• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 7s extra-time system must be changed

sigesige00

Bench Player
Under the current rule, 7s draw games are decided by the golden-score extra-time. However, I strongly disagree with this.
Rugby is a sport in which kick-off plays an important role. In the case of 7s, the role of kick-off is more important. Since the extra-time is started by kick-off, the chance for both teams is not equal.
The golden-score system must be abolished, and the draw games should be decided by 2mins-half extra-time. If the score is still draw after extra-time, the game should be decided by the number of tries. The number of tries is still same, the game should be decided by kicks.

Under the current rule, 7s draw games are decided by the golden-score extra-time. However, I strongly disagree with this.
Rugby is a sport in which kick-off plays an important role. In the case of 7s, the role of kick-off is more important. Since the extra-time is started by kick-off, the chance for both teams is not equal.
The golden-score system must be abolished, and the draw games should be decided by 2mins-half extra-time. If the score is still draw after extra-time, the game should be decided by the number of tries. The number of tries is still same, the game should be decided by kicks.

That would change how fixtures are scheduled. Currently it is my belief (don't know for sure) that extra time is golden-score to stick on the tight time constraints. I mean, extra time doesn't happen enough I think for anyone to care to change it anyway. As was said by Morne Du Plessis in the ESPN 30 for 30 about the 1995 RWC winning Springboks in the final and not planning for the extra time, "Why? Because we're gonna win." Win it in the 14 mins.

On principle I don't mind your idea sigesige but like usausa said it's kind of a neccesary evil (bar possibly the final of the series event itself.)

I don't see why kicks at goal which are generally irrelevant in 7's is a fair way to end a game but golden point isn't.

I don't see why kicks at goal which are generally irrelevant in 7's is a fair way to end a game but golden point isn't.

I have already answered... Since extra-time starts from kick-off, the winning chances are not equal for both team. Why don't you understand such an easy logic?

I have already answered... Since extra-time starts from kick-off, the winning chances are not equal for both team. Why don't you understand such an easy logic?

It's not though? I'd imagine the kickoff would be decided by a coin toss, making it fair, and then you've just gotta concentrate and win/recover the kick off, an important aspect of sevens. As others have said, it doesn't happen enough to warrant a massive overhaul, plus the golden point option makes sense for a fast paced game like sevens.
The system you propose is admittedly similar to that used by most 15 a side tournaments, for example the Heineken Cup. As someone who sat through the extra time and penalty shoot out of the 2008/09 Heineken cup semi between Cardiff and Leicester, I can tell you that a penalty shoot out is seriously an awful way to end a rugby match, win or lose. It just does not feel right.

But why are kicks at goal a fair way of deciding a game of 7's when kicks at goal affect the outcome of less than 1% of Sevens games? Why don't you understand such an easy logic?

Latest posts