Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Ryan Grant (SCO)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Domingo (FRA)

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Corbisiero.

scotty, do you leave the number one choice out of every poll on purpose? to get us all talking or something :)

Cian Healy way out in front is a surprise to me.

I'd have thought it a four-way toss up between Ayerza, Mtawarira, Woodcock and Domingo as the best scrummigers. Maybe I just havn't watched enough games featuring Ireland but I can't say that I've ever rated the Irish scrum as a strong point of theirs but has it improved that much under the new engagement sequence? My ignorance regarding NH props is showing then I suppose.
I know a guy like Coenie Oosthuizen was always handy in open play but attracted a lot of penalties at the scrum but the new sequence suits his huge frame much better so I could understand that if Healy is that type of player?

Woodcock isn't the player he was so he really shouldn't win this now. Ayerza, Beast and Healy are the best (along with Corbs) and really could have been selected but went with Healy because he brilliant in the loose.

Mako should not be on the list and I would never vote for Healy on principle as his temperament is worse than Hartley's but he will win due to the preponderance of Irish posters on these forums.....so good luck to him!

Agree on temperament. I voted for a fit, in form Jenkins

Oh, and as others have mentioned, Isn't Corbs a tight head?

Oh, and as others have mentioned, Isn't Corbs a tight head?
Nope he Is a loosehead, played there against Australia in the final test and was man of the match, got Alexander sin binned.

think he was taking the proverbial abotu Corb's being a tighthead...
Ohhhhhh........................ Well don't I look like a stupid **** now

Healy definitely for me, hes always been outstanding in the loose and his work there is key for Ireland and Leinster, but in recent years his scrummaging has really developed and I reckon he could give most TH's a good test and will hold hi sown fine against the best. The carries and turnovers he makes are invaluable for Ireland and Leinster particularly with SOB out.

c'mon man...

And Healy's temperament thing, ppl here make it sound like he punches a guy every 20min per game. Obviously his qualities make us easily overlook that small aspect of his presence on the field...
And let's just make this (as) simple (as it is). It's either Healy or Beast right now.

Domingo needs to get back up there to be considered coz he sure ain't right now. Corbs has been out for 17 years and nobody should vote for him as these threads are obviously BASED on current form - unless the player is a veteran we've seen at work for a decade.

I do think though on the side it's perfectly ridiculous Azzurri de Marchi doesn't even get a nod initially or a mention later as he could very well become a Top 3 LH in the near future.

And with the rule changes right now, Vincent Debaty most definitely should be part of the conversation. With the changes in the scrum, he's actually making a big impact in the scrum (as it really seems the new rules are heavily favoring larger specimens and limited the smaller frames) and has pushed a few guys back just recently there, and his ability to carry and his footspeed for a 1m90 128kg prop is unique, probably ever in test Rugby.

Cian Healy way out in front is a surprise to me.

I'd have thought it a four-way toss up between Ayerza, Mtawarira, Woodcock and Domingo as the best scrummigers. Maybe I just havn't watched enough games featuring Ireland but I can't say that I've ever rated the Irish scrum as a strong point of theirs but has it improved that much under the new engagement sequence? My ignorance regarding NH props is showing then I suppose.
I know a guy like Coenie Oosthuizen was always handy in open play but attracted a lot of penalties at the scrum but the new sequence suits his huge frame much better so I could understand that if Healy is that type of player?

Ireland's scrum is probably at the point where they can expect to get parity with a shot against domination against virtually everyone. Its been that way for a while, the Ireland scrum held Wales in the Six Nations in 2013 - so that was Healy vs Jones, which in NH terms is about as tough a challenge as he will face. I don't think he's a dominant scrummager, if the conversation was about best scrummager then he'd be a little on the edges, but he's enough in it to count and he is very good in the loose.

For me, best loosehead right now comes down to Ayerza, Corbisiero and Healy. Which I accept is a very NH-biased choice... but Woodcock is explicitly not on it. I will admit a blind spot as to whether Mtawarira should be on it, I haven't seen enough of him recently, but what I have hasn't impressed me.

And as Ewis said, Di Marchi should be part of the conversation too.

Healy was very impressive against Adam Jones in Dublin this year. I don't think people have mentioned this enough. And Ireland had the best scrum, statistically, in the 6N. On one hand, England were missing their first choice on both ends of the front row, and France has had its struggles even against Scotland under the new rules so Ireland did benefit from lack of form; but on the other hand they faced Wales up front fair and square and applied lots of pressure there, and even looked dominant at times.
I'm actually very surprised to read those stats for the match right now...:

Scrums on own feed:
Ireland 4 won, 2 lost.
Wales 4 won, 0 lost.

And as Ewis said, Di Marchi should be part of the conversation too.
i agree with that for his first six nations matches (i think this years six nations was his first) has been good in the scrums and i remember him against scotland he put moray low under alot off pressure and made him give away penalty's. i also want to give a mention to Ryan Grant i think he is a strong scrummager i think he should be in the British and Irish lions in the first place and not a late entry.

He's also good in the loose, and one of the most mobile LH's atm at test level. He can make a nice run every once in a while.
Here's the only tribute vid I found on YouTube. Skip to 1m40, the beginning footage is fkn useless:

At 4:20 he DESTROYS Census.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's also good in the loose, and one of the most mobile LH's atm at test level. He can make a nice run every once in a while.
Here's the only tribute vid I found on YouTube. Skip to 1m40, the beginning footage is fkn useless:

At 4:20 he DESTROYS Census.

italy needs more players like him especially for the tighthead when Castrogiovanni retires

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts