dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
http://www.worldrugby.org/

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/37400

[h=2]IRB becomes World Rugby as new brand is launched[/h]World Rugby has officially launched with the unveiling of its logo and brand, bringing to a close the 2014 World Rugby Conference and Exhibition in London on Tuesday.

At the heart of the brand is a distinctive positioning, expressed visually through a modernised and progressive logo that embodies World Rugby's mission statement to grow the game globally, retaining a link to the organisation's heritage through its blue and green colour scheme.

With Rugby continuing to inspire and engage new audiences and players around the world, the launch is the culmination of a rebranding process undertaken with the assistance of FutureBrand.

The new expression of the brand, reflected in the new name and visual identity, aims to deliver the federation's mission to build a stronger connection with fans, players and commercial partners. Ultimately engaging new audiences worldwide.

The new visual identity is being rolled out across the federation's portfolio of digital properties, including the new worldrugby.org and @worldrugby platforms. It will make its event debut on match official jerseys this weekend.

World Rugby Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "Global Rugby participation has boomed by more than two million to 6.6 million players over the past four years, driven by the commercial success of Rugby World Cup, World Rugby's development strategies and record investment, strong and vibrant Unions and Rugby's re-inclusion in the Olympic Games."

"Today's launch embodies our mission statement to grow the global Rugby family beyond our traditional family and fan base and reflects the federation's evolution from Rugby regulator to Rugby inspirer."

Launching the brand, World Rugby Chief Executive Brett Gosper said: "In an incredibly competitive global entertainment and sporting marketplace, Rugby must continue to appeal to those who know and love the sport and its heritage, while attracting, engaging and inspiring those who have no connection with the sport across multiple cultures and languages around the world."

"Supported by a new name, a distinctive, optimistic and progressive new brand, and clear character-building values World Rugby collectively has the ingredients and tools to do just that. We want everyone to feel connected with the sport and Rugby's ongoing success story."

"Our new brand certainly stands out and enables us to promote our consumer-facing properties in a way that they will be more appealing and impactful to the sport's growing global fan base,"

The rebrand will have no impact on Rugby World Cup 2015 branding or positioning, which will remain as it is with its iconic logo throughout the current event cycle.

The announcement brought to a close a hugely successful World Rugby Conference and Exhibition in London, which brought together more than 700 delegates from 60 nations over two days of thought-provoking workshops and panel sessions covering some of the biggest topics in Rugby from player welfare and integrity to the future of Rugby World Cup and delivering an outstanding Rugby Sevens event at Rio 2016.

Huh.

das

Last edited:
... now I'm concerned about the flow on effect ... does the NZRU, now become NZR ... If it does, it could get confused with NZ Rail (if that still exists), maybe they could go with RugbyNZ or something.

Are "World Rugby" going to give the rest of the world (not just the traditional countries) more input into how the game is run?

Thanks for the links, by the way, Das ... it will make it easier to find when they are streaming live rugby

Last edited:
... now I'm concerned about the flow on effect ... does the NZRU, now become NZR ... If it does, it could get confused with NZ Rail (if that still exists), maybe they could go with RugbyNZ or something.

Are "World Rugby" going to give the rest of the world (not just the traditional countries) more input into how the game is run?

Thanks for the links, by the way, Das ... it will make it easier to find when they are streaming live rugby

Sounds to me like the whole point of the change is to have more input/influence on the game worldwide, promoting it beyond the traditional countries. IMHO it's a now or never scenario: right now rugby is growing in popularity in the States (third largest world population), and they have a year - less than a year - to promote the hell out of the World Cup in 2015. And there are many other countries that are developing teams and interest, but they certainly do need promotion, and especially financial support. In the case of the competitive sports market you really have to sell the game (the product) first, bring the money and interest in, then start developing the teams. Otherwise most countries (esp. the poorer ones in Africa, S. America, and the like) wouldn't be able to grow a strong national team. From the article it sounds like that's what this new World Rugby organization aims to do - promote and grow rugby worldwide. I'm certainly on board with that. :)

das

They've just changed their name - it's not a new organisation.

Yeah, but you know how easy it was to say IRB...and what a mouthful 'World Rugby' is going to be now? And IRB sounded complete - 'the IRB said this or that'. I'm not sure how to refer to this new name...'the World Rugby...organization?...said this or that'?? Or is it just 'World Rugby said this or that'? I suppose the latter. I need to hear/see it in a few sentences before I'm comfortable with using the new name.

And though not a new organization, it is a re-branding, which hopefully will come with some positive changes to the game (and the promotion of the game internationally).

das

They've just changed their name - it's not a new organisation.

Yep, got that my issue is this statement:

"Today's launch embodies our mission statement to grow the global Rugby family beyond our traditional family and fan base and reflects the federation's evolution from Rugby regulator to Rugby inspirer."

I get that they are trying to market the game globally, but if they are truly trying to make the game global, does that include more seats at the table for non-traditional family, when it comes to the administration of the game? ... I suspect not

In my opinion it was always going to happen, the name change
oh hi there never seen you around, welcome to the forum if i haven't already, i hope you stay active here and post regularly there isn't that many scots here :(

oh hi there never seen you around, welcome to the forum if i haven't already, i hope you stay active here and post regularly there isn't that many scots here :(
HI Scotty, Been refereeing for a good few years now. Perthshire are my Club, when am not out in referee mode am following my club up and down the Country.

Yeah, thats my plan to stay active within the Forum and post regularly :)

HI Scotty, Been refereeing for a good few years now. Perthshire are my Club, when am not out in referee mode am following my club up and down the Country.

Yeah, thats my plan to stay active within the Forum and post regularly :)
awesome! i'm looking forward to reading your points and opinions in threads :D btw Edinburgh or Glasgow ?

IRB abbreviation was cool, it was like the rugby equivalent to FIFA.

Oh well.

Times change.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the WorldRugby Hq are still to be in St Stephen's Green in Dublin?????

IRB abbreviation was cool, it was like the rugby equivalent to FIFA.

Oh well.

Times change.

Perhaps the change is good, then...FIFA doesn't exactly have the best rep. ;)

I wonder what the legal name is for the entity...is it World Rugby Organization? If so, WRO could be a good abbreviation. Or, WRC (for World Rugby Council). A nice, easy abbreviation would be good...especially when typing on discussion forums. :)

das

Perhaps the change is good, then...FIFA doesn't exactly have the best rep. ;)

I wonder what the legal name is for the entity...is it World Rugby Organization? If so, WRO could be a good abbreviation. Or, WRC (for World Rugby Council). A nice, easy abbreviation would be good...especially when typing on discussion forums. :)

das

While I'd agree with you... the whole thing is just dumb

World = International
Rugby = Rugby
Council, Organization = Board

All they've done is have the same name, and made it more ambiguous, less searchable, less professional sounding, and harder to abbreviate meaningfully.

I also hate the new website. It seems a lot of sites are being developed with tablets/ phones in mind? Or maybe I just don't "get" it? TSN did the same thing a month ago.

Surely they've got better things to do this? How did it ever get past the first step?

"I know, World Rugby!" "Shut up, Mike." -how it should have gone.

While I'd agree with you... the whole thing is just dumb

World = International
Rugby = Rugby
Council, Organization = Board

All they've done is have the same name, and made it more ambiguous, less searchable, less professional sounding, and harder to abbreviate meaningfully.

I also hate the new website. It seems a lot of sites are being developed with tablets/ phones in mind? Or maybe I just don't "get" it? TSN did the same thing a month ago.

Surely they've got better things to do this? How did it ever get past the first step?

"I know, World Rugby!" "Shut up, Mike." -how it should have gone.

Yes, sites are being developed with tablets/phones in mind since more and more that's how people are accessing the net. The site doesn't bother me, it seems fairly easy to navigate, though there are a bazillion links to check out. Lots of emphasis on promoting the sport and the spirit of the sport - that's good.

But I do agree with you on the name. I'm having trouble warming to it - there needs to be another word in there to create an abbreviation with a flow to it. Not sure why they changed 'international' to 'world', other than 'international' may sound a bit snooty to some people, and 'world' seems more inviting to the average person. (It may have simply been because they could spell out World Rugby in the logo, instead of using an abbreviation that many people not familiar with the sport had no idea what it stood for.)

The change is new, so maybe they'll tweak things a bit in the next few weeks or months.

das

What on earth is with the new logo?! Nothing about it says anything close to "rugby" like the last one - if anything it looks like the logo for some cheap hotel.

Latest posts