• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This can't be correct surely, ANZC has exploded!

J

Jethro

1ZB, who ever the hell they are (snippet just sent to me), are stating the television and stadium audiences thus far in the ANZC have increased 88% over the similar figures for 2008. Any kiwis actually got the real figures, as that seems slightly to high by a margin for me.

Naturally Tew and Co, will have to do something drastic, we can't allow NZ Provincial rugby to get this popular.

I don't think it is quite that high, but it definetly has produced some very good games so far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Aug 31 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1ZB, who ever the hell they are (snippet just sent to me), are stating the television and stadium audiences thus far in the ANZC have increased 88% over the similar figures for 2008. Any kiwis actually got the real figures, as that seems slightly to high by a margin for me.

Naturally Tew and Co, will have to do something drastic, we can't allow NZ Provincial rugby to get this popular.[/b]

Would probably believe 88% after thinking about it. It's just under double the fans watching and going to the games. It does seem to be much more popular. Would be guessing it'd have something to do with four new teams being added a few years ago and now a fan base has built up around these teams, along with many watching Southland and the Bay fight valiant semi-final efforts last year and starting to believe anyone can do it.

It used to be that the NPC (as it was known), had 5-6 teams capable of winning it. Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago and some good years from North Harbour. This era through the early to mid 90's was awful for the fact that these teams only got stronger when professionalism came along in 1996. It's taken some re-structuring and some common sense, but eventually we've moved to a larger top pool with 14 teams, similar to the successful NRL formula. My understanding is that there is a salary cap style set-up with the unions too.

Finally after a few difficult years, things have been largely sorted out and we have an even, dynamic competition, with young talent coming through to an extent that even the NH clubs would have difficulty picking off whats coming through for future years.

So, guess what? They want to change it. The only thing this competition needs even more than the current resurgence of public interest is for teams to start making a profit, which could actually happen this year.

If I were Tew and his team of so-called administrative experts, I'd stop talking about chopping away teams...for now at least. Say to the public on the sports news that they could very well be saving the competitions format the way they are going and keep it up!

Who really want a return to the days of the 5-6 unions being in the hunt and the other unions being poached off? No way.

This competition is exciting because of Bay Of Plenty, Hawkes Bay, Southland, Manawatu and to a lesser extent Tasman. These colourful teams and personalities are proving they can turn up and fight anyone to the finish. That's all the public was asking for and now they are starting to get it.

People who bagged the NRL salary cap system, or don't like that there's a limit to the non-playing squad members you can have are probably getting a look at why an even competition is such a good thing. Several of Canterbury's NPC wins in the late last century and early this one seemed to be nothing more than chequebook victories and I am glad those days seem to be gone.

People don't mind watching David against Goliath. It's when you take David's sling away and give it to Goliath that people say "**** this! I'm not turning up to watch my team fall to what amounts to an orchestrated loss."

I believe those figures. The fact that the competition has raw players, is open and exciting all helps. Also with the tri nations not being very interesting/the AB's doing poorly. I still think the changes should go ahead. Just because the competition is good this year doesn't mean it will be continue to be good. The reduction of 4 teams will work well if the 4 worst teams are dismissed.

There are no four specific "worst teams". Who goes, Northland, Counties, Manawatu, Waikato, North Harbour, Taranaki, Tasman? They all have an even shot of finishing in the bottom four in this comp.

Would the british premier league of soccer be better with only 10 teams? No. NRL? No. NBA? No. 14 teams is a great number four our domestic game, so that players who come through out of smaller provinces like Aaron Cruden from Manawatu can get the exposure they deserve.

Of course I'd expect the "to hell with the smaller provinces" attitude from those in the major centres. They really hate it hate having the focus off them for five seconds.

"That's four provinces we could poach from, get rid of them!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Sep 1 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are no four specific "worst teams". Who goes, Northland, Counties, Manawatu, Waikato, North Harbour, Taranaki, Tasman? They all have an even shot of finishing in the bottom four in this comp.

Would the british premier league of soccer be better with only 10 teams? No. NRL? No. NBA? No. 14 teams is a great number four our domestic game, so that players who come through out of smaller provinces like Aaron Cruden from Manawatu can get the exposure they deserve.

Of course I'd expect the "to hell with the smaller provinces" attitude from those in the major centres. They really hate it hate having the focus off them for five seconds.

"That's four provinces we could poach from, get rid of them!"[/b]
If I had my way I would get rid of Otago, Harbour, Counties and Tasman. My province, Wellington, produces most of their own players, so I hope that jibe wasn't directed at me. I think it is pretty LOL worthy comparing the ANZC to the NBA or EPL. EPL has the whole world to get their talent from, the ANZC just has New Zealand and you have to take away the players gone overseas and the All Blacks as well. The way I see it 14 teams into 10 will provide us with 10 financially stable teams, with good facilities and good crowd figures. The teams should all be of high ability and provide for a great competition.

Smaller provinces will have the chance to earn the right to play in the top division through automatic promotion-relegation. Right now, a few of the teams at the bottom have hardly any chance of making the finals and have hardly anything to play for. Promotion-relegation means that every team even the ones at the bottom will have something to play for. It will make it a hell of a lot more interesting. Even the Heartland provinces can dream for ANZC and they have been very much forgotten about with the current ANZC format. And, after all, it works in the EPL.

The worst teams are not just judged on the competition placings. Things like finances should come into account, you need your teams to make money and actually produce good crowds. What's the point in having a team if no one enjoys them?

I reckon it's probably true because teams like Manawatu, Counties etc who are usually at the bottom of the table are now fighting for their lives to continue in the competition. I hope they don't drop any teams now because the Anz Cups going pretty good at the moment and everybodies enjoying it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 1 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Sep 1 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I had my way I would get rid of Otago, Harbour, Counties and Tasman. My province, Wellington, produces most of their own players, so I hope that jibe wasn't directed at me. I think it is pretty LOL worthy comparing the ANZC to the NBA or EPL. EPL has the whole world to get their talent from, the ANZC just has New Zealand and you have to take away the players gone overseas and the All Blacks as well. The way I see it 14 teams into 10 will provide us with 10 financially stable teams, with good facilities and good crowd figures. The teams should all be of high ability and provide for a great competition.

Smaller provinces will have the chance to earn the right to play in the top division through automatic promotion-relegation. Right now, a few of the teams at the bottom have hardly any chance of making the finals and have hardly anything to play for. Promotion-relegation means that every team even the ones at the bottom will have something to play for. It will make it a hell of a lot more interesting. Even the Heartland provinces can dream for ANZC and they have been very much forgotten about with the current ANZC format. And, after all, it works in the EPL.

The worst teams are not just judged on the competition placings. Things like finances should come into account, you need your teams to make money and actually produce good crowds. What's the point in having a team if no one enjoys them?
[/b][/quote]

Wellington are largely innocent of any charge of not developing their own talent nowadays. Although in the era of the 10 team NPC, they were as capable as anyone of plucking Div 2 teams or any other team for that matter. Even then, they were nowhere near the guiltiest, so yeah you have a point.

Still back then, Christian Cullen started out at Horowhenua-Kapati, then Manawatu, which is where he'd probably have stayed if they were Div 1, like they are now. Jonah Lomu, wasn't homegrown Wellington either. David Holwell, was a Northland man until Wellington got him. Don't get me wrong Southland aren't 100% innocent either, but the current stucture has made the playing field much more even. Teams like Hawkes Bay have some of the richest talent around over the years, but have been milked dry by many other teams. Now they have most of their own back, they have been very competitive, knocking over Auckland for one.

I couldn't care less if you think it's "LOL worthy" that I compared competitions like EPL, NBA and NRL to the ANZC. It's not about the population, it's about the fact that competitions work better with those numbers of teams in a grade. Why not prune back further to follow your logic and just keep Auckland, Wellington, Waikato and Canterbury in a supreme grade of their own and have them play each other? After all, we don't have 1/4 the population of London in this country, let alone England, as you so cleverly pointed out in relation to my EPL comparison. We have 26 unions in the country, maybe they should dissolve down to a dozen or so due to our country being so small? Your argument holds no water on those grounds.

"Right now, a few of the teams at the bottom have hardly any chance of making the finals and have hardly anything to play for."

Now that's LOL worthy! 12 of the teams out of 14 have a mathematical chance of making it to the semi's from here. A 9 point spread covers them, with serveral rounds to go. 12 points covering the entire table. Any tabled competition will have teams that at a certain point of the season can't win, that's the same the world over, so your logic there is not sound either.

I think empathy is an emotion disappearing from society. The "have's", don't spare a thought for the "have nots" and so I guess it's easy to make a quick decision to flush four teams if your living in Wellington. Just remember though, I'd have the vast majority of the rugby people of all four of those provinces behind my opinion, so I'm not alone on that front.

Finally I'll say, yeah I think promotion relegation would be great if the top div was still 14 teams. Then the 2nd div teams could decide if they could financially afford to come up and have their promotion to the higher grade and more power to them if they can.

14 has gotten better each year, let's stick with an improving formula.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Sep 1 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 1 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Sep 1 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Wellington are largely innocent of any charge of not developing their own talent nowadays. Although in the era of the 10 team NPC, they were as capable as anyone of plucking Div 2 teams or any other team for that matter. Even then, they were nowhere near the guiltiest, so yeah you have a point.

Still back then, Christian Cullen started out at Horowhenua-Kapati, then Manawatu, which is where he'd probably have stayed if they were Div 1, like they are now. Jonah Lomu, wasn't homegrown Wellington either. David Holwell, was a Northland man until Wellington got him. Don't get me wrong Southland aren't 100% innocent either, but the current stucture has made the playing field much more even. Teams like Hawkes Bay have some of the richest talent around over the years, but have been milked dry by many other teams. Now they have most of their own back, they have been very competitive, knocking over Auckland for one.

I couldn't care less if you think it's "LOL worthy" that I compared competitions like EPL, NBA and NRL to the ANZC. It's not about the population, it's about the fact that competitions work better with those numbers of teams in a grade. Why not prune back further to follow your logic and just keep Auckland, Wellington, Waikato and Canterbury in a supreme grade of their own and have them play each other? After all, we don't have 1/4 the population of London in this country, let alone England, as you so cleverly pointed out in relation to my EPL comparison. We have 26 unions in the country, maybe they should dissolve down to a dozen or so due to our country being so small? Your argument holds no water on those grounds.

"Right now, a few of the teams at the bottom have hardly any chance of making the finals and have hardly anything to play for."

Now that's LOL worthy! 12 of the teams out of 14 have a mathematical chance of making it to the semi's from here. A 9 point spread covers them, with serveral rounds to go. 12 points covering the entire table. Any tabled competition will have teams that at a certain point of the season can't win, that's the same the world over, so your logic there is not sound either.

I think empathy is an emotion disappearing from society. The "have's", don't spare a thought for the "have nots" and so I guess it's easy to make a quick decision to flush four teams if your living in Wellington. Just remember though, I'd have the vast majority of the rugby people of all four of those provinces behind my opinion, so I'm not alone on that front.

Finally I'll say, yeah I think promotion relegation would be great if the top div was still 14 teams. Then the 2nd div teams could decide if they could financially afford to come up and have their promotion to the higher grade and more power to them if they can.

14 has gotten better each year, let's stick with an improving formula.
[/b][/quote]
You are taking what I said out of context. There is a complete difference between dropping four teams from the ANZC and dissolving some of 26 unions. I don't want that to happen and I don't want the four major centres to develop a super competition.

What you have decided is that I am from a big city so must obviously be anti the provinces. I do not see why getting rid of 4 teams means destroying the game in the provinces. If Wellington, Waikato, Canterbury and Auckland all struggled to make profits, got absolute **** crowds and were languishing near the bottom of the table then I think they should be relegated. I would be disappointed for Wellington but could not complain if fair criteria was used. From going through the teams (obviously without proper information) I have found the following to be the four worst teams overall.

Otago **** crowds, pinch players and only average on the field.
North Harbour Poor results so far this season and the area doesn't seem to really get in behind the team like you see with Manawatu.
Counties Get about 2,000 fans. Why should they keep a team if only 2000 people bother to turn up. To me, it looks like people don't really care about the team if they don't turn up.
Tasman The hardest one. Quite a few clubs down there still seem to be against the merge and they don't excel in any areas.

I don't wish to get rid of teams like Manawatu and Hawkes Bay who have changed the face of the competition for the better. I just don't like the under performing teams who are least supported. If a team wrongly goes down then that would be unfortunate. That team would still have the ability to get back up next year if they performed on the field. There, the NZRU would have no power to stop them.

The ANZC is working this year due to the dropping of four teams hanging over everyone's head, not so sure it will continue to be all wine and roses in 2010 with a retained 14 team competition. Would love to see it go from strength to strength and gradually replace the ******** S15 promises to be.

From what I can see Counties are pretty much gone and Tasman are probably right in the sights of the NZRU. The other two are anyone's choice imho.

The NZRU have declared the five S14 bases will stay up, hello court action. Like when they decided to drop Tasman and Northland there was no free and open view of the criteria being made to select teams. And the NZRU are throwing smoke screens up already, unions like HB, Manawatu etc are being compared to the Highlanders, uhmm shouldn't that be a comparison to Southland and Otago separately?

Still think bottom two teams go down, auto promotion/relegation from 2011 with a 12 team premier league. If they make it four then it should be the bottom four teams not some decision by the NZRU that is done behind closed doors.

The more I think about this the more I realise that there has to be a middle ground. 2 teams seems like an appropriate middle ground surely?

► If they have a problem with the length of the playing window, then split the comp into two pools and increase the number of playoffs teams.

► If they have an issue with the huge salary cost, then ONLY PAY THE SUPER 14 PLAYERS (who would be paid anyway) and all the rest are unpaid or on minimal retainers.

► If they MUST cut the competition, draw a line under 10th place, and all under it go down.

► If they must do things by "criteria" then PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD should count for 90% of the criteria, and the other 10% ca be all the other bullshit criteria combined.

► There has to be a meaningful competititon for the four that go down, and a "hands off the players" regulation so that the big five don't rape and pillage the four that go down.

I have designed a perfectly viable 14 team - two pool competition that would work like a charm and fit everything into 12 weeks, I sent it of with a formal proposal to the NZRU. Didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.

I'm at work at the moment. When I get home, I'll post it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 2 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
► If they have a problem with the length of the playing window, then split the comp into two pools and increase the number of playoffs teams.

► If they have an issue with the huge salary cost, then ONLY PAY THE SUPER 14 PLAYERS (who would be paid anyway) and all the rest are unpaid or on minimal retainers.

► If they MUST cut the competition, draw a line under 10th place, and all under it go down.

► If they must do things by "criteria" then PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD should count for 90% of the criteria, and the other 10% ca be all the other bullshit criteria combined.

► There has to be a meaningful competititon for the four that go down, and a "hands off the players" regulation so that the big five don't rape and pillage the four that go down.

I have designed a perfectly viable 14 team - two pool competition that would work like a charm and fit everything into 12 weeks, I sent it of with a formal proposal to the NZRU. Didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.

I'm at work at the moment. When I get home, I'll post it.[/b]
Your first point is interesting. The competition followed a similar format in '06. I'm imagining yours is like that but you have got rid of the repechage rounds. I thought the NZRU decided it didn't work and they have said now that they want everyone to play everyone else. I'm not against it being split up into two groups.

I don't agree with not paying players. The ANZC is a big commitment and far more serious then a semi-pro competition. The pro players who are doing it for a job would quickly become so much better then the non pro players. This would benefit the big provinces but not the smaller ones. I think the salary cap should be lowered and it should take up more of the cap to get players from outside your region. So if Wellington brought a player in who had been born and raised in Taranaki and payed him $50,000 this would count as $60,000 in the salary cap while the player only got $50,000. This would encourage teams to look in their provinces first. I don't know, it's just an idea.

To you, Ca Iversen, two teams seems better then 0 teams to me. Maybe each team could be ranked on 10 criteria and they need to get 5 to stay up. That way teams would not be going against other teams but competing against themselves.

The initial ANZC had teams not playing each other so the NZRU can hardly claim it's new and untried, mind you the system they came up with confused the hell out of people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 2 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm at work at the moment. When I get home, I'll post it.[/b]
Your first point is interesting. The competition followed a similar format in '06. I'm imagining yours is like that but you have got rid of the repechage rounds. I thought the NZRU decided it didn't work and they have said now that they want everyone to play everyone else. I'm not against it being split up into two groups.

I don't agree with not paying players. The ANZC is a big commitment and far more serious then a semi-pro competition. The pro players who are doing it for a job would quickly become so much better then the non pro players. This would benefit the big provinces but not the smaller ones. I think the salary cap should be lowered and it should take up more of the cap to get players from outside your region. So if Wellington brought a player in who had been born and raised in Taranaki and payed him $50,000 this would count as $60,000 in the salary cap while the player only got $50,000. This would encourage teams to look in their provinces first. I don't know, it's just an idea.

To you, Ca Iversen, two teams seems better then 0 teams to me. Maybe each team could be ranked on 10 criteria and they need to get 5 to stay up. That way teams would not be going against other teams but competing against themselves.
[/b][/quote]

Well regarding it being 12 rather than 14, 12 is far more divisible when it comes to pool games and other arrangements as well, so maybe it might suit better. I know Counties deserve to go down and maybe Northland, but everyone else is starting to get their act together. Except maybe Otago, they are a Super 14 base and building a stadium, so I can't see them being booted over having two bad seasons. Still, dicey times for them too.

OK, so as promised, here is my plan to keep the ANZC at 14 teams

THE AIR NEW ZEALAND CUP

A PROPOSAL FOR A NEW FOURTEEN TEAM FORMAT

INTRODUCTION
"How can we keep the existing fourteen teams in playing in the Premier Division of our National Provincial Championship, while addressing the issues of salary payments to players, as well as the restricted window of twelve weeks created by the expansion of Super 14 to Super 15? After several weeks of discussions with various groups, I have come up with this following format which I would like the NZRU to consider before cutting teams from the competition.

THE FORMAT
The competition to be run as a Cup Competition and a Plate Competition, with divisions to be determined by results and table positions from the round robin competition, which will then progress to a post-season finals series involving all teams

Round Robin Phase - Weeks 1 to 7

► The teams are to be divided into two Pools of seven teams.
► Each team plays six matches, one match against each team in their own Pool.
► An option for cross-pool matches is allowed for.
► This Phase will operate from Week One to Week Seven of the competition.
► Each team has a bye round if the cross-pool option is not used.
► When the Round Robin Phase concludes, the Post Season phase begins; the top six teams play for the Cup and the bottom eight teams play for Plate.

Optional Cross-Pool Matches

One of the areas of concern with a split pool competition is that a number of traditional or high revenue earning matches may not be played every year because the protagonists end up in different Pools. One way around this is for each team, rather than having a bye round, to play a cross pool match against the team in the other pool also not playing a match in their own pool. Careful manipulation of the draw could allow at least some of these traditional matches to be played. The table points and game points accumulated from these matches would count towards each team's own pools

Post Season Phase - Week 8
Top Six (Air NZ Cup)
► The 1st placed team in each pool have a week off, and progress to the Major semifinal in Week 9.
► The 2nd & 3rd placed teams play the Minor Semifinals. The 2nd placed teams in each Pool play at home against the 3rd placed teams in the other Pool.

Bottom Eight (Air NZ Plate???)
► These teams play a straight knockout Quarter-final series in week eight, with the 4th and 5th team in each Pool playing at their home ground against the 7th and 6th teams in the other Pool (respectively).

Post Season Phase - Week 9
ANZC Semi Finals
► Pool A winner plays at home v the winner of the Minor Semifinal B2 v A3
► Pool B winner plays at home v the winner of teh Minor Semifinal A2 v B3

ANZP Semi Finals
The highest Table points from Pool play determines home advantage, with points difference used in the event of a tie.
► Winner A4 v B7 plays winner B5 v A6
► Winner B4 v A7 player winner A5 v B6

Post Season Phase - Week 10

Finals
The highest Table points from Pool play determines home advantage, with points difference used in the event of a tie.

DETERMINING THE POOLS
The playing Pools for each season of Air New Zealand Cup are determined from competition and table results of the previous season as follows
► The Winner of the Air New Zealand Cup – Pool 1
► The Runner Up of the Air New Zealand Cup – Pool 2
► The losing major semifinalist on the Runner Up's side of the draw – Pool 1
► The losing major semifinalist on the Winner's side of the draw – Pool 2
► The remaining 10 teams are ranked 1 to 10 based on the their table points (then points difference in the event of ties). Odd numbers into Pool 1, even numbers into Pool 2

PAYING THE PLAYERS AND PROVINCIAL UNION RESPONSIBILITIES AND RIGHTS
► Members of the Current All Blacks squad would not normally play in this competition, but may do so at the request of the All Blacks' administration.
► Super 14/15 contracted players will play, but will be paid by the NZRU or their Super 14 franchise as appropriate.
► All other players will be amateur although they may be paid a retainer or salary for the duration of the competititon only.
► Each provincial Union will be responsible for arranging and paying for injury insurance for any Super 14/15 contracted players on their playing roster.
► Each Provincial Union is limited to no more than twelve Super 14/15 contracted players on their playing roster. This limit does not include players in the Super 14/15 Franchise's wider training squads
► A Salary Cap will be enforced
► If current All Blacks play at the request of the NZRU or All Blacks management, they are exempt from the salary cap

SALIENT POINTS
► Since there is a twelve-week window, and this format requires only 10 weeks, there is sufficient "slack" to allow for some bye rounds even if the "cross pool" option is taken.

► It is my belief that at least part of the competition could be run over the same time period as the Tri-Nations. The advantage of this would be that if there were injuries in the All Black squad, and any players need to be replaced, the player being called up is more likely to be match fit if he is playing in a good standard of rugby competition. Also, running the ANZC at the same time as the Tri-Nations would allow the All Black coach, at his discretion, to keep the non playing/non selected members of his squad "ticking over" with real matches.

► The total number of matches in this format of the Air NZ Cup is

Round Robin matches....42
Post Season matches....12
SUB TOTAL…...................64
Plus Cross Pool matches. 7
TOTAL ................. 71 over 10 weeks

This compares with:

14 team with 8 team playoffs 70 + 7 = 77
9 teams with 4 team playoffs 36 + 3 = 39
10 teams with 4 team playoffs 45 + 3 = 48
11 teams with 4 team playoffs 55 + 3 = 58
12 teams with 4 team playoffs 66 + 3 = 69

CONCLUSION
I believe this format is worth considering. The expulsion of teams like Tasman, Manawatu, Counties and Northland will seriously damage the game in those areas; damage that they will struggle to recover from. We are not in a position where we can afford to alienate these people from the game

I realise that there are a lot more details that would need to be worked out, but in my opinion, it is a worthwhile proposal. The format could be made to meet all of the financial and playing window criteria that are causing the NZRU to feel they need to reduce the Nation's Premier Rugby Championship to 10 teams. I believe that having a ten-team Premier division, and then having the additional cost of creating a meaningful competition for the four who get axed, complete with its own organisation and structure, will cost more than simply splitting the existing 14 teams into two pools and running it over a shorter period..

See you are talking too much sense there smartcooky, something the NZRU apparently don't have much of

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) faces a public backlash of calamitous proportions if it goes ahead with announced changes to next year's provincial competition format.

Momentum is gathering in the provinces among some unions, supporters and the rugby media for the NZRU to scrap those changes or face the consequences.

The Air New Zealand Cup (ANZC) is enjoying unprecedented popularity this season and is proving to be one of the most competitive and evenly fought since the old NPC was established in 1976.

Crowd numbers are generally well up, and television viewing audiences were up more than 86 percent after four rounds. On a Sky Reunion programme poll conducted this week, more than 70 percent voted for the ANZC competition to remain unchanged. The quality of rugby has been excellent, the All Blacks are keen to play whenever they get an opportunity and several exciting new players have been unearthed.

New teams Tasman, Counties Manukau, Hawke's Bay and Manawatu have taken time to get up to speed onfield, but now, four years down the track, they are more than matching it with the big boys. On their day, any team can beat the other, as has been proven so far in 2009. The Heartland competition kicked off in similar exciting fashion last week.

Tasman, Northland and Counties Manukau, who struggled financially in the initial stages of the ANZC, have now cut their cloth to fit and are keeping their heads above water.

Under the changes already approved and being actioned for 2010, the top premier division will comprise 10 teams. Four will drop out of the current 14 team competition to form a first division, effectively a second division, which will also include two promoted Heartland teams, making a six-team division.

The problem is that the Heartland teams have little chance of being competitive. Also, if Tasman or Manawatu were demoted, most of their best now almost entirely home-grown players would leave for premier unions.

Under a list of criteria to remain in the premier division, onfield performance is only a 20 percent factor and that, like the other criteria, is judged over the past four years. What is the relevance of four years ago? Everyone is in a better position now, on and off the field.

The Heartland competition will comprise 10 teams. Promotion relegation of up to two teams is an option being considered.

The changes were adopted after a series of workshops involving New Zealand's 26 provincial unions, Super 14 franchises and the New Zealand Rugby Players Association.

Ad Feedback The main reasons for change given by NZRU chairman Jock Hobbs were that the current format was not financially sustainable and the competition could not be completed in a reduced playing window next year.

However, all the unions we spoke to say they would be financially sustainable with a lower salary cap.

Tasman Rugby Union chief executive Peter Barr is adamant that the current 14 team format should stay, but thinks the salary cap should be lowered from $2.2 million to $800,000. He said the biggest problem under the current salary cap was that players at the lower end of the ability scale were getting paid too much.

As for the issue of not being able to fit a 14-team competition into an abbreviated window, Barr said, "That was agreed by all provincial unions and I didn't have a problem with that. That's long enough for rugby. The only way we could accommodate 14 teams is to play midweek games. Big unions didn't want that."

Hawke's Bay and former Marlborough chief executive Mike Bishop feels there is no logic to the competition changes and doesn't see how the NZRU can boot teams out who have spent huge amounts of money on infrastructure to play in the ANZC. He doesn't believe promotion relegation will be automatic and can't see how a Heartland team or any team in the second tier would get back up to premier division and be competitive once demoted.

Bishop said the excitement generated in Hawke's Bay over the past three years because of what the ANZC has done is something to behold. He is sure a way can be found to accommodate 14 teams in the required window.

Northland Rugby Union chairman Andrew Golightly, like Barr, knows what it feels like to be kicked out of the top division, as both were last year until the NZRU did an about turn and reinstated them.

Golightly said his union was always of the view that 14 teams was the preference and his union could sustain itself financially. He said if Northland was relegated, it would impact on them financially, although he's not sure how badly.

With Super rugby expanding, bigger squads would be needed and Golightly said teams such as Northland developed players for that. He also doesn't see how a meaningful second-division competition would work if four teams were demoted.

Manawatu chief executive John Knowles has no doubts about his province's ability to foot it under the current format, but would like to see the All Blacks taken out of the competition.

Southland chief executive Roger Clark insisted that Southland was sustainable under the current format and if the salary cap was lowered, they would be even better off. He doesn't think mid-week games would be accepted by the players' association, but would like to see the status quo remain as long as unions were financial viable.

Clark pointed to all the good emerging talent being produced by the likes of Tasman and Manawatu. "From a purely rugby perspective, it doesn't seem to be broken at the moment."

Counties Manukau chief Phil McConnell said his union was never in favour of changing the current format and he doesn't believe the proposed second division will be a meaningful competition.

Bay of Plenty chief Jeremy Curragh said his union was now living within its means and believed there was an obligation for unions to do that. He would love to see 14 teams remain in the ANZC and acknowledged this is a fantastic competition, but felt the NZRU cannot afford that many teams taking part. "We are doing everything we can to stay in the top 10."

NZRU rugby manager Neil Sorensen said the biggest problem with the current 14 team format was fitting it into the shortened window. He said the expanded Super competition has taken up the space, and a 10 team format was the only way they can achieve everything the non-Super 14 unions wanted. The NZRU is working on trying to get the salary cap lowered, Sorensen agreeing that about $800,000 would be ideal if they could achieve that.

He said the NZRU had to make the division one (below premier) competition work and were currently working on an affordable player payment model alongside the players' association.

Sorensen insisted players would not lose money if their team was dropped out of premier division and it would not hinder their chances of higher honours.

Just when New Zealand rugby needed a boost of interest and enthusiasm, they've got it in the form of the ANZC. Why would the NZRU now want to change it again and risk alienating supporters? Come to think of it, why did they change the old three-division NPC format in the first place in 2006?

Source : stuffnz[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Sep 3 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
See you are talking too much sense there smartcooky, something the NZRU apparently don't have much of

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) faces a public backlash of calamitous proportions if it goes ahead with announced changes to next year's provincial competition format.

Momentum is gathering in the provinces among some unions, supporters and the rugby media for the NZRU to scrap those changes or face the consequences.

The Air New Zealand Cup (ANZC) is enjoying unprecedented popularity this season and is proving to be one of the most competitive and evenly fought since the old NPC was established in 1976.

Crowd numbers are generally well up, and television viewing audiences were up more than 86 percent after four rounds. On a Sky Reunion programme poll conducted this week, more than 70 percent voted for the ANZC competition to remain unchanged. The quality of rugby has been excellent, the All Blacks are keen to play whenever they get an opportunity and several exciting new players have been unearthed.

New teams Tasman, Counties Manukau, Hawke's Bay and Manawatu have taken time to get up to speed onfield, but now, four years down the track, they are more than matching it with the big boys. On their day, any team can beat the other, as has been proven so far in 2009. The Heartland competition kicked off in similar exciting fashion last week.

Tasman, Northland and Counties Manukau, who struggled financially in the initial stages of the ANZC, have now cut their cloth to fit and are keeping their heads above water.

Under the changes already approved and being actioned for 2010, the top premier division will comprise 10 teams. Four will drop out of the current 14 team competition to form a first division, effectively a second division, which will also include two promoted Heartland teams, making a six-team division.

The problem is that the Heartland teams have little chance of being competitive. Also, if Tasman or Manawatu were demoted, most of their best now almost entirely home-grown players would leave for premier unions.

Under a list of criteria to remain in the premier division, onfield performance is only a 20 percent factor and that, like the other criteria, is judged over the past four years. What is the relevance of four years ago? Everyone is in a better position now, on and off the field.

The Heartland competition will comprise 10 teams. Promotion relegation of up to two teams is an option being considered.

The changes were adopted after a series of workshops involving New Zealand's 26 provincial unions, Super 14 franchises and the New Zealand Rugby Players Association.

Ad Feedback The main reasons for change given by NZRU chairman Jock Hobbs were that the current format was not financially sustainable and the competition could not be completed in a reduced playing window next year.

However, all the unions we spoke to say they would be financially sustainable with a lower salary cap.

Tasman Rugby Union chief executive Peter Barr is adamant that the current 14 team format should stay, but thinks the salary cap should be lowered from $2.2 million to $800,000. He said the biggest problem under the current salary cap was that players at the lower end of the ability scale were getting paid too much.

As for the issue of not being able to fit a 14-team competition into an abbreviated window, Barr said, "That was agreed by all provincial unions and I didn't have a problem with that. That's long enough for rugby. The only way we could accommodate 14 teams is to play midweek games. Big unions didn't want that."

Hawke's Bay and former Marlborough chief executive Mike Bishop feels there is no logic to the competition changes and doesn't see how the NZRU can boot teams out who have spent huge amounts of money on infrastructure to play in the ANZC. He doesn't believe promotion relegation will be automatic and can't see how a Heartland team or any team in the second tier would get back up to premier division and be competitive once demoted.

Bishop said the excitement generated in Hawke's Bay over the past three years because of what the ANZC has done is something to behold. He is sure a way can be found to accommodate 14 teams in the required window.

Northland Rugby Union chairman Andrew Golightly, like Barr, knows what it feels like to be kicked out of the top division, as both were last year until the NZRU did an about turn and reinstated them.

Golightly said his union was always of the view that 14 teams was the preference and his union could sustain itself financially. He said if Northland was relegated, it would impact on them financially, although he's not sure how badly.

With Super rugby expanding, bigger squads would be needed and Golightly said teams such as Northland developed players for that. He also doesn't see how a meaningful second-division competition would work if four teams were demoted.

Manawatu chief executive John Knowles has no doubts about his province's ability to foot it under the current format, but would like to see the All Blacks taken out of the competition.

Southland chief executive Roger Clark insisted that Southland was sustainable under the current format and if the salary cap was lowered, they would be even better off. He doesn't think mid-week games would be accepted by the players' association, but would like to see the status quo remain as long as unions were financial viable.

Clark pointed to all the good emerging talent being produced by the likes of Tasman and Manawatu. "From a purely rugby perspective, it doesn't seem to be broken at the moment."

Counties Manukau chief Phil McConnell said his union was never in favour of changing the current format and he doesn't believe the proposed second division will be a meaningful competition.

Bay of Plenty chief Jeremy Curragh said his union was now living within its means and believed there was an obligation for unions to do that. He would love to see 14 teams remain in the ANZC and acknowledged this is a fantastic competition, but felt the NZRU cannot afford that many teams taking part. "We are doing everything we can to stay in the top 10."

NZRU rugby manager Neil Sorensen said the biggest problem with the current 14 team format was fitting it into the shortened window. He said the expanded Super competition has taken up the space, and a 10 team format was the only way they can achieve everything the non-Super 14 unions wanted. The NZRU is working on trying to get the salary cap lowered, Sorensen agreeing that about $800,000 would be ideal if they could achieve that.

He said the NZRU had to make the division one (below premier) competition work and were currently working on an affordable player payment model alongside the players' association.

Sorensen insisted players would not lose money if their team was dropped out of premier division and it would not hinder their chances of higher honours.

Just when New Zealand rugby needed a boost of interest and enthusiasm, they've got it in the form of the ANZC. Why would the NZRU now want to change it again and risk alienating supporters? Come to think of it, why did they change the old three-division NPC format in the first place in 2006?

Source : stuffnz[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Well large chunks of that I'd said as well in my earlier posts. As for Smartcooky's idea? Absolutely spot on. Two Pools of seven. Simple.

I'd make it a slightly different finals proposal though. I'd have the top team from each pool straight away go to a home semi, whilst team three plays team two (who'd have the home game) to qualify for the semi.

The qualifying semi-finalist (winner of 2nd vs third place) would play the top qualifier from the other pool in a semi. That's the only way I'd change it. Makes a 6 team finals system work clearly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Sep 3 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well large chunks of that I'd said as well in my earlier posts. As for Smartcooky's idea? Absolutely spot on. Two Pools of seven. Simple.

I'd make it a slightly different finals proposal though. I'd have the top team from each pool straight away go to a home semi, whilst team three plays team two (who'd have the home game) to qualify for the semi.

The qualifying semi-finalist (winner of 2nd vs third place) would play the top qualifier from the other pool in a semi. That's the only way I'd change it. Makes a 6 team finals system work clearly.[/b]

Perhaps I haven't explained it well enough but what you are suggesting appears to be the same as what I have suggested, so here is a mock scenario that might make it clearer

An example competition:
How a competition would look based on the results of the 2008 Air New Zealand Cup

POOL A
Canterbury
Southland
Bay of Plenty
Tasman
Northland
Auckland
Counties

POOL B
Wellington
Hawkes Bay
Waikato
Taranaki
Otago
North Harbour
Manawatu

POOL A FINAL TABLE
1. Canterbury.....23
2. Bay of Plenty..19
3. Southland.......17
4. Auckland.........13
5. Tasman...........12
6. Counties.........10
7. Northland.........9

POOL B FINAL TABLE
1. Waikato..........24
2. Wellington......17
3. Taranaki..........16
4. Hawkes Bay....15
5. Nth Harbour....12
6. Otago..............10
7. Manawatu.........8

Minor Semifinals â€" week 8
CUP Minor SF1:...Bay of Plenty v Taranaki at Baypark Stadium
CUP Minor SF2:...Wellington v Southland at Westpact Trust Stadium
PLATE QF1:.........Auckland v Manawatu at Eden Park
PLATE QF2:.........Tasman v Otago at Trafalgar Park
PLATE QF3:.........Hawkes Bay v Northland at McLean Park
PLATE QF4:.........North Harbour v Counties at NH Stadium

Assuming home teams win

Major Semifinals â€" week 9
CUP Major SF1:........Canterbury v Wellington at AMI Stadium
CUP Major SF2:........Waikato v Bay of Plenty at Waikato Stadium
PLATE SF1:...............Auckland* v North Harbour at Eden Park
PLATE SF2:...............Hawkes Bay* v Tasman at Mclean Park
* Hawkes Bay & Auckland at home due to higher pool placing

Grand Final weekend - week 10
CUP FINAL:..............Waikato* v Canterbury at Waikato Stadium
* Both teams won their Pools, but Waikato at home due to higher table points.

PLATE FINAL............Hawkes Bay* v Auckland
* Both teams 4th in Pools, but Hawkes bay at home due to higher table points.

Latest posts