• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

Good to see Russell there. Wondering what George, Beirne and Henderson have done wrong?

Wow away for few weeks on a break and come back to see Lions still a waste.

- Calls for Conan to be dropped when (and I'm his biggest critic) he probably hits his best run of form in career.
- The better Tadge Beirne played the further he was dropped.
- Murray played poorly and got dropped fairly but my got between 9 and 10 they made a balls of selections consistently.

Van Der Merve on wing is there to be picked apart.
No thoughts on Lawes body or AWJ wearing down after 2 hectic weeks.
Aki and Henshaw should've been there from week 1 and well just feel that may be a little too late.

To be honest I was tipping SA by maybe 4 or 5 but increase that slightly.
And well just from knowing Rassie from his time in Munster he is a pure gentleman. But cut throat too.
I didn't agree with his antics over last few weeks but in a results business he has delivered.
After a flat 1st test got the Boks revved up, took pressure off his lads after poor performance and well put pressure on the officials and well I think has really out performed Gatland massively. All while no even being the head of the coaching ticket officially.

Apart from Russell getting a possible 10min run out I see nothing positive that's going to effect the outcome of this match.

Jesus. Win or loose some bold calls. Owens staring is odd, thought he was dreadful at the weekend but isn't really a bench player but would have had George start for his solidity.

I would have had Berine in at 6, but getting dropped entirely is messed up. AWJ re joining the tour has really messed up second and backrow options IMO. Beard looked good but against weak oppo.

Farrell out all together is a big call more down to the lack of midfield cover at 12 at least Russell gives something different at 10 but lack of game time is a big worry. The lack of a settled midfield combo will be a big talking point should the Lion's loose the series.

If you want Russell to try change the game why would you put Murray on the bench alongside him.. makes no sense imo

Really **** tour for Beirne and Henderson. Both could have really helped the Lions as well.
Especially after few weeks of attrition. Henderson was perfect lock for this as it will be a bruiser. Beirne well from a Lions POV they are not picking on form. Selfishly from a Munster POV - Come on home Tadgh safely with that chip on your shoulder.

Leinster - (I hope I'm wrong) but Henshaw will need to be managed as he has been through the wars and has been the cog keeping that Lions backline alive.

If you want Russell to try change the game why would you put Murray on the bench alongside him.. makes no sense imo
I don't think they have a plan to be fair. Lets remember Finn will be extremely rusty too so would benefit from a fast passer IF it is to speed up game.

This is argubally a better bench in SA's eyes to help them win the game than their own bomb squad.

No Farrell. Thank God.

Ken Owens starting; Duhan as well - WTF?

Money on Aki being sent off in the first half.

Good to see Russell on the bench. But will he come on?

Beard being in the 23 is pretty silly, especially when you consider the man he was called up to replace is starting

G.Davies didn't have a great showing in the warmups but deserves to be on the bench
This is my biggest gripe.
At 9. Murray was poor - Fine (don't thnk any 9 has been good) but what is this shuffling. Try something new. Or what is plan B off bench. Instead of box kick left go right.

Gats just hasn't learned form is a key ingredient.

Ken Owens starting..

face oops GIF

Beard being in the 23 is pretty silly, especially when you consider the man he was called up to replace is starting

G.Davies didn't have a great showing in the warmups but deserves to be on the bench
I'm pretty sure after the way the SA maul destroyed the Lions in the last 20 Beard is pretty much solely there to help with that situation towards the end of the game, as its probably his best skillset.

That being said, personally I'd rather play to your own strengths than defensively just try to counter your opponents.

3-8 have started every test. Obviously you can't drop Furlong, Itoje and Curry who are a level above but Henderson, Beirne and Faletau coming in fresh would cause some serious trouble.

The backline just screams bad initial selection to me. The bench screams desperation, Simmonds and Russell don't fit anything the Lions are doing and look like Hail Mary calls.

Wouldn't be surprised if SA didn't concede a try again. What they do isn't pretty but they know exactly what they're doing, the lions don't from my viewings.

I'm so ****** off Adam Beard is in over Henderson. I am absolutely astonished.
Gutted for him, and Beirne. The lad can't do anymore, he must be devastated.

Why is Ken Owens starting? I thought he had a shocker when he came on. (Sorry, we all know why, just getting it out there).

The Murray Russell combo on the bench makes 0 sense. Frustrating.

Simmonds was in the squad to fit the fast pace open play style…… which we've not done once in the 2 test?

I'm so ****** off Adam Beard is in over Henderson. I am absolutely astonished.
Gutted for him, and Beirne.
Why is Ken Owens starting? I thought he had a shocker when he came on. (Sorry, we all know why, just getting it out there).
The Murray Russell combo on the bench makes 0 sense. Frustrating.
Not sure why there is all the astonishment for Ken starting. Coming into the tour most people picked him as the starter. But he's ended up with 10 mins gametime in the first test and 20 mins in the last where the whole Lions team was getting steamrolled.

I understand each selection, i may not agree with them, but i can't understand for the life of me why Ken Owens is starting? LCD has been great, you know George would come off the bench and steady the ship when required, i dont understand this one.

Not sure why there is all the astonishment for Ken starting. Coming into the tour most people picked him as the starter. But he's ended up with 10 mins gametime in the first test and 20 mins in the last where the whole Lions team was getting steamrolled.
I think it's just an insight to how Gatland thinks (or lack of), that someone can come on, have a shocker, miss your darts (which is kinda irrelevant to whether the lions are being steamrolled or not) and then be promoted to starting XV!!

I think it's just an insight to how Gatland thinks (or lack of), that someone can come on, have a shocker, miss your darts (which is kinda irrelevant to whether the lions are being steamrolled or not) and then be promoted to starting XV!!
One of the clear 'misses' was a 5m ball straight to Lawes hands and he spilled it. :s But most of the comments were putting down Owens rather than saying Lawes the impeccable ****** up.

Latest posts