• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

Fingers crossed he stays in New Zealand after the world cup because Nonu and Smith are sure to leave don't you think? I think Sonny needs a few years in the black jersey

Smith along with Kaino are signed through until 2012, and from what i've read about Smith, it sounds like he is committed to playing his rugby in NZ for the next few years ... I think carter and SBW will probably go at some time between the next two world cups, but I think they'll probably come back before 2015

Does anyone know exactly how many "non kiwi" All Blacks we have in the squad at the moment? Guys who didnt grow up in our country I'm meaning

Does anyone know exactly how many "non kiwi" All Blacks we have in the squad at the moment? Guys who didnt grow up in our country I'm meaning

Define Grow Up. In the squad we currently have, every All Black was either born in New Zealand, or lived here since they were five. In the last three or so years, the only All Black that was fairly old when he arrived in New Zealand (16 years old I believe), is Sitivini Sivivatu.

Sonny Bill to return to the ring?

Reports suggest that Sonny Bill Williams will return to the boxing ring just three weeks before the start of the Crusaders' Super Rugby campaign.
Williams last fought in July when he knocked out countryman Ryan Hogan, and the All Black now looks set to make his boxing return at Twickenham on 29 January.
According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, Williams will on Wednesday announce his intentions to fight Scott Lewis in what would be his first headline event.
As a member of the New Zealand squad that toured Europe in November, Williams is only required to report for training with the Crusaders on 1 February. His team-mates will play their first warm-up game on the same night as Williams' proposed bout.
It would appear that Williams boxing aspirations come with the blessing of the New Zealand Rugby Union, but in a World Cup year it seems a massive risk for a player that shone during the November internationals.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_6577835,00.html

The NZRU may approve, but I doubt they'll be pleased if he gets hurt

Edit: http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=487013&cat=boxer

Looks like there's no risk of that as he's going up against another shitty boxer. 3 (1) - 4 (4) record and only 18 rounds managed in 7 fights.

Odd that he's allowed to box at all, normally professional sportsmen aren't allowed to do other 'dangerous' sports (I know Michael Bisping was told to give up rugby when he signed with UFC, and I've heard of players not being allowed to Ski)

He's clearly being treated the same way by the NZRU as the RFU treated Farrell in 2006 with special dispensation - The only difference of course being that people from outside of the RL circles have actually heard of him! So while they're on it, they may as well exploit all the marketability they can.

Ugh. I'm sorry but it's not right. For someone who has in many ways already pushed his luck in getting in the AB team, to then enter a pro boxing match (quality opposition or not), is really making the NZRU look like fools. This close out to a RWC, to not have your full attention on prepearing yourself to be in your best rugby form, is inexcusable. I hope he's knocked the **** out in the first round, so he can put his boxing career out of the way, and if he's concussed, the NZRU can look like the fools they're obviously set on making themselves.

Last edited:
Here comes the haters ...
Hey, hold on a minute. I'm saying I like my number 12's to be dedicated to the sport of rugby, and not faff about doing sports they're not very good at. That doesn't make me a hater, it just makes me non-Welsh.

Dayum.gif

Damn! Someone just got served :p

Hey, hold on a minute. I'm saying I like my number 12's to be dedicated to the sport of rugby, and not faff about doing sports they're not very good at. That doesn't make me a hater, it just makes me non-Welsh.

No it makes you Anti-SBW ....

Wont be a problem..the all blacks have succeeded by not going by the text book. The Blues are training in mixed martial arts at the moment I saw on the news. The training should be good for him and he'll beat the guy with a few bruises. More likley to get injured in rugby then boxing.

Dayum.gif

Damn! Someone just got served :p

LOL....

I think its a good thing for SBW to be Boxing during the off-season. I recommend Boxing to all Rugby players as Boxing fitness (fight trainning) is very VERY hard. Gordon Tietjens puts his 7s squad through vigorous Boxing workouts and many League and Union franchises realise the benefits and incorporate accordingly. SBW can only become a better athlete from this fight, hopefully he gets at least 9 rounds.

He had a poor game last game for the ABs and Im a big fan of his so Im hoping he's trainning very hard and getting good quality sparring. I personally would LOVE to spar Sonny.

LOL....

I think its a good thing for SBW to be Boxing during the off-season. I recommend Boxing to all Rugby players as Boxing fitness (fight trainning) is very VERY hard. Gordon Tietjens puts his 7s squad through vigorous Boxing workouts and many League and Union franchises realise the benefits and incorporate accordingly. SBW can only become a better athlete from this fight, hopefully he gets at least 9 rounds.

He had a poor game last game for the ABs and Im a big fan of his so Im hoping he's trainning very hard and getting good quality sparring. I personally would LOVE to spar Sonny.
His two opponents so far have been so terrible I'll put my money on you. When he bet Ryan "Hulk" Hogan (a seeming parody of Eric "butterbean" Esch), he didn't look like he was all that good, but I guess we won't know until he fights someone of quality.

No problem with doing boxing training as a fitness tool, providing it is used to improve your rugby. I'm not convinced it is in SBW's case. Plenty of good All Blacks were good boxers, Bunce, Rush and Masoe to name a few, but it's just that I don't think entering a pro boxing match, before your first season of S14 is neccesarly a good indicator of where your mind set is. That being said, it is a part of his contract apparently, so I guess the NZRU can hardly complain. I also admit that if it was Ma'a Nonu entering a boxing match before his S14 season, I wouldn't be quite so cynical, so I suppose that's a dirty double standard.

In terms of his skills, I think Liam Messam actually looked better than SBW, at least in this vid -

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts