• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

Brian Moore's Full Contact Rugby: My Lions XV for the first test against South Africa | Podcast

Out of curiosity, would you guys in NZ watch the Lions playing against SA or Aus?
I dont really know how many people would. I dont know a lot of people who watch rugby at all, as far as i know. Theres probably a thousand people at my work (in the city) and id say there are only 5 that i know of who i would be confident watched most home all blacks games. And i have one current friend who watches some all blacks games. My dad and his wife and his brother would watch most all blacks games. Some of my cousins might, occasionally (rural people). I think one of all those people woild watch the lions, and only because he is british. I dont know that any of the others would even watch an all blacks game that wasnt at home (not convenient time).

Is it just me that thought Henderson played himself out of the test team v SA A then? The only properly physical warm-up and he went missing completely!

At the time I thought he was poor and his stats from that game back that up. The going was tough ball in hand for most of the Lions players, so not overly singling him out there, but the guy also only made 2 tackles in over 60min, and wasn't prominent in any other facet of play. He was also part of a pack that really struggled in that first half, but unlike Itoje, Curry and a couple of others who were prominent despite this, I barely knew Henderson was on the pitch. No wonder Beard had an impact when he replaced him, would be hard not to.

I like Henderson, and thought he'd be right in the mix for a starting spot, or a spot on the bench pre tour, but not for me after that showing. Can't risk another no-show vs the physical SA pack.

Similarly Ken Owens may struggle. He tried hard in that game, carrying the ball more than any other Lions forward (probably mainly through quick taps), but he struggled to make much of a dent with those carries. For me LCD and George offer a little more physicality. George hasn't had too many opportunities, but he's been impressive when he has, especially vs Sharks2, and Gat's has previously preferred him to Owens in the past. LCD should start really, unless Gats fancies him as an impact sub.

It's Gatland. Trying to predict him is futile. I exoect there to be several shocks and a team where everyone goes "wrf, why?" As they did when the squad was announced

We could all be wrong and we could have Besrd and AWJ in that row with Itoje at 6!!! Gatland loves his mind games.

Seeing as always the English and Irish have been the biggest moaners on this tour I hope he goes:

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
3. Fargerson
4. Beard
5. AWJ
6. Navidi
7. Watson
8. Faletau
9. Price
10. Bigs
11. VDM
12. Harris
13. Adams
14. LRZ
15. Hogg

Seeing as always the English and Irish have been the biggest moaners on this tour I hope he goes:

1. Wyn Jones
2. Owens
3. Fargerson
4. Beard
5. AWJ
6. Navidi
7. Watson
8. Faletau
9. Price
10. Bigs
11. VDM
12. Harris
13. Adams
14. LRZ
15. Hogg
Surely having Farrell in the team would make us English moan more as we don't want him in a team.

You guys have huge hopes for Fassi dont you? DO you think he'll be a real danger at this level?
I do yes. He is probably the fastest player in SA. Has height and a bit of size though he rather prefers to rely on his swerve. And he is not just a finisher. I like him on the wing just to get into the fold in a less exposed position and add an extra man in the air where Mapimpi and Nkosi aren't anywhere close to what the B&I Lions will offer in terms of ability in the air. Between Gelant - though he is out with injury- and Fassi I feel we have options going forward coming along nicely. Le Roux has always felt to me like a bit of a liability.
Probably need a winger with a bit more grunt and size no? That midfield is powerful but neither Fassi and Kolbe have the beef to battle Duhan for example
I don't think so TBH. Don't get me wrong, I rate DvdM but I believe he will be watched out wide and won't make as much inroads coming into the middle. If anything I think putting Kolbe up against him benefits us. Playing rugby on the wing in the Western Cape all my school years and me being the tall fast white winger playing against the colored schools I faced many a Kolbe type. If you catch them with the ball you monster them and take the ball, if they catch you with the ball you don't get that much out of your power advantage. But if you are just a bit off and they get the ball and youre a second late you are as likely to look like a fool as not whereas if you have the ball with a lead up they'll at least slow you down enough for others to come in unless the try line is near enough to power over and there isn't as much space in test rugby as in schools rugby so I'd rather put my money on the guy with the greater speed over 20m and the ability to work in less space. Also, against SA specifically, the big wingers tend to not feature as much, think of Lomu for instance who never scored against us though that is in large part due to Joost van der Westhuizen (RIP both those legends). Can't run without legs.

Why'd you pick so many Welsh players then?

Good English core running through that side with Watson, Price and Harris, though, so we're happy enough
Well, they're not suffering from PTSD like your lot. Our 2nd string almost beat them in the semi so confident they'd be alright.

Well, they're not suffering from PTSD like your lot. Our 2nd string almost beat them in the semi so confident they'd be alright.
Also you guys are Six Nations champions. It makes sense for the best of the north to face the world champions.

Gatland crying in the press that Faf should've been red carded was embarrassing, glad Rassie clapped back
Yeah I thought that was unnecessary too. Funny that Rassie put out a couple of clips of some dodgy incidents from Farrell as well.

Latest posts