• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Reconstruction of Irish Rugby 2016

For christ's sake, Fitzgerald has been one of the most unluckiest players with regards to injury in Irish rugby over the last decade. This definitely changes the match day 23 considering he was guaranteed to be in the team (either in the XV or at 23). I can see us going with something along the lines of:
11. D Kearney
12. Henshaw
13. Payne
14. Trimble
15. R Kearney
22. Madigan
23. Earls

This isn't the team that I would go with but Schmidt picks his squad based on proven combinations and never makes any radical changes barring injury. Henshaw and Payne in the centre are defensively very, very strong and have a good amount of game time together. The back three are all hardworking, defensive players who will implement Schmidt's gameplan effectively. Madigan is a world class goal kicker which will be badly needed considering how tight the match will be, albeit he is all round a poor enough international 10. He can also cover 10 and 12. Earls can cover 11 and 14 effectively, is an average centre and has limited experience to cover full back. Henshaw can cover 12, 13 and 15. Payne can cover 13 and 15. McCloskey can't be at 23 considering he only covers 12. So in terms of versatility we're sorted. Don't like the look of that team but we need to win at all costs to get a decent world ranking for the RWC next year and to get some momentum going for the Championship.
With the options available (assuming Fitz is injured), I'd like to see something like:
11. D Kearney
12. McCloskey
13. Henshaw
14. Trimble
15. Payne
22. Jackson
23. Earls (unfortunately)

The above team is exciting with a centre partnership that could match Roberts/Davies in terms of physicality and an electric full back in Payne. However, it's fairly raw in terms of a new centre partnership that have never played together coming up against a world class centre partnership (with Henshaw playing only 6 games since the RWC) with a full back who has never played at 15 at international level (who has only played 3 games since the RWC) and Jackson (who has had a poor international career, although is in form recently) will more than likely see some game time considering how injury prone Sexton is. I wouldn't trust Jackson at all, despite how great he has been for Ulster. Then there's Earls, who I won't get into. Wouldn't like to see him come up against North (or Cuthbert where Earls just let Cuthbert walk in for a try in 2013, but Cuthbert won't be starting). As much as I'd love to see that team play against Wales, it's way too much of a risk and there are more important issues we have to tackle (our world ranking position). If we can finish in the top 3 this year, it will be a decent result considering our injury crisis. We have the summer, autumn and especially 6N 2017 to experiment a bit more with options. Although, most people can't see how important this year is and will just cry and whinge about Joe's conservatism and call for his head.

Luke you obviously dislike Earls a lot. As you'd say you mustn't watch much rugby it seems. and D. Kearney had horrific mistakes vs Arg in 2015 lol but again I look at guys on form but we won't get in to bias and that

Anyway bad break for Fitz. Luckily we do have alternatives and like so many others he wasn't guaranteed a spot in 23.
Interesting reading media and for first time a lot are questioning Schmidt and being conservative. It is interesting to see what reaction will come. I can't see Schmidt changing his style and wonder is this backlash from media over contract spins.

Have heard Herring is really being considered by Schmidt as 16.

Rumoured backline is
Murray
Sexton
Kearney
Henshaw
Payne
Earls
Kearney

Jackson at 10 with Sexton to 12 for a last 20mins was discussed too.

Big issue Easterby and co seem to be having too seems to be lineouts. We've lost a lot of height and jumpers. Toner will obviously be a marked man so creative moves will be needed to as well as smart calling.

Luke you obviously dislike Earls a lot. As you'd say you mustn't watch much rugby it seems. and D. Kearney had horrific mistakes vs Arg in 2015 lol but again I look at guys on form but we won't get in to bias and that

Anyway bad break for Fitz. Luckily we do have alternatives and like so many others he wasn't guaranteed a spot in 23.
Interesting reading media and for first time a lot are questioning Schmidt and being conservative. It is interesting to see what reaction will come. I can't see Schmidt changing his style and wonder is this backlash from media over contract spins.

Rumoured backline is
Murray
Sexton
Kearney
Henshaw
Payne
Earls
Kearney

Jackson at 10 with Sexton to 12 for a last 20mins was discussed too.

Big issue Easterby and co seem to be having too seems to be lineouts. We've lost a lot of height and jumpers. Toner will obviously be a marked man so creative moves will be needed to as well as smart calling.

I've seen a lot of Earls. He was pathetic against S Francais away but has been decent enough since then. D Kearney has been in great form for the last few months (you mustn't be looing at guy who are in form...jk). His footwork, agility and power have really come on. Yes he was pretty poor defensively against Argentina (although he made a great effort that almost denied Argentina their 3rd try) but we were missing POC, POM, SOB, Sexton and Payne who are all absolutely key to our defense (Sexton and Payne in particular).
Fitz was definitely in the 23. He has been one of the best players in Irish rugby over the last few years and has been in great form at centre in particular which gives him so much versatility.
Schmidt shouldn't change his style drastically for this 6N campaign as there's way too much at stake.
Can't see Schmidt looking past Trimble at all. Schmidt loves Trimble more than D Kearney. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Trimble/Kearney combo or Trimble/Earls.
Easterby hasn't been great since he's come in. Provided that we've lost Plumtree, POC, Henderson and POM, our lineout will be under serious pressure with Charteris and AWJ competing in the air. Our maul is nothing compared to how good it was back in 2014. We have to have a fair few tricks up our sleeves to gain parity at the lineout

I've seen a lot of Earls. He was pathetic against S Francais away but has been decent enough since then. D Kearney has been in great form for the last few months (you mustn't be looing at guy who are in form...jk). His footwork, agility and power have really come on. Yes he was pretty poor defensively against Argentina (although he made a great effort that almost denied Argentina their 3rd try) but we were missing POC, POM, SOB, Sexton and Payne who are all absolutely key to our defense (Sexton and Payne in particular).
Fitz was definitely in the 23. He has been one of the best players in Irish rugby over the last few years and has been in great form at centre in particular which gives him so much versatility.
Schmidt shouldn't change his style drastically for this 6N campaign as there's way too much at stake.
Can't see Schmidt looking past Trimble at all. Schmidt loves Trimble more than D Kearney. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Trimble/Kearney combo or Trimble/Earls.
Easterby hasn't been great since he's come in. Provided that we've lost Plumtree, POC, Henderson and POM, our lineout will be under serious pressure with Charteris and AWJ competing in the air. Our maul is nothing compared to how good it was back in 2014. We have to have a fair few tricks up our sleeves to gain parity at the lineout

But yes D. Kearney has been in good form but not unbelievable form. Earls was poor away to Stade but after that brilliant at home and before Stade in decent form. I'm not trying to compare Earls to Kearney as they're 2 different guys. 1 is a workhorse winger who'll gain yards the other is a proven clinical winger. And I will say no missing players were the reason for the poor defensive displays vs Argentina. It was open play.
Regards Fitz I'd have him in my 23 too but fact is a lot didn't. He wasn't guaranteed. He's played well yes but to say he's been 1 of best in recent years around is just pushing it as the fact there's a split opinion would show.

Regards Easterby that's harsh. He's working with a weaker pack that Plumtree had. Yes Plumtree was good but I would say we were recognised as having 1 of best packs at RWC.

Regards too much at risk we'd need to do Slam and win in a test in RSA in summer to really impact that. And we'll if we managed that it'd be phenomenal.

Well ********.

For christ's sake, Fitzgerald has been one of the most unluckiest players with regards to injury in Irish rugby over the last decade.

Mildly pedantic this, but no. Guys like Pollock, O'Malley and McKinley who lost careers with massive potential to injury without ever getting close to fulfilling it are the unluckiest players with regards to injury in Irish rugby. Fitzgerald hasn't had it easy, but he's simply not in the same boat there.

Mildly pedantic this, but no. Guys like Pollock, O'Malley and McKinley who lost careers with massive potential to injury without ever getting close to fulfilling it are the unluckiest players with regards to injury in Irish rugby. Fitzgerald hasn't had it easy, but he's simply not in the same boat there.

Yeah good point

Well ********.

In fairness McKinley has had a great ride. I've loved following his story.

Regards Herring. I still think Cronin will be16 myself.

In fairness McKinley has had a great ride. I've loved following his story.

Regards Herring. I still think Cronin will be16 myself.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd have totally preferred to be half-blind and bog around Italian rugby as part of a great story than get Ireland caps. Totally.

And I think you're right on Cronin vs Herring and you'd better bloody be as that's the one selection that will screw over Ulster entirely.

Just play Madigan ahead of Jackson as well and we will tear through the Pro 12 like it was Groundhog's anus.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd have totally preferred to be half-blind and bog around Italian rugby as part of a great story than get Ireland caps. Totally.

And I think you're right on Cronin vs Herring and you'd better bloody be as that's the one selection that will screw over Ulster entirely.

Just play Madigan ahead of Jackson as well and we will tear through the Pro 12 like it was Groundhog's anus.

No. Don't get me wrong. McKinley had very unfortunate issue with eye. But he never gave up and has a super attitude and mentality. I meant he's had great ride in that he didn't just give up. Even before he got back playing, he was a very good coach.

Ha if it's done right Jackson will be involved. Madigan I think will be outcasted for rest of season for club and country.

Last edited:

Strauss will be @16. He's the starting hooker for Leinster and is overall a better player than Cronin

No. Don't get me wrong. McKinley had very unfortunate issue with eye. But he never gave up and has a super attitude and mentality. I meant he's had great ride in that he didn't just give up. Even before he got back playing, he was a very good coach.

Ha if it's done right Jackson will be involved. Madigan I think will be outcasted for rest of season for club and country.

Yeah, I know. Sorry, misread you on that one.

And I'll be surprised if we see Jackson again before end of the 6N, yup. Would be nice though.

Strauss will be @16. He's the starting hooker for Leinster and is overall a better player than Cronin

Has nothing to do with being a starter at your province. Cronin has been proven to be the better impact player always. Yes Strauss is a better starting hooker and f Best we're out he'd be the starter. But with 20 mins left who'd make the impact you'd want. Only issue is Cronin can't do basic functions of a hooker and with our pack being severely weakened I don't know will we get away with it.

Yeah, I know. Sorry, misread you on that one.

And I'll be surprised if we see Jackson again before end of the 6N, yup. Would be nice though.

Yea because truthfully he should be 2nd behind Sexton and well the doubts of Sexton are so much I'm sure they'll have him on standby regardless with no risk.

Would be very happy with Herring as back up Hooker, think he could bring a similar level of energy as Cronin and better basic.

Would be very happy with Herring as back up Hooker, think he could bring a similar level of energy as Cronin and better basic.

Wouldn't argue with any choice really.
Cronin - You know he will impact game
Strauss - You know he's technically the best out of 3
Herring - Is used to backing up Rory and is a very good hooker too.

... I'm struggling to see how sitting on the bench at Ulster is a recommendation for sitting on the bench at Ireland.

As Amiga said, there's days when I'd think about starting Herring ahead of Best full stop. He's kicked on so much and become so influential for us. But I don't see how a familiarity with seeing Rory running off the pitch towards him will help him.

... I'm struggling to see how sitting on the bench at Ulster is a recommendation for sitting on the bench at Ireland.

As Amiga said, there's days when I'd think about starting Herring ahead of Best full stop. He's kicked on so much and become so influential for us. But I don't see how a familiarity with seeing Rory running off the pitch towards him will help him.

Not sitting on the bench more of he's proven that he can do a job and here's evidence he can do it. The dynamic is there.
We all know Best is starting. But Herring coming on for him is basically a point of when it happens it works. Herring will impact a game.

An example in Munster for example which is still debatable. When Cronin starts and Kilcoyne comes on people think that dynamic works more than other way. Yes people will rate Cronin more than Kilcoyne but it's more for impact they rate it

Rob Herring on the bench would be a progressive call. It's unlikely that Rory Best will make the next World Cup and both Richardt Strauss and Sean Cronin will be 33 then. I can see Rob Herring, Mike Sherry and James Tracy being Ireland's three hookers in 2019.

Rob Herring on the bench would be a progressive call. It's unlikely that Rory Best will make the next World Cup and both Richardt Strauss and Sean Cronin will be 33 then. I can see Rob Herring, Mike Sherry and James Tracy being Ireland's three hookers in 2019.

Just wait until the summer please.

As for 2019... I'd probably put money on one of Best, Strauss and Cronin still being around then. Best's unlikely but wouldn't be the oldest hooker to have a crack at the World Cup. But yes, you'd think a couple of new guys will need to push through on this. I suspect Niall Annett will return to Ireland in time to have a crack at 2019 and might have a say in that list as well; having a decent season with Wuss and is still only 24.

Schmidt is a big fan of Strauss. It is a toss up between him and Cronin for the 16 jersey and I could see it going to Strauss on the basis that Strauss is much more reliable with his darts, better ground game, better at scrummaging etc. It's a tough call as Cronin breaks the gain line every time he carries the ball against a tired opposition and if we're chasing the game in the last 20, he would offer a great impact and go forward momentum. However, his lineouts are poor and I would't have much confidence in him throwing into a lineout in the last 5 mins of the match where we're defending on our 5m or trying to manoeuvre something deep in their half, considering we're short on 2nd row options and going up against Charteris and AWJ who are world class lineout operators.

I honestly haven't seen much of Herring but I've been very impressed from what I've seen. He seems very dynamic and quick. However, this is a must win game and we can't be throwing a 2ish year old hooker into a tight game under huge pressure considering he only has a handful of caps. He should definitely see some gametime towards the end of the campaign (depending on how we're going) and during the summer. Him and Tracy have big futures.

Latest posts