what makes them so special (and better than Gatland and Kidney's teams).

The options were

?

Now you mention Henry, I would prefer him to Gatland. He knows how to beat this Australia side, would have no bias towards his own squad (like Gatland will do) as he hasn't coached most of the players, and would be able to reflect on the mistakes of 2001, just like he corrected the mistakes of 2007 for the All Blacks.

I think Gatland was the right choice. but it will be interesting in who he takes as part of his coaching team.

I wonder if Martin Johnson could go as forwards coach?
He's got a history with the Lions, and I don't think he's up to much these days...

Latest posts