• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Seen an article in the Belfast Telegraph claiming that Stuart Hogg may be Irish qualified.... Anybody know how that could be possible?

Whether he's qualified through birth or whatever wouldn't matter since he's capped for Scotland he's NIQ

Ludik signs for 2 years, no Hogg then....

Will there be anymore signings this year? Think they still need someone in the backrow with ferris not looking good

Ludik signs for 2 years, no Hogg then....

Will there be anymore signings this year? Think they still need someone in the backrow with ferris not looking good

Humphries said it's the last NIQ​ signing of this season. So I'd expect someone IQ.

It's a useful signing for Ulster. They've now got tremendous strength in depth in the backs. What does it mean for Ulster's backline alignment?

I'd suggest having Louis Ludik as backup fullback behind Jared Payne is the best use of resources. Ludik will get his game time while Payne, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy and Andrew Trimble are being rotated/on Ireland duty. Let Stuart Olding, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave and Stuart McCloskey fight it out for the centre spots.

Humphries said it's the last NIQ​ signing of this season. So I'd expect someone IQ.

Subtle difference BG8 - he said "last non Irish eligible"...

Now, whether that actually means there is another project in the works or not....

are we not looking at a AIB fella from dublin called butterworth in the back row?

It's a useful signing for Ulster. They've now got tremendous strength in depth in the backs. What does it mean for Ulster's backline alignment?

I'd suggest having Louis Ludik as backup fullback behind Jared Payne is the best use of resources. Ludik will get his game time while Payne, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy and Andrew Trimble are being rotated/on Ireland duty. Let Stuart Olding, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave and Stuart McCloskey fight it out for the centre spots.

I would agree with that but Anscombe has openly said that Payne sees himself as a 13 and that he, Anscombe agrees. I am not a fan of the idea but I don't think there's any prizes for guessing how that ends.

The Sharks fans I've talked to largely seem to be of the opinion that Ludik would force Payne out of the 13 shirt anyway.

11-15 we are now absurdly, absurdly strong. A presumed second choice of Gilroy, Olding, Cave, Allen, Andrew is arguably better than virtually any other Pro 12 team has starting and that might look stronger at the end of the season for the use of Scholes and McCloskey somewhere. Crazy to think that most of the brightest prospects (that I've heard of anyway) coming up are outside backs as well - Busby, Stockdale, Owens, Adair. If only Ulster could **** out numbers 1-10 like is happening with 11-15...

To be honest I'd probably argue Olding / Cave is stronger than Marshall / Payne. For a second choice back line that really is extremely strong, Andrew the obvious weakness but with 2 full backs in the first team either of them could easily slot in.

Is is it getting to the point though were we have too much depth and players aren't going to receive enough game time that need it? Although, I'd imagine we'll have the most backs in the Ireland camp out of the 4 provinces now and could make a case for the inclusion of Marshall, Olding, Cave, Payne, Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy if he finds his form again.

Off topic a bit but can Leinster sell renaming rights of RDS for their game days. I reported on a seperate thread recently that finances in IRFU are seriously tight hence drop in quality of NIQ signings. The provinces now are trying hard to exploit every avenue of revenue. Musgrave Park and Ravenhill naming rights sold. Thomond Park under discussion too.

Leinster rent rather than own RDS, no? Not theirs to sell.

Reported figure is 500k a year from Kingspan, which isn't to be sniffed at. Some of the money being earmarked for the academy - or so I've read.

If Ulster can get continually high attendances next season, they'll be in a very strong position financially - arguably the strongest in the British Isles along with Leicester. There's at least 3 NIQ contracts expiring in 2 years time (dunno about St Ruan), will be interesting to see who's brought in then.

Leinster rent rather than own RDS, no? Not theirs to sell.

Reported figure is 500k a year from Kingspan, which isn't to be sniffed at. Some of the money being earmarked for the academy - or so I've read.

If Ulster can get continually high attendances next season, they'll be in a very strong position financially - arguably the strongest in the British Isles along with Leicester. There's at least 3 NIQ contracts expiring in 2 years time (dunno about St Ruan), will be interesting to see who's brought in then.

Yes they rent hence why I said on their game days. As for comments about Ulster Peat, it's like Munster few years ago. Strong attendances but have balance of new stadium to pay off and profits go back to IRFU and then come back so it's not as clear cut as you'd think. Argubally when Munster won HEC Leinster and Ulster benefitted and Leinster victories benefitted is and Ulster.
Only clear cut way for revenue to be massive and not go direct to IRFUwhich I notice is the sale of merchandise and I wouldn't say Ulster are better than Munster/Leinster.
Regards â'¬500k it's about right as overall Munster are getting â'¬150k a year for Musgrave

The new stadium was paid for (mostly) by Stormont. Very few outstanding debts.

The new stadium was paid for (mostly) by Stormont. Very few outstanding debts.

Yes but from an IRFU point of view it's a central fund regards their profits and they have a debt from new gym it was reported which is state of art. But basic point is more money provinces make the better BUT 1 province will never be rich when others struggle

Latest posts