• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Williams reporting stiffness in his leg, Gatland confident he'll be fit for Saturday. Fingers crossed!

As to whether there is a general feeling of unjustness within New Zealand I don't know. I have talked to a few people. One didn't think it should have been a red card. I thought it obviously should. One was unsure.

Most people in nz, especially in Wellington where I live, don't give a rats about rugby and wouldn't have seen the game. The ones that do don't want to talk about this particular game.

As far as the ref, I can tell you what I thought. I felt that for most penalties there was either something else going on that could have meant a penalty in the opposite direction, or it was a 50 to call, or three wasn't consistency.

The deciding penalty was an odd one. Correct by law but I'm not sure the law is correct.

As to whether there is a general feeling of unjustness within New Zealand I don't know. I have talked to a few people. One didn't think it should have been a red card. I thought it obviously should. One was unsure.

Most people in nz, especially in Wellington where I live, don't give a rats about rugby and wouldn't have seen the game. The ones that do don't want to talk about this particular game.

As far as the ref, I can tell you what I thought. I felt that for most penalties there was either something else going on that could have meant a penalty in the opposite direction, or it was a 50 to call, or three wasn't consistency.

The deciding penalty was an odd one. Correct by law but I'm not sure the law is correct. But I don't think there is any unjustness or bad luck because of it.

As soon as his injury was announced it was said that he'd be returning home shortly after the 2nd test. Don't know at whose initiative, but I think that's pretty usual practice. And to be honest his priority is probably getting some proper treatment on his injury.
Yeah it's normal practice they get home ASAP. Henshaw arrived home too and was in Santry Clinic in Dublin yesterday too.

Makes you wonder eh? Has football changed all that much that the pros aren't even arsed about a potential bit of rugby history in the making? Perhaps he's just ticked off and wanted out of dodge. Also understandable. I personally would have hung around, and got on the ale, but I'm old school..... :)

OR maybe the most likely thing is that Northampton saints who pays his wage and he is contracted to wanted him over to England ASAP so they can assess the injury and start rehab on it right away.

Not that I agree with most of that but, the English are not the ones to be attacking another country over their sporting media. England have churned out the most BS of any country in the world when it comes to their sporting media. So I'd calm your ***s mate.

Oh I dunno about that, have you never read WalesOnline? ;)

"The All Blacks are currently the world champions and ranked number one in the world," said Henry.

"So to beat the All Blacks at home with a side which has had very little rugby together would be an astronomical achievement."

Wise words from Henry

NZ lose, Hansen's job on the line?

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/gatland-touted-as-hansen-replacement/

All Blacks coach Hansen says he will step down after the 2019 World Cup in Japan.

Chief executive Tew said: "I don't know why a question about Warren's inclusion even needs to be asked. Whatever happens on Saturday, this Lions tour has been a success. I don't think losing on Saturday makes anyone a better or worse coach and I think Warren's record to now already makes him a candidate.

"Warren is an outstanding coach. He certainly wants to come back to New Zealand one day and he aspires to be the All Black coach. Clearly, he'll be considered."

Think that is just the usual talk. Same song sheet that was going on for all the last year Gatland Schmidt Cotter amongst others.

And here was me hoping we'd see NZ run by Gatland, it could certain be a 'leverer' in the international game

If the NZ even considered gatland it'd be crazy. Don't think any tier 1 side would want him.

If the NZ even considered gatland it'd be crazy. Don't think any tier 1 side would want him.

I think staying at Wales so long has been a mistake for him. The longer you stay in one place the more people forget the other things you've done in the career and it becomes harder to see you approaching rugby any other way. It's like the equivalent of becoming type cast as an actor! I think this is absolutely the case with Gatland. I wouldn't rule out that he could be successful playing rugby differently with a different coaching job, but it's hard to see past his last 10 years work with Wales which is currently suggesting he knows only one way.

The deciding penalty was an odd one. Correct by law but I'm not sure the law is correct. But I don't think there is any unjustness or bad luck because of it.

I agree about Garces, In fact I thought he was pretty hopeless as far as consistency goes. I think it affected both teams on the night. But I just think that it's a bit bananas for some people to claim that the Vunipola and Williams incidents were equivalent / equally clear cut. I'm trying desperately to keep both eyes open as a lions fan but I just really do not think that it's like that.

Henry suggesting Gatland pretty much confirms my suspicions that he's a bit of a fraud and was piggy backed by Carter and McCaw.

2 points from being the biggest dick in rugby history Henry.

2 points.

Schmidt annd Cotter are my favs for the job. Both got their team playing good Ruggers. See how Josef goes with the Nips too.

If Cotter does well with Montpellier you'd have him as one of the favourites.

Schmidts got Ireland playing great though. I really want him as next coach. Top lad too.

Jordie to start at 15 on Saturday. Huge call if it's more than just a rumor.

I think he did superbly for the Hurricanes last Wednesday, in spite of a few defensive misreads. He injected himself in attack, had some nice touches, kicked really well and was a competent leader at 10 by the end of the match. When the adrenalin kicked in and when the Canes remembered that they are the Canes and decided to stop committing handling errors, he became an absolute game changer.

Wow this is exciting.. got a load of the guys over, with a big breakfast and the big screen primed for action!

For the Lions, I cant wait to see what we can produce.. when we've attacked with purpose and direction, our backs have looked lively, and the forwards last match really held their hands up, though Im still torn over Alun Wyn Jones.. Lawes gives you better quality Rugby, and Henderson yet more bench impact, but Alun Wyn has been there and done it before, and know how could be crucial. We know that won't be changed anyway, but still an interesting debate

Mako Vunipola should probably be brought off the bench, and McGrath to start, he prides a little more stability to the set piece and that could be crucial for the first 20-30 minutes, and not making mistakes when trying to feel our way into the game. Sexton and Farrell need to be more consistent throughout the 80 as well, and most of all, we need to execute with a very high level of accuracy. O'Brien and Warburton i thought were very good together, Warburton was involved in pretty much every other defensive ruck. Either way a huge encounter, and would be one of the great games if we can see both teams playing at their absolute potential

Gatland has been great for Wales over the years but i do think even a successful tenure will run it's course and i feel like we have that for Wales. They need fresh ideas now with a new staff.

OR maybe the most likely thing is that Northampton saints who pays his wage and he is contracted to wanted him over to England ASAP so they can assess the injury and start rehab on it right away.
Indeed! I'd still fancy being on the Ale down under. Like I said. Old school. :eek:

Surely the Saints are giving him a week or two off in the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts