• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Most excited to see how the untested players get on in the early part of the season and I hope they provide a new lease of life into a Leinster side which looked stagnant last season. Would love for some of the senior players places to be under question when the come back, as unlikely as it is.

Can Isa Nacewa return to his form of three years ago after two seasons out of the game? Will Cathal Marsh and Luke McGrath replicate their scintillating performances for the A team with the senior setup? Is Dan Leavy capable of laying down a marker and putting himself in the mix in the extremely competitive backrow when bigger games come around? Does the game plan stay the same as the last two seasons of are we likely to see a more open, exciting style of rugby?

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Can Isa Nacewa return to his form of three years ago after two seasons out of the game? Will Cathal Marsh and Luke McGrath replicate their scintillating performances for the A team with the senior setup? Is Dan Leavy capable of laying down a marker and putting himself in the mix in the extremely competitive backrow when bigger games come around? Does the game plan stay the same as the last two seasons of are we likely to see a more open, exciting style of rugby?

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Bit of a damp squib of a game but positives there. Ye seem a bit more together than last year. But Leinster fans have to realise (as crazy as it sounds) ye are in transition. Like Munster few years ago ye have the big names still but injuries are creaking in and as much as I don't want to say it I think ye will loose some player to retirement.

I see Girvan Dempsey confirmed as Backs coach until 2017.
Richie Murphy has left Leinster to be full time with the Irish team.

Interesting on radio there. There was an article in The Star saying Sexton is considering retiring from Ireland after 6 Nations and concentrating on Leinster. On radio today it seems he has told plenty of people that is something he's strongly considering. He's reasons are his body is battered to much and he needs the recovery time. Also that international tours and camps are taking away from time with his family.

Pretty sure if you are contracted to the IRFU you cannot retire from playing for Ireland. I know this has happened in the past with David Humphreys, but i assume the IRFU's interpretation was that Eddie just stopped picking him.

Pretty sure if you are contracted to the IRFU you cannot retire from playing for Ireland. I know this has happened in the past with David Humphreys, but i assume the IRFU's interpretation was that Eddie just stopped picking him.

Yes you are correct but fact is if he's genuinely battered and his body needs some leeway what can you do

I wouldn't be averse to offering him a NZ style sabbatical. Take 6 months or a year out of the game to recharge the batteries and get himself right.

Which would in turn give Madigan a chance to be first choice 10 for his province, for once. Would make sense for all parties involved.

If he ain't fit ,he ain't fit, whether physically, psychologically or emotionally.

Don't think it's a case of not being fit. Just his body is easier to break so he needs recovery time. Sexton will do what's best and nobody can fault him there.

Don't think it's a case of not being fit. Just his body is easier to break so he needs recovery time. Sexton will do what's best and nobody can fault him there.

Spot on and am glad that he is strong/ powerful enough to be able to do that!

I know of players, not being fit, being given pain killing injections and being told to get out there or lose their contracts!

I wouldn't be averse to offering him a NZ style sabbatical. Take 6 months or a year out of the game to recharge the batteries and get himself right.
I was saying this to a friend the other day. Give him the season off or at least until after the 6nations. Carter and McCaw extended their careers by about 18 months with their sabbaticals.

I was saying this to a friend the other day. Give him the season off or at least until after the 6nations. Carter and McCaw extended their careers by about 18 months with their sabbaticals.

It may be the best for everyone too. It allows Sexton time with his family. Forces Ireland to blood new 10 in pressure games. And well 2 scenarios that could happen are.
Sexton doesn't come back in but we are already used to time without him.
Sexton returns and we have 2 if not more guys capable of playing 10.

An unconvincing win last night nonetheless it was a win against the defending champions.

This series of games has shown a few real positives. Lots of young players have been given a chance and a few of them look to have run with it. Those who have most impressed me:

Peter Dooley - could he push ahead of Michael Bent this season?
Ross Molony - needs to pack on a bit more weight but once he grows into his body, he'll be a quality option. He really obliterates rucks.
Josh van der Flier - the production line in the back row continues.
Luke McGrath - still has his flaws but brings a lot of pace to proceedings.
Garry Ringrose - perhaps wise to blood him on the wing before moving him to 13. For all Ben Te'os talents, Ringrose is more of a creative force than a bettering ram.

I didn't see the loss to Bath today so can't comment on the performance. One point from two European games really puts Leinster behind the 8 ball though. Where to from here?

A lot will suggest blooding the kids in the remaining European games. I'm not quite so convinced. Do people really want to see a callow Leinster side go away to the European champions Toulon and risk annihilation? Luke McGrath deserves to start that game as does Jack McGrath. Josh van der Flier and Garry Ringrose deserve to be in the 23. Should Leinster lose one of the back-to-back games against Toulon, they're out of Europe. Only then do you decide that the remaining fixtures against Bath and Wasps would be better served resting the internationals and giving the next generation a taste of European rugby in a major way.

The Pro 12 has to be the priority now.

Or maybe getting a new management team.......?

Leinster's fall from class has been meteoric!
If they were seen to sack 2 managers then that would be horrific for their image. They won't let Cullen go but it must be asked should a more experienced head be added to their ticket. Also players deserve some blame too.

I didn't see the loss to Bath today so can't comment on the performance. One point from two European games really puts Leinster behind the 8 ball though. Where to from here?

A lot will suggest blooding the kids in the remaining European games. I'm not quite so convinced. Do people really want to see a callow Leinster side go away to the European champions Toulon and risk annihilation? Luke McGrath deserves to start that game as does Jack McGrath. Josh van der Flier and Garry Ringrose deserve to be in the 23. Should Leinster lose one of the back-to-back games against Toulon, they're out of Europe. Only then do you decide that the remaining fixtures against Bath and Wasps would be better served resting the internationals and giving the next generation a taste of European rugby in a major way.

The Pro 12 has to be the priority now.

we were ok, a lot better than last week obviously. Game was there for the taking and we were a lot better than Bath in collisions and managed the game in the half backs better. Our midfield was promising too and Garces did us no favours. I'd argue we were better today than we were in the QF last year.

Or maybe getting a new management team.......?

Leinster's fall from class has been meteoric!

We're a side in transition, I think we'll see Cullen and Dempsey blood new players with the old guard having a role as impact subs. Healy, Ross and Reddan/Boss won't be starters next year, O'Brien has been struggling in blue so we could see a battle for the 7 shirt too. I'm confident in the current management cleaning up O'Connor's mess, it just wasn't going to happen in this European group.

A 52-0 win tonight against Zebre. The Italian team were an absolute shambles.

Mostly positives from Leinster but restarts and the maul need a lot of work.

Latest posts