• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I'm actually surprized that Munster signed 2 saffas that are already capped for SA to be honest. I thought they look for the uncapped guys who was overlooked at some stage for the boks...
Dude all I'm trying to say is that Rassie had a hand in this! Obviously it's one of the disadvantages SA have but it's just a bit mental to me that the DoR is influencing which foreign club a player signs for. Pragmatic from Rassie, and with SA's player base it's nothing to worry about, but it is an oddity in the current landscape of trying to keep players at home.

Probably good news for Pro14 teams, if they were clever they'd be offering Saffas contracts with a cap on the number of games they play in a season!

UzRaI6x.png

Get it guys? Cause they're poachers?

3fbvit.jpg

Dude all I'm trying to say is that Rassie had a hand in this! Obviously it's one of the disadvantages SA have but it's just a bit mental to me that the DoR is influencing which foreign club a player signs for. Pragmatic from Rassie, and with SA's player base it's nothing to worry about, but it is an oddity in the current landscape of trying to keep players at home.

Probably good news for Pro14 teams, if they were clever they'd be offering Saffas contracts with a cap on the number of games they play in a season!

The de Allende rumour did the rounds well before the rwc (march/April). I can see why sending players to a pro14 team is a lot more attractive to the likes of Erasmus. Less brutal game but decent quality at the top end (derby's and euro games). Plus with SA teams in the pro14 I'd suspect this comes with a lot more blessing.

Both would be phenomenal signings hopefully we get it over the line. I can understand the logic from irfu. Neither really standing in the way of any high quality young lad. Holland to retire probably. Maybe Arnold and bleedingballs too. Plus our entire squad would be Irish qualified by that point.
I'd assume they come with lots of terms and conditions for the next lions tour. Good for the league too. The more high quality stars with young up n comers the better.

Saints rumored to be signing Kpoku and Dombrandt.
Exter rumored to be signing Malins

Tigers won't have cap space but I would imagine they will be freeing up a good chunk next year.
I wouldnt complain at getting malins we need some skill in our back line. Would love us to go for tompkins too.

Great signings by Saints if true.

Didn't think that loophole was still open...
Loophole is open for as long as rugby is in the olympics - it's a requirement of participation.
It means he has to leave it 3 (?) years after his last aussie cap, then play 2 (?) "olympic qualifying standard" 7s tournaments for his new country before he can be capped.
It's as difficult to renationalise as is possible under IOC regulations.
It's really not going to be worth it for a current international; more for those who've simply not been selected.

Loophole is open for as long as rugby is in the olympics - it's a requirement of participation.
It means he has to leave it 3 (?) years after his last aussie cap, then play 2 (?) "olympic qualifying standard" 7s tournaments for his new country before he can be capped.
It's as difficult to renationalise as is possible under IOC regulations.
It's really not going to be worth it for a current international; more for those who've simply not been selected.

it's actually a pretty loose standard compared to other team sports. Ice hockey requires a four year sit down and playing in the national competition of the new country for all of those four years. Must also be a citizen. Basketball doesn't allow people to switch countries, including olympics, so I don't get where you see that the IOC requires sports to allow players to switch countries.

it's actually a pretty loose standard compared to other team sports. Ice hockey requires a four year sit down and playing in the national competition of the new country for all of those four years. Must also be a citizen. Basketball doesn't allow people to switch countries, including olympics, so I don't get where you see that the IOC requires sports to allow players to switch countries.

Can't find anything on that.

Quite interested to see how they word it.

Surely they could make a rule saying that there's a minimum of whatever number years between a player representing multiple unions at senior international level whatever the circumstances?

Either way, you'd imagine this is just Kerevi putting pressure on Australia to change their rules.

IMO Aus should just embrace it like SA have.
Let the NH spend their money, and invest the saved cap elsewhere.

Also that NH could potentially help them a bit more v League.

Do Aus even have the money to afford their top level talent even if they do stay?

SA have shown though that players going abroad doesn't have to be a bad thing, forces the teams to develop more players for the national team.

So the rumour mill is saying George Ford hasn't renewed at Tigers before their self-imposed deadline (presumably wanted him to commit one way or the other so they could start shopping on Jan 1st when the market opens?).

Where's most likely for him to go? Back to Bath?

Think he'd do real well at Exeter, or maybe even Gloucester.

So the rumour mill is saying George Ford hasn't renewed at Tigers before their self-imposed deadline (presumably wanted him to commit one way or the other so they could start shopping on Jan 1st when the market opens?).

Where's most likely for him to go? Back to Bath?

Think he'd do real well at Exeter, or maybe even Gloucester.

Not 100% sure on how strong those rumours are.
Highly doubt we had a deadline so close after the Rugby world cup.

Now i'm not saying he isn't going but ford hasn't been in Leicester two weeks since then RWC.

That being said £450,000 should get us a good replacement.
Arguably one of the biggest problems for us has been the gap when he isn't here, and a debate is there over would a lesser 10 but a very solid consistent 10 who will be available all season be better?
Similar for Manu I guess.

Samu Kerevi wanting to switch to Fiji.

Would be a massive loss to Aus

I didn't realise he had signed a three year deal with Suntory Sun Goliath. You could make a case that Japan can already afford the best players in SANZAAR with that single signing, his annual wage will reportedly be 50% higher by playing in Japan.

He claims he was misquoted and having a laugh when talking about playing for Fiji. That's what we call an 'either/or' Samu! :p

Last edited:

Latest posts