• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

Haysie

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Reds
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/sbw-signs-for-canterbury-x2026-crusaders-not-bulldogs-20100622-yvsp.html
SONNY BILL WILLIAMS will begin his quest for an All Blacks jersey in Christchurch on July 30 after deciding to play for Canterbury in the national provincial championship and the Crusaders in next year's Super 15 competition.

Williams, who will move to New Zealand after his second professional fight in Brisbane next Wednesday night on the undercard of Anthony Mundine's KO To Drugs event, has again put his goal of playing in next year's World Cup before money by joining Canterbury.

In doing so, he turned down a far more lucrative deal with the ambitious Hawkes Bay outfit, which has been reported as being twice what North Harbour were prepared to pay and included luxury accommodation and a prestige car.

Counties-Manukau, who have signed Williams's mentor Tana Umaga in a playing and assistant coach role, had also made a tempting to offer to Williams, 24, whose family were keen for him to return home to Auckland. But the former NRL superstar believes that playing alongside the likes of Dan Carter and Richie McCaw at NPC and Super rugby level will give him the best chances of fulfilling his ambition to play for the All Blacks in the 2011 World Cup.

Williams, who has signed with the NZRU until the end of the tournament, which will be staged in New Zealand after the Super 15 season, has three goals - to earn All Blacks selection, to be the best All Blacks representative he can possibly be and to play in the World Cup-winning team.

After that he has the option of returning to Europe, where he was offered a world record $6 million three-year deal to stay at French club Toulon, playing in the NRL or remaining in New Zealand. Canterbury are the defending NPC champions, while the Crusaders are the most successful team in the history of Super rugby - having won the competition seven times since its inception in 1996.

The Crusaders, who are coached by former All Blacks captain Todd Blackadder, finished fourth this season - the best of the five New Zealand teams.

Williams's first match for Canterbury will be in the opening round of the NPC against Hawkes Bay at Christchurch's AMI Stadium on Friday, July 30.

Umaga, who yesterday began his duties with Counties-Manukau, said he was unaware of Williams's decision. ''I do talk with him often, but we don't talk about what he's going to do,'' Umaga told a news conference in Pukekohe.

''I have told him that Counties-Manukau is a great place to live … but in the end, he's got to do what's best for himself.'
'

No doubt in my mind he will do very well at ITM and even Super 14, but where he needs to think faster and be quicker off the ball with less space at international level, I can't see him doing that. Will do well in the ITM cup though, I reckon.

I think if he has any chance of becoming an All Black, then playing outside Carter and inside Fruen would be the place for him to be. The Crusaders breed consistancy, which is what Williams would desperately need in order to gain a spot for the RWC, with only a year or so of NZ rugby under his belt.

To you who say it's not confirmed... you owe me a beer if it turns out this way ;)

I think if he has any chance of becoming an All Black, then playing outside Carter and inside Fruen would be the place for him to be. The Crusaders breed consistancy, which is what Williams would desperately need in order to gain a spot for the RWC, with only a year or so of NZ rugby under his belt.

I think Counties for NPC where he can continue learning from Umaga and adjust to the NZ style of play without the pressure there is in Canterbury. I mean everyone knows Counties is going to come last, Sonny Bill could ease in without people slamming him before hes found his feet.

Then he can go to the Crusaders and pair up with Carter for the S14.

Sign to the Crusaders with the priviso that they loan him to Counties, win win.

Like to see him go to Hawkes Bay.

But any club that takes him will have its pro's and con's. SBW will develop with any of the three teams, it will be a great move for him and if he intends to work hard then he will get his reward eventually.

I think Counties for NPC where he can continue learning from Umaga and adjust to the NZ style of play without the pressure there is in Canterbury. I mean everyone knows Counties is going to come last, Sonny Bill could ease in without people slamming him before hes found his feet.

Then he can go to the Crusaders and pair up with Carter for the S14.

Sign to the Crusaders with the priviso that they loan him to Counties, win win.

From where I'm standing, SBW is going to NZ to win the NPC, S14, Tri Nations and World Cup. This is why he signed for Canterbury and the Crusaders. Playing with Tana would have been tempting but or guys like him the only point in competing is to win, and that is what he plans on doing I reckon. Best of luck to him.

Meh, until the NZRU or other NZ source reports it, I'm holding my breath. ;)

This raises an interesting moral dilemma!
In the world of media, with the world the way it is, is the fastest source generally the most reliable? The reasoning behind this being that the synthesisers haven't had a chance to "soften" it, as they would a press release?
Or would you rather trust a confirmed report by one of the parties involved? (Keeping in mind that their viewpoint would be solely expressed, eg. nothing at all would be said by the Cantabs about the Hawkes Bay luxury apartment and car deal)

I'm interested to know what you guys think!

(Admartian, I don't intend for this to be having a go at you mate, I am genuinely curious. Sorry if it comes across that way.)

This raises an interesting moral dilemma!
In the world of media, with the world the way it is, is the fastest source generally the most reliable? The reasoning behind this being that the synthesisers haven't had a chance to "soften" it, as they would a press release?
Or would you rather trust a confirmed report by one of the parties involved? (Keeping in mind that their viewpoint would be solely expressed, eg. nothing at all would be said by the Cantabs about the Hawkes Bay luxury apartment and car deal)

I'm interested to know what you guys think!

(Admartian, I don't intend for this to be having a go at you mate, I am genuinely curious. Sorry if it comes across that way.)
No worries - didn't take it as such. :)

I'd prefer those, within the context of the situation (in this instance New Zealand rugby and its outlets) to report the news. No disrespect to foreign media that is. It's the same as an American citizen commenting on the landscape of their political climate, as opposed to our own humble views and on opinions.

In other words, more reliable.
lol Yes.

Heard it on SportRadio on the drive to uni this morning too. :)

Good to know he's in that environment. Imagine next year with Carter, SBW, Fruean, with Guildford & Maitland (and possibly Dagg) on the outside. Freaky.

The Cantab. sport system has a knack of making sports professionals. Very good environment down there. Although Hawke's Bay is a similar environment.

Dagg is playing for canterbury now?

i guess some poor darky's gonna miss their spot in the team now :(

whats sad is that he might get a free ticket into the ab's just because nzru had to pay a bunch of money to get him to sign

Last edited:
Some poor darky's gonna miss their spot in the team? If anything theres Fotuali'i, SBW, Fuean and Maitland that are all "darky's".....

Massive signing but wished he had signed for Hawkes Bay instead.

Latest posts