• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Cheetahs vs. Sharks in Bloemfontein (23/02/2013)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
Cheetahs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Sharks.png

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
Assistant Referees: Jason Jaftha & Tiaan Jonker
TMO: Gerrie Coetzee

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] 2006 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 27-26 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Durban [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2007 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 14-30 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Bloemfontein [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2008 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 14-33 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Durban [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2009 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 31-6 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Bloemfontein [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2010 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 25-20 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Durban [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2011 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 9-24 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Durban [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2011 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 18-23 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Bloemfontein [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2012 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 20-34 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Bloemfontein [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 2012 [/TD][TD] Cheetahs [/TD][TD] 15-34 [/TD][TD] Sharks [/TD][TD] Durban [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Think the Sharks are going to hurt them unless the one man wonder Goosen wins this aka "Hugo porta" style

Think the Sharks are going to hurt them unless the one man wonder Goosen wins this aka "Hugo porta" style

Is Brussouw fit yet?

The Cheetahs looked dire in their warm-up matches... they need Brussouw, Coenie and Goosen to aid them otherwise it's going to be a long season for them

Goosen can't win a game on his own if his pack doesn't front up and the centers can't defend. Cheetahs will come out firing but I expect the Sharks will endure the 1st half onslaught and win somewhat handsomely sadly.

I can only laugh at the injury lists for the Stormers, cheetahs and Highlanders. Thankfully some of those guys are set to play. Hopefully no recurrences of these injuries will come up.

How saucy does this Cheetahs backline look though.

9) Piet Van Zyl
10) Johan Goosen
11) Raymond Rhule
12) Robert Ebersohn
13) Johan Sadie
14) Willie le Roux
15) Hennie Daniller

Well besides Daniller, it looks exciting. I agree with the general sentiment that the Sharks will win this comfortably, especially if with look at pre-season games and key players returning from injury for the Cheetahs.

Last time we were backed to win handsomely...
That is a bloody nice looking backline.
I quite fancy a back three of Pietersen, le Roux, and Ludik.

Last time we were backed to win handsomely...
That is a bloody nice looking backline.
I quite fancy a back three of Pietersen, le Roux, and Ludik.

LOL Mvovo is good enough, leave Le Roux to the poor Cheetahs.

Unfortuntely Ludik doesn't seem to be on HM's radar even though he was the best 15 last year for any of our franchizes and by some distance IMO. Good thing Taute is getting some time at 15 for the Stormers.

Cheetahs: 15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Willie le Roux, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Robert Ebersohn, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Frans Viljoen, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lood de Jager, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Trevor Nyakane.Replacements: 16 Ryno Barnes, 17 Coenie Oosthuizen, 18 Waltie Vermeulen, 19 Boom Prinsloo, 20 Sarel Pretorius, 21 Elgar Watts, 22 Ryno Benjamin.

Pity about the Cheetahs' front row looking a bit thin with the loss of WP Nel and Marcel vd Merwe but at least Coenie is on the bench. Sharks shouldn't expect to have it all their own way but should be firm favorites. That Cheetah 2nd row and centers are looking better than they have for a while although they have no depth there.

Also it looks like Juan SMith is making one last desperate attempt to come back to the game and is going to try what seems to be somewhat unconventional surgery; http://www.sarugby.com/news.cfm?newsid=22191

People would propably crucify me but I think Ebersohn is vastly overrated and with Sadie still trying to find his form of old the Sherks with Steyn and Jordaan can destroy them

People would propably crucify me but I think Ebersohn is vastly overrated and with Sadie still trying to find his form of old the Sherks with Steyn and Jordaan CAN destroy them

They certainly could particularly if Steyn has gained a little urgency (and lost a little weight like Weepu has supposedly) what with being back in SA and being captain and all. That said I still feel the partnership of Sadie and Ebersohn is the best the poor Cheetahs have had for a while now. At least in theory if they click as I have to concede it is an untested partnership.

The Sharks: 15. Louis ludik, 14. JP Pietersen, 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Frans Steyn (c), 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Ryan Kankowski, 7. Marcell Coetzee, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Anton Bresler, 3. Jannie du Plessis, 2. Craig Burden, 1. Tendai Mtawarira Reserves: 16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Wiehahn Herbst, 18. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 19. Jean Deysel, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Meyer Bosman, 22. Odwa Ndungane

Words fail me. That is an awesome team, mainly the backline but yea.

The Shorks are going to be the cornerstone of my multi this week.

Reinach the only SR debutant and what a prospect! Good combination of youthful adventure and proven class. Would love to see PS du Toit have a run at the end. Only thing the Sharks might need is an out-and-out fetcher while Bissie is injured. Won't be needed against the Cheetahs though.

Jacques Botes is a decent fetcher, I would have really liked to see Mthembu though, guess we will later as this is a long season
Pretty awesome side

I'd like to see a Marais/du Toit second row pairing. Bresler and v/d Merwe isn't the most dynamic lock setup.
Prefer to see Cooper in over Burden.

I like Mvovo, he is a great player for us. Willie is just dynamic, and can cover fullback. I'd like a rotating back three, as Ludik isn't bad on the wing. Viljoen should get some time between 11 and 15 as well. Intelligently rotating players while keeping some consistency is key during the extended season. Our loose forwards will be forced into it in a few weeks.

Latest posts