• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Premiership 2006-2007

Les Read didn't last too long at Charlton, but he was never going to either, and has been replaced by Alan Pardew, who has signed a 3½ year contract at the Valley.

I think Iain Dowie is a good manager though, Les Reed was just one of Kevin Keegan's "yes" men, which is how he got the job.

Boxing Day Fixtures

Barclays Premiership

Blackburn v Liverpool, 15:00
Bolton v Newcastle, 15:00
Chelsea v Reading, 13:00
Everton v Middlesbrough, 15:00
Man Utd v Wigan, 15:00
Sheff Utd v Man City, 15:00
Tottenham v Aston Villa, 13:00
Watford v Arsenal, 17:30
West Ham v Portsmouth, 13:00

No real standout fixtures but plenty of sides that need to keep the momentum going from Saturday. Suppose the Blackburn Liverpool match is the best of a bad lot.

Agreed it's not great. I'll be at the match tomorrow (well today) complete with a diabolical cold. £36 for the ticket, £14 for the coach. Bloody hell! Robbing gits. I'll be gutted if we lose, I just will really be cheesed off at paying all that money and being ill.

Does sound ridiculously expensive, must be all the more frustrating considering the first half chances.

Chelsea also big losers today, despite only drawing, Cole really should have dealt with that clearance from Doyle's cross though.

And now United are 4 points clear which is surprising as I didn't think Chelsea would drop any points over the Christmas period.

Newcastle losing at Bolton again, so nothing new there

Horrendous day of football.

I was sat in my seat an hour and a half before kick off watching the Chavs against Reading, and knowing that United were going to beat Wigan I found it very hard to cheer Reading's goals. The idea of them winning the ***le is far more appealing than the thought of United winning it. I can't stand the thought of that blotchy faced drunk or that diving Portugese prick winning the ***le. Beginning to look a staggering possibility.

Hilarious own goal though. I won't tire of that for a good while.

However, I digress. I think we were pretty ordinary today, but we have played worse than this and won games. We were much the better team in the first half and we reduced them to the occasional snap shot. I'm a big fan of Crouch but he just has to take the chances he was prevented with today. He never runs onto a ball, he waits for it to come to his head. He has to attack it. The header he missed at the back stick today... you HAVE to score those chances, they are bread and butter. Had Kuyt been on the end of I am sure he would have scored.

I'm not going to complain about Crouch as that would be unfair. He held the ball up well but to be perfectly honest I question the wisdom of selecting him to start today. Kuyt is our strongest striker and we needed that today against their two yard dogs. He should, for me, have started. I wasn't convinced by the 3 up front today, we seemed lop sided.

Their goal was a real let down. We gifted them the ball. We messed about with it on the edge of our own box and we got punished. Why didn't we just launch it to safety??? Infuriating. For Blackburn's standards it was a nice goal with good football but we should have been in their half. So, so annoying.

Quite how we didn't score when Dirk belatedly arrived I'll never know. You just thought "one of those games" when Bellamy hit the bar. Give Big Brad his due, he made a couple of very good saves. The one from Alonso in particular was a great stop.

Spurs away next, that's a twat of a game as well. Bolton on New Year's Day is now very, very important.

Spurs away next, that's a twat of a game as well. Bolton on New Year's Day is now very, very important.
[/b]

The discrepancy between your home and away form is pretty unforgivable.

Changing the subject what does Andy Johnson have to do to get a penalty...that's 4 decent shouts he's had since the one he got against Sheffield United.

You can't tell me that they aren't reffing his supposed reputation.

SB

It's all his own fault RBS. If he hadn't have been (ifithadnerbinfer) the fact he was a diving cheat at Palace he wouldn't have a reputation as a diver.

It's all his own fault RBS. If he hadn't have been (ifithadnerbinfer) the fact he was a diving cheat at Palace he wouldn't have a reputation as a diver.
[/b]

Nonsense...How is it his own fault? Is he getting fouled? If the answer is 'Yes' then it's a pen.

Should every tackle Gerrard does result in a red card 'cause of this :

_38621271_gerrers150.jpg

Oh yeah I'm forgetting the ref let him off with that didn't he...and his manager went crying to the media when the FA charged him for it.

This has all come about from the Everton V Sheffield Utd game...Is that why you feel like an expert on the the validity of Merseyside team's penalty claims?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1tUz6XnlnU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1tUz6XnlnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Seems Stevie G isn't above throwing himself to the floor and yet he gets a pen every time. Still I'm sure in modern footy the decisions you get are nothing to do with the shirt you are wearing at the time.

SB

I'm sure that's completely different from nasty, cynical AJ and his evil, cheating reputation though...as we all know rednoses don't do double standards.

that's the one.
[/b]

I doubt that these actually happened either :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Prcxxr4bJ3E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Prcxxr4bJ3E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Otherwise, by our liverpool fan's logic, Gerrard wouldn't deserve anymore penalties regardless of whether he was fouled or not.

SB

but people always intend to foul Gerrard which is why he gets away with being such a diving cheat.

but people always intend to foul Gerrard which is why he gets away with being such a diving cheat.
[/b]

Intent...that must be it. Stevie decides that he's going to be fouled and so throws himself to the floor...that's totally different to a player not deserving a penalty even when he's fouled because he's got 'a reputation'.

Mind you Gerrard's dives would be less obvious if his reactions were quicker...how long after the actual 'tackle' was this one :

Talk about late!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts