• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks to return to Soccer City for a third time?

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
When was this announced? I thought the game with Argentina was going to be played in Bloemfontein at Free-State Stadium?

South Africa plays 3 games at home and these are the venues:

08/17/2013 against Argentina at Soccer City, Soweto
09/28/2013 against Australia at Newlands, Cape Town
10/05/2013 against New Zealand at Ellis Park, Johannesburg

The Springboks played 3 Tests back in June.

06/08/2013 against Italy at Kings Park, Durban
06/15/2013 against Scotland at Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
06/22/2013 against Samoa at Loftus, Pretoria

This is the first time since 2006 Bloemfontein is not among stadiums where the Boks play during incoming tours or Tri Nations/TRC.

The reason is quite simple. When the Boks or Cheetahs played at Bloem, the attendance was abysmal. Compared to the other venues, this was the biggest issue. When SARU included Nelspruit this year as one of the venues it was already obvious Bloemfontein would lose out.

The Reason why it is at Soccer City is because of a brilliant idea by our Sports Minister.

Because of Nelson Mandela being in hospital, and the entire country uniting behind the great man, the Sports Minister approved a plan to have one massive celebration. on the 17th of August, there will be 3 sports matches, and a massive concert to celebrate Nelson Mandela. This will take place at Soccer City, the biggest sports venue in SA.

at 10 am the SA Soccer Legends will play against an Italy All Stars team.
At 13:00 South Africa's National Soccer Team will play Against Burkina Faso in a World Cup Qualifier match.
then at 17:00 South Africa's Rugby team will play against Argentina.
then at 20:00 a concert with the country's leading artists will perform in the stadium.

I am sure it have nothing to do with the altitude against a aging Puma side is as well. Playing the Aussies at Sea Level that is totally ridoncilous

I am sure it have nothing to do with the altitude against a aging Puma side is as well. Playing the Aussies at Sea Level that is totally ridoncilous

Really? So we should play all Test matches at altitude? Sucks for the people in PE, Durban and CT then. What a ridiculous idea. The reason we played at Soccer City was because a special day to celebrate Mandela.

It doesn't matter where the Tests are played anyway. If the Springboks can only beat OZ and NZ at altitude, I guess we're not the great team we think we are.

Latest posts