• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF and HB Studios - Rugby 2012 update #1

A bit late into this one but would it be fair to assume that anyone how would download this game off a torrent wouldn't buy it in a shop anyway?? Not too familiar with online Gaming on PC (xBox live or PSN are my areas of expertise) but a torrent version would be useless if you are to include a one off activation code with every hard copy??
People will get around it,
Once upon a time Adobe Photoshop came with a usb dongle so you could only use it by plugging in the USB dongle that came with the disc, but people got around it

Just read the initial Q/A with the developers and on the issue of budget, i know its not comparable but PES in the early day made a brilliant game focusing more on superplayability (not a word, i know) and the masses often just ignored the lack of licenses, given there are adequate avenues for in-game editing. Lets hope 2012 has more of a editing section than 08 had.

it would be call if we could have a mode to be a player and have our own career (bit like be a pro)

I agree with T-Raz. I'm also jealous of him for having the appearance of a stuffed horse.

It baffles me that licenses seem to be so vital to folk. Authenticity is about game physics for me, and where money, and therefore licensing fall short in game - it's often not long before some comprehensive mod is created to scratch that itch. PES, as mentioned, is a good case in the file. The best versions of the series all came before they had more than a handful of official rights to names, kits etc. Begging for licenses, and subsequently only investing in a game that carries them, is, in my weighty opinion, a sure fire way to distort the priorities of game developers.

Please see my post on another thread for an update on the rugby game that I am making - 'Super Cool and Awesome Rugby', or SCAR. It's going to blow everybody away.

FIFA says hi.

FIFA is the best case in the file that supports my argument. It only became a credible game in it's own right in the last 2/3 years, in part because the bar had been raised by Konami with PES. They are both accomplished games now, but EA were selling millions of copies when their games were very mediocre, because people are generally just seduced by the 'official' stamps that are lazily plastered all over it.
I appreciate that it comes down to personal preference to some extent - some people are happy to invest in a stinky poo - as long as it's an accurately rendered model of their favourite stinky poo, and it wearing the official 11/12 season stinky poo town home shirt. I'm stirred more by inner beauty (which is lucky, because I'm physically quite the eyesore).
If a developer producing a sports game decided to sacrafice, say, the £2 million they were due to spend chasing licenses, and throw it into making an original and exciting game engine, they would get my support. No-one elses though, it seems, because you're all slightly shallow.

Nah, I'm with you there KingsHolmKid. I'd be happy if they scrap the whole licensing thing and focus on the gameplay. Even if they make teams full of dummies with no logos or faces, the modders will be quick on the game to fix it.

But the problem is that this game does not have to sell only to us, the fans. Something in the game has to be pretty enough to gain the attention of other folks that aren't necessarily into rugby games. That's why the earlier Rugby releases along with FIFA had real players on the cover of the box, to catch the looks of people who are rugby fans but never played it as a video game. Imagine that for us it would have been enough to write rugby on the cover and we'd buy it anyway.

You're not wrong.

I'll change the way people think when I'm President Of The World.

FIFA is the best case in the file that supports my argument. It only became a credible game in it's own right in the last 2/3 years, in part because the bar had been raised by Konami with PES. They are both accomplished games now, but EA were selling millions of copies when their games were very mediocre, because people are generally just seduced by the 'official' stamps that are lazily plastered all over it.
I appreciate that it comes down to personal preference to some extent - some people are happy to invest in a stinky poo - as long as it's an accurately rendered model of their favourite stinky poo, and it wearing the official 11/12 season stinky poo town home shirt. I'm stirred more by inner beauty (which is lucky, because I'm physically quite the eyesore).
If a developer producing a sports game decided to sacrafice, say, the £2 million they were due to spend chasing licenses, and throw it into making an original and exciting game engine, they would get my support. No-one elses though, it seems, because you're all slightly shallow.

That's kinda what I meant. There's a history of licensed games selling better. Right now in my honest opinion they should attempt to get as many important licenses as possible, little kiddies will flock and buy that game with their favourite rugby player. We're the hardcore fans here, their main audience should be the more casual market, people who don't really give a **** that the game sucks, but get to destroy other teams with Dan Carter, or Quade Cooper. Use that money to slowly improve and be arguably better than the unlicensed game. Just like FIFA.

Last edited:
The difference btween this forum and Rugby challenges is Scary! Honestly guys u have to agree there.Licenses are very important and so is gameplay...so ill say if you want real good gameplay and bad features get 2012...if you want good featurs and great licensin get challenge

just got some news updates...hb studios rugby 2012 wont be released this year but next year 2012 due to licence. Until the licence with rugby challenge sidhe ends next year, HB will have exclusive licence to a great variety of rugby teams including all Northern Hemisphere teams and competions also with Super Rugby and all International teams. I believe ( not sure/suspect) that ea sports might be in the picture due to a great demand of a rugby game from especially Europe and Internationally, there are now movies made about rugby and is one of the fastest growing sports worldwide especially in USA. It is going to be a real good game, I was a bit critical and impatient with hb no updates and all but now I actually can wait till next year because this rugby 2012" is gonna be biblical"..Dont worry HB, Take your time.

How do you know this bit of info....No ones gonna buy Rugby 2012 if Rugby challange is good. HB are losing the plot........

just got some news updates...hb studios rugby 2012 wont be released this year but next year 2012 due to licence. Until the licence with rugby challenge sidhe ends next year, HB will have exclusive licence to a great variety of rugby teams including all Northern Hemisphere teams and competions also with Super Rugby and all International teams. I believe ( not sure/suspect) that ea sports might be in the picture due to a great demand of a rugby game from especially Europe and Internationally, there are now movies made about rugby and is one of the fastest growing sports worldwide especially in USA. It is going to be a real good game, I was a bit critical and impatient with hb no updates and all but now I actually can wait till next year because this rugby 2012" is gonna be biblical"..Dont worry HB, Take your time.

I, like navi don't follow your logic, firstly how do you get these sort of wild claims, do you work for HB or EA sports? and also how do explain the things that have come out recently like the video (with grass). If this is true HB are stupid as we don't know if Sidhe has a licence to any Northern hemisphere competitions or the RWC. This is ample opportunity even if they don't have licensing to show they can make a great rugby game and that could pull licences to them. I think your just one of those people who make up rumours, I mean honestly why would a developer work 3/4 of a year or whatever and then decide "hey you know what guys we've done really great work but umm... we can't finish making a game because we don't have the licence'. They would just do what they did in previous games and change things slightly.

Ignore davepraz, he's been trolling the 2012 forum for a while now. Everything he just said is fictitious.

i just hope as much attention is given to the southern hemisphere teams and players as is the northern ones. for example in the last game phil waugh was on the starting side for the wallabies, and his replacement (a star player) george smith's positions went primary:second row, secondary:number eight and alternative: flanker. i also noticed in the last game that to show that you have won the ball at the ruck a player dived over and blocked it off. a bit silly. but again, hopefully the new ruck mechanics rid us of old hiccups such as that.

i am super keen for this game and hope that it can be more realistic and user friendly than the last one. CHEERS!!

Latest posts