• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2024)

were Aussie fans interested in cross cohntry games when they were more competitive?
Personally, when they are competitive, I like the cross country games the most. Not saying I'm typical though
I mean, more so but the biggest games were always the derbies. Typically NSW v Brumbies or Reds.

But even when the Reds and Tahs were winning the viewership was tailing off.

That's my recollection, I'm not sure it's the inter Aussie passion that brings the fans because the Aussie rugby fans aren't that passionate, there isn't that culture in Aussie rugby…I think they turn up because they have a better chance of winning
I dunno if its fair to say we aren't passionate. But it is hard to bring a crowd when your team is guaranteed to lose and there are 6 other sports you can watch at any given time.

I dunno if its fair to say we aren't passionate. But it is hard to bring a crowd when your team is guaranteed to lose and there are 6 other sports you can watch at any given time.
i think comparatively, when looking at AFL and League, aussie rugby fans seem less passionate. AFL has whole families decked out in every piece of merch avaliable marching through town to see their team finish 17th

maybe that is due to not having success which, i believe, my approach would help fix, more games at a lower standard, get some wins, wins bring fans and sponsorship....money and winning profile raise interest in grass roots...brings more players....building competition for positions...brings a higher skill level...which brings wins...cycle repeats itself

but thats over several years so there needs to be commitment to some pain

i think comparatively, when looking at AFL and League, aussie rugby fans seem less passionate. AFL has whole families decked out in every piece of merch avaliable marching through town to see their team finish 17th

maybe that is due to not having success which, i believe, my approach would help fix, more games at a lower standard, get some wins, wins bring fans and sponsorship....money and winning profile raise interest in grass roots...brings more players....building competition for positions...brings a higher skill level...which brings wins...cycle repeats itself

but thats over several years so there needs to be commitment to some pain
AFL didn't havnt the same team win the t itle 8 years in a row and like 60% of all t itles there have been.

Sure, your team will go through bad patches. Wouldnt wanna be a tigers fan right now. But at least it's cyclical and not a permanent feature.

AFL didn't havnt the same team win the t itle 8 years in a row and like 60% of all t itles there have been.

Sure, your team will go through bad patches. Wouldnt wanna be a tigers fan right now. But at least it's cyclical and not a permanent feature.
...but thats exactly what im saying, break up the crusaders, go back to just canterbury, call it a new comp so there wont be all the references to the domination of one or two teams, everyone gets a reset

Its Squad announcement day, the first four have dropped

1699482908364.png1699482940152.png
1699482972558.png1699483013130.png

I hate how they don't do this by position

Anyway, quite a few new players. Don't know if it's more than usual for the year after a World Cup (might be as some people might have decided not to leave last time with COVID). But definitely there'll be some raw players starting or close to starting.

Last edited:
I'm not all that familiar with all the players having not watched a huge amount of npc, but highlanders look weak or inexperienced at hooker, first five, midfield

I hate how they don't do this by position

Anyway, quite a few new players. Don't know if it's more than usual for the year after a World Cup (might be as some people might have decided not to leave last time with COVID). But definitely there'll be some raw players starting or close to starting.
i think a lot of the individuals teams announcements were broken down by position

I did like that we finally had all the teams coordinated and announcing on the same day, most squads have been locked down for a while but made it a little bit of an event

Also disappointed not to see any big names join moana pacificka after losing their two stars topping tackle busters

I'm not all that familiar with all the players having not watched a huge amount of npc, but highlanders look weak or inexperienced at hooker, first five, midfield
in short yes, kind of

midfield has been our bain for a while and loosing TUJ is not good....but he was injury prone and Gilbert has shown a lot of promise and Tele'a is big and strong, if we can keep them fit we could be onto something, Gilbert offers a semi second play maker at 12, would be the biggest./tallest combo i can remember us fielding

Henry bell is very good but as you say inexperienced at this level, jackson is seasoned at NPC level so once again...keeping them fit the real issue.

im more happy with our options at 10 this year than the last few, Welsh international with over 150 games in the UC/Celtic League will Millar as backup aint bad

Disappointed also there's no Josh jacomb, and Adam Lennox, stars of an npc ***le winning campaign

Latest posts