• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbokke in the 2013 RC

To be fair to Justin Marshall - he was very quick when he was younger. But I agree that speed isn't everything for a halfback. My bigger problem with du Preez there is that him and Piet van Zyl can only play home or away tests? Continuity in terms of play and training seem like they could become a problem.

Fourie won't start the first 2 tests... he only joins the boks next week, and Heyneke Meyer said yesterday at a press conference that Fourie is a long-term selection choice. Next year he will be eligible to play all the Springbok tests, and HM said that he wants FdP to settle back into the Bok-fold... So my guess is this. First game, he won't play, 2nd game, bench with about 20 play time, 3rd test maybe start...

As for Piet Van Zyl, I don't see this as a continuity issue... by the time the Boks go overseas, there will be other injuries and other player will be brought in, so Piet knowing that he will play, makes it easier, now he just shouldn't get injured during the Currie Cup...

Would you ask that same question to the Brumbies and George Smth?

In fact, I made the same question at the time. And I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised George Smith, I added him to my fantasy team. I hope that Fourie is in good level as George, both are players that I like.

Regards

Yet the AB's have Piri Weepu ahead of Kerr-Barlow and he certainly isn't any faster than FdP. I'd be surprised if Weepu didn't feature at all and SA only has FdP- who has lead his Japanese club team to 2 consecutive ***le wins by the way and should be rested (playing consistently half-injured for SA and the Bulls towards the RWC 2011 had a big effect on him)- only for 1/2 of the games. FdP's value was also never his speed. Would you leave out Dan Carter because of speed?

Weepu isn't in the squad, the scrum half-halves are: Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara and Kerr-Barlow.

Regards

Siya Kolisi is a good player who deserves to be there or is he a quota player? I don't know him, didn't watch much SR this year. It's true De Villiers affirmative action times are past behind, but in nowadays SA who knows...

Where did Brussow, Kankowsky and many other go?

Siya Kolisi is a good player who deserves to be there or is he a quota player? I don't know him, didn't watch much SR this year. It's true De Villiers affirmative action times are past behind, but in nowadays SA who knows...

Where did Brussow, Kankowsky and many other go?
He's good enough, in that after injuries he was probably our best option at the time, he didn't have an amazing season of SR this past year. He did perform very well in the Bok jersey however. I really like him but he needs to add something more if he wants to stay in the squad, I feel like if you want to make it as an SA loosie, and you're smaller than the rest you need some x-factor, whether that comes from fetching or something like a varied offload game doesn't really matter.

He's good enough, in that after injuries he was probably our best option at the time, he didn't have an amazing season of SR this past year. He did perform very well in the Bok jersey however. I really like him but he needs to add something more if he wants to stay in the squad, I feel like if you want to make it as an SA loosie, and you're smaller than the rest you need some x-factor, whether that comes from fetching or something like a varied offload game doesn't really matter.

Think I got your point here...you should OR be "good nuff" at every side of the sport OR you should be outstanding at something..be it fetching, ball carrying, tackling...whatever.

Saw him against Samoa, didn't impress me besides being a black loose forward...don't get me wrong, I use to see wings, backs or front rowers, but not loose forwards.

P.S: can't wait to see the youngest Du Plessis on that positions...I think he'll be somebody at it.

Kolisi, though smaller than some of the other backrowers is a ***an in defense though and is good enough with ball in hand and on the deck to warrant at leaast a bench spot IMO. Brussow needs to be in the squad as well! For my money if everyone was fit and you'd have 6 backrowers in the squad I'd go for Louw, Alberts, Botha, Brussow, Kolisi and Vermeulen. With Labuschagne next in line.

Kolisi, though smaller than some of the other backrowers is a ***an in defense though and is good enough with ball in hand and on the deck to warrant at leaast a bench spot IMO. Brussow needs to be in the squad as well! For my money if everyone was fit and you'd have 6 backrowers in the squad I'd go for Louw, Alberts, Botha, Brussow, Kolisi and Vermeulen. With Labuschagne next in line.

Man I'm excited about what Richie Gray is doing with the backrowers at the Breakdown. Duane Vermeulen's interview yesterday, made me very curious. He said he learnt a lot, and that the small things that he never even thought of, has made a massive difference for him. I'm just glad that he's ready to play again. Flouw, Alberts and Vermeulen should be our starting backrow group with Kolisi on the bench. Marcel needs a wake-up call.

With Bishi Bashi rugby youe half back be a snail and he will still be quick enough at ruck time with the slow ball SA is getting from being gang tackled.

Latest posts