• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations 2010 top XV

I like that side Drizzy, Pocock had a great tri nations, at times he has had greate technique at the breakdown. He won the breakdown battle against McCaw in the first game but McCaw did win every other part of the battle.

But Kaino has been awesome, he was the difference between winning and losing that last game where he earned the name the "difference maker" I'd go as far as to say right now he is a better player than Collins was at his best.

And this is where I have to agree and also disagree.
Kaino has been awesome, another player who hasn't done anything wrong and stuck to the fundamentals. Even though I agree that when he came on the game turned instantly, but I also have considered the fact that Vito was just not the right man for the job. I saw that in the early stages of the game and boy was I screaming at the television.
And when Kaino came on I felt safer, knowing that stupid decisions weren't going to be made by the blindside flanker anymore. Now, in saying that, Kaino was fresh and hungry for play.
We've all seen this before in Dagg when he has substituted late in the game and made a big difference. So that has to be considered as well. Where as, Pocock was consistent which is why he got the pick over Kaino for me.

I like that side Drizzy, Pocock had a great tri nations, at times he has had greate technique at the breakdown. He won the breakdown battle against McCaw in the first game but McCaw did win every other part of the battle.

But Kaino has been awesome, he was the difference between winning and losing that last game where he earned the name the "difference maker" I'd go as far as to say right now he is a better player than Collins was at his best.

I can't disagree more. Collins was consistantly one of the best flankers NZ has ever had. As a blindside I'd rate him higher than Michael Jones. Hardest hitter and huge work rate. Kaino is still a poor mans Collins, although he has improved a lot this year. Collin's still has to be rated the best blindside from 2004-2007. You'd find it hard to argue Kaino is rated above Juan Smith or Rocky Elsom.

didnt think much of collins to be honest, but will admit he was the go forward of the pack especially without mealamu

Collins was consistantly one of the best flankers NZ has ever had. As a blindside I'd rate him higher than Michael Jones. Hardest hitter and huge work rate.

I prefer world champion Michael Jones. Michael did a lot of big hits during his career, he was also known for his defence. His career in top level Rugby I think was longer than Jerry's too. Media often asked Michael about his hard defence he'd say 'its better to give than receive'.

smh

and yeah i agree with the other guy, after the super 14 i was expecting big things from Genia but he was quite average, i think Weepu, Cowan and Francois Hougaard were better, i think Giteau was average too

anyway

1. Woodcock (can't think of anyone else)
2. Mealamu
3. Franks
4. Thorn
5. Matfield
6. Smith
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Hougaard
10 Carter
11 Rokocoko
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Mitchell
15 Muliaina

Steenkamp had a great tournament at loose-head. Also, no Cory Jane?

I prefer world champion Michael Jones. Michael did a lot of big hits during his career, he was also known for his defence. His career in top level Rugby I think was longer than Jerry's too. Media often asked Michael about his hard defence he'd say 'its better to give than receive'.

In my mind, Michael Jones was always a much better openside flanker than a blindside. He was no doubt world class at both positions, but I think Collins was the better blindside. No doubt Collins was a bigger hitter. Jones was perhaps a bit better in the loose and he also could play more of a fetchers role.

From a neutral perspective

Jones > Collins > Kaino

I say this with the reservation that if one compare the three then Jones gets the handicap that he did not have access to the conditioning programs that modern player's do IE I think that for his time, he made the bigger impact.

Kaino still has a long way to go until he is rated better than Collins. Jerry was a very strong impact player. Kaino is not weak but not as effective as Collins yet.

i reckon DC wasnt that far ahead as wynne grey says,i mean he had an awesome forward pack to work from

i reckon DC wasnt that far ahead as wynne grey says,i mean he had an awesome forward pack to work from

I think it was a pretty poor showing from all the first fives, but that said Carter was still lightyears ahead of Steyn. Maybe if Cooper wasn't so stupid and didn't get done for a spear tackle he would have mounted more of a challenge.

Here's Wynne Grays of the NZ Heralds team ... couldn't be considered a Bledisloe team this time :D

1/ Woodcock
2/ Mealamu
3/ Owen Franks
4/ Thorn
5/ Matfield
6/ Kaino
7/ Macaw
8/ Read
9/ Hougaard
10/ Carter
11/ Rokocoko
12/ Nonu
13/ Smith
14/ Jane
15/ Muliaina

Unluckiest Pocock

If you want to see his reasons http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10673968
Nope definately not a Bledisloe team, now its the All 'Boks hehe (if you get what I mean).

Here's Wynne Grays of the NZ Heralds team ... couldn't be considered a Bledisloe team this time :D

1/ Woodcock
2/ Mealamu
3/ Owen Franks
4/ Thorn
5/ Matfield
6/ Kaino
7/ Macaw
8/ Read
9/ Hougaard
10/ Carter
11/ Rokocoko
12/ Nonu
13/ Smith
14/ Jane
15/ Muliaina

Unluckiest Pocock

If you want to see his reasons http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10673968

thats almost the same exact team i picked, only difference is i picked Mitchell as one of the wingers

duz dat mean i is a rugby expert?

Last edited:
In my mind, Michael Jones was always a much better openside flanker than a blindside. He was no doubt world class at both positions, but I think Collins was the better blindside. No doubt Collins was a bigger hitter. Jones was perhaps a bit better in the loose and he also could play more of a fetchers role.

hmm....are you from wellington? lol jk

That may have been so to begin with but towards the end of his All Blacks career Jones was almost exclusively at blindside.

Jones played 74 matches for the All Blacks;

52 at openside flanker
18 at blindside flanker
4 at No. 8

However, of his 18 matches on the blindside, 16 were the last 17 of his career, because the No. 7 jersey was firmly under the ownership of one Joshua Kronfeld, the best openside flanker of his time.

Jones was once asked how he reconciled his hard, uncompromising tackling with his gentle Christian beliefs

His answer was a quote from the Bible (Acts Ch20 v35)

"....It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Last edited:
In his time he was just outstanding old Michael Jones, he stamped his mark in world Rugby in '87 and got the worlds respect. I like this one here from the old Auckland stars, Iceman and JK put it together for a beautiful (back then) 4 pointer. The kiwi supporter that runs on the field with the flag is the man lol, cracks me up...

Last edited by a moderator: